Search for content in message boards

Spiller DNA project

Replies: 13

Re: Spiller DNA project

Posted: 6 Feb 2009 6:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Spiller, Spears
Steven:

I think I found your grandfather, John Boone Spiller, on the 1920 census in Hemphill Co., TX as a son of Hollis B. Spiller (whom I have in my database).

If your great grandfather was Hollis Barclay Spiller, then you are a cousin of mine. Hollis' father was James Madison Spiller, b. 27 Jan 1810 in Nelson or Buckingham Co., VA. He m. Caroline Kyle on 3 Aug 1841 in Botetourt Co. VA. James died 23 Oct 1889 in Botetourt Co. Some of his sons when to VMI. I have LOTS of information on James and his family. He was my GGGG Grandfather's brother and left a lot of letters, documents, ledgers, etc... which are now archived in the College of Wm. & Mary in Williamsburg, VA. I've been studying his documents for the last several years. James stayed in VA and ran large plantations after the death of their mother, Mary "Polly" Spears (1793-1848). He was also a Lock Builder on the James River. The other 3 brothers went to TX as well as some of James' sons .... son, Hollis Barclay Spiller and son, George William Spiller (George settled in Jack Co., TX). Fortunately, we have a lot on the descendants of this line. Our problem is with the ancestors of James' dad, George W. Spiller (1788-1830). My cousin has provided the DNA profile for the males in our line but there are other Spiller lines that we need DNA profiles for comparison and to prove whether or not they all descend from the same early American Spiller family or whether we have multiple Spiller lines in the U.S.

Steven, if you are, in fact, a descendant of James Madison Spiller then your DNA profile should match my cousins....BOTH being descendants of George W. Spiller (1788-1830) and Mary "Polly" Spears.

I'd love to see a DNA profile from one of the LA Spillers, the GA Spillers, the SC Spillers, the IL Spillers, and the 'other' TX Spillers who settled in Limestone Co., TX.!! Maybe one day we'll know if they are all connected and to whom in early VA or MD.

Steven, I hope to hear back from you to compare notes on our Spiller lines.

Karen Lawless

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Karen Lucas 3 Jan 2008 4:22PM GMT 
priscillaslin... 10 Jul 2008 3:33AM GMT 
Rooseveltspil... 11 Apr 2013 4:19AM GMT 
Rooseveltspil... 11 Apr 2013 4:30AM GMT 
Karen Lucas 13 Apr 2013 4:43PM GMT 
rachel18711 20 Jul 2008 7:17PM GMT 
Karen Lucas 7 Feb 2009 1:23AM GMT 
Contribution 5 Sep 2011 9:11PM GMT 
stevespiller 6 Feb 2009 11:38PM GMT 
Karen Lucas 7 Feb 2009 1:56AM GMT