Search for content in message boards

Pastor Drury Dobbins

Replies: 1

Pastor Drury Dobbins

Posted: 27 Sep 2008 4:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dobbins, Collins
I descend from the Dobkins line, which is often spelled Dobbins. My cousin sent this information to me but it's not my line that I know of. I hope this helps someone. It's an article titled Paston Drury Dobbins which I'm transcribing in it's entirety here.

A man that many called the Father of the Baptist denomination in western NC was called to be the church's second preacher. Drury Dobbins brought his biblical knowledge, his unflagging faith and his strong voice to Double Springs in 1846 and helped mold its early growth until his death on May 19, 1847.

Dobbins was born in Spartanburg Co., SC then known as York district, to William and Susannah Collins Dobbins on April 14 1776.

His family moved to the Ellenboro area when he was a youngster. He married Hannah Sams Callahan in 1793 and their only child ARtie Mincie Dobbins was born in 1794. It is reported that he began his ministry about the age of 20. He was ordained on March 12 1803 at State Line Baptist Church.

Immediately after being ordained, Dobbins became pastor of Sandy Run Chruch. He served the Lord and His people there from 1803 through 1847. In addition to Double Springs and Sandy Run, Paston Dobbins also served Zion and Buffalo.

Elder Dobbins was a great favorite of the people. It is said he married more couples, preached more funerals, had more namesakes, preached the Gospel for less money and had less complaints than any other man of his time.

Rutherford countyhistorian Clarence Griffin once said "The Baptist denomination of this area owed more to Reverend Dobbins than any other single individuals for the grownth and development of the Baptist religion in Cleveland and Rutherford Counties. The large Baptist population it he two counties today is evidence of his good works."

Dobbins who labored as a farmer and shoemaker stood 5'10" tall. He had a square heavy build and weighted about 200 pounds. He had dark hair and dark eyes and a distinguished looking face.

For nearly 50 years he covered Cleveland and Rutherford counties, riding his bay mare as he traveled from one brush arbor camp meeting to the next. In his saddlebags he carried a Bible, a hymnal, a slab of bacon, a pone of cornbread and a blanket that he used for cover the many times that he camped out under the stars.

He helped organixe Capernum, High Shoals, Zion, Zoar, and First Baptist of Shelby. He also pushed for the establishment of a separation of the Broad River Baptist Assn. The King's Mountain Assn was formed in 1851 - just 4 years after his death.

Dobbins was buried in this family cemetery on his plantation which is located 1 mile north of the present day Drury Dobbins Church.

End of article.

My particular interest in Drury is his mother's Collins family. If you have any information about this please contact me. The Collins family is also found in Claiborne, Hancock and Hawkins Counties in Tennessee where the Dobkins family is as well. Also, I encourage anyone carrying the Dobbins surname to test their DNA in the Dobbins or Dobkins surname projects so we can sort these family lines out. Both spellings have projects established at the same testing company, so we'll know if they match. Be sure that your results are set to compare to the entire data base so that you'll know if you match others outside of the surname project.

Roberta Estes
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
RobertaEstes1... 27 Sep 2008 10:56PM GMT 
rdwedel35 12 Jun 2013 5:16PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Terms and Conditions