Search for content in message boards

Sniders in Tuscaloosa, AL

Sniders in Tuscaloosa, AL

Posted: 17 Mar 2006 3:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Snider, Garner, Banks
My GG Grandmother was Mariah E. Snider, daughter of Jacob & Elizabeth Snider. Mariah was babt: 1842-45 her siblings were listed in the 1850 census as: John A, William, Sarah F., James, Mary, Henry F., Virginia, Collins, and Sissy. The 1880 census has a John & William Snider listed as brothers staying w/ Mariah and her husband Melvin Garner (son of Abraham & Nancy Garner). Jacob was in the group of Sniders that migrated from SC to AL by covered wagon., any information on Jacob, his siblings is appreciated...

Re: Sniders in Tuscaloosa, AL

Posted: 18 Mar 2006 12:22AM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2006 10:34PM GMT
Carol, do you know if your Snider family had any connections in GA or TN. I am looking for family of James L. Snider b. abt 1850 and moved to Blount CO, TN before 1871.
Diane

Posted: 28 Mar 2006 3:11PM GMT
Edited: 17 Nov 2006 1:52PM GMT
Hi Diane, sorry I just began my Snider research however I will be making trips to SC & Tuscaloosa Al soon, if I run into any info I will email you.

John (View posts)
Posted: 3 Oct 2006 5:49AM GMT
I may be a distant "cuz", Carol. Cut & dried, here's what i have on my SNIDER line.
Jacob SNIDER b. abt 1816 SC,USA
+Elizabeth RILEY b. 1812 Tuscaloosa Co., Al.
7 Aug 1837 Tuscaloosa Co., Al.
i. Mariah b. ? d. 3 Apr 1880
ii. Daniel M. b. abt 1838 d. ?
+ Julia Ann Matilda HARRIS
20 Oct 1859 Tuscallosa Co., Al.
iii. John R. b. Oct 1839 d. Jan 1904 Tuscaloosa Co., Al.
iv. Mary J. b. abt 1840
v. Sarah F. b. abt 1841
vi. William b. 14 Sep 1841 d. 8 Jan 1913
vii. James J. b. abt 1843
viii. Virginia b. abt 1845
ix. Henry F. b. 8 Jan 1845 d. 24 Mar 1918 Tuscaloosa Co., Al.
x. Collins b. May 1847 d. Jun 1930 Tuscaloosa Co., Al.
xi. Sissy b. abt 1849

Jacob's dad:
I think he was John M. SNIDER
John M. SNIDER b. 1786-89 SC d. ?
+ 1.) Mary MNU
+ 2.) Polly HOPKINS
I think John came to Tuscaloosa Co. w/ his ma ca 1820. Jacob might have been a child of John M. & Mary MNU.

John M.'s dad & mom:
Hans Jacob SCHNEIDER b. 13 Feb 1741-42 Parish Eglisau, Oberiedt, Switz. d. 1814 SC
+ Susannah OSWALT b. abt 1755 Lexington, Lexington Co., SC d. abt 1835 Tuscaloosa Co., Al.
John M. was younger brother to George, my SNIDER line.
yours,
John

Posted: 2 Dec 2006 1:50AM GMT
Surnames: Snider, McGee, Christian, McMillion
Do you know who James Snider, b. 1843, married, and the names of his children?

Carol (View posts)
Posted: 2 Dec 2006 2:52AM GMT
Surnames: Snider/Snyder
Hi Joyce, I have a copy of a marriage cert for James L. Snider who married Nancy Francis "Frannie" Garner on May 25, 1876 in Tuscaloosa County. I believe this James is the brother of my GG Grandmother Mariah Snider, he was born 1843. Mariah Snider married Pinkney Melvin Garner on the same day as James Snider married Frannie Garner whom I believe is Melvin Garner's older sister. In fact their marriage records are on the same page. On some census records I see what appears to be James J. Snider although clearly on the marriage record it is J L Snider. I do not know the names of their children yet. James Snider's parents were Jacob & Elizabeth (Riley) Snider and they are buried at the Old Center Cemetery in Northport, Ala., I have photo's of the Cemetery & headstones, I did not see James there nor Mariah, but if they were living in Cottondale, AL, they might be at the Hopewell Cemetery or the Big Sandy. I have the history of the Sniders/Snyders going back to Wurrtenberg, Ger, their arrival in Charleston SC in 1742 and the migration of Sussanah Snider (Mother of Matthias, John, George & others) would be happy to share the info I have...I do research trips to Tuscaloosa several times a year and will look for James & Frannies' Children...Carol

Joyce Louis (View posts)
Posted: 2 Dec 2006 3:11AM GMT
I know my James Snider's wife was Eliza, C.___ and I suspected he was not Jacob's son. If the James you know to be Jacob's son married someone else (Fannie and...) that seems to confirm that my James is of another Snider family. Alas, I have no clue as to which one. In addition to Dovey, Collins and Ebenezer, there was a Sampson or two in their naming choices. Thanks for your reply.

Debbie Maddox (View posts)
Posted: 3 Dec 2006 4:29PM GMT
Or your James could have been married more then once?? Just a thought

Posted: 3 Dec 2006 8:06PM GMT
Joyce, I am looking for a James L. Snider b. abt 1849-1851 maybe in GA. He married in TN in 1872 but I lost track of him after the 1880 census. Do you know the middle name of the James Snider you are looking for? Also, could your James Snider have been married more than once?
Diane Snyder

Joyce Louis (View posts)
Posted: 4 Dec 2006 1:49AM GMT
Hello, My James Snider was probably James T. Snider. I don't know the name. The census was a bit hard to read and it could have been James J. Snider. Joyce Louis
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Terms and Conditions