Search for content in message boards

VANCE: NC>Cannon County,TN 1700 to present

Gena M. Burns-Harrison (View posts)
Posted: 7 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
PREVIOUS MESSAGE CONTINUED...

John Daniel VANCE's widow, Katie, brought the children up in Cannon County, TN. Thomas Edward VANCE (their son and my G. Grandfather), dob: 03 Dec 1830 & dod: 15 Jan 1899 served in a TN Cav Unit during the American Civil War. He married Mahala (CAMPBELL) Armstrong Vance on 14 Feb 1867. (She was the widow of John G. Armstrong...and together they had 4 children.)

John and Mahala had 8 children together. They were Sarah "Sallie" Ann (VANCE) Blanks, Serena C. (VANCE) [1st-Gaither] Blanks, John Daniel "Bud" VANCE, James Hall VANCE, Jesse Sanford VANCE, Callie Ann (VANCE) McFerrin, twins- Della (VANCE) Alexander and Zella (VANCE) Odom.

James Hall VANCE, dob: 10 July 1874, dod: 11 Nov 1950, was my maternal grandfather. He married first: Alpha Omega (DAVENPORT) Vance, and second (my grandmother): Miza Elizabeth (JONES) Vance. With each wife, he had 7 children, with 6 from each marriage, surviving to adulthood.

I do not have much to go on...but I would dearly love to hear from you if you find or suspect a connection. I feel like I am one generation away from being able to continue my VANCE research. Please feel free to E-mail me at the above address. THANKS!

Gena M. Burns-Harrison (View posts)
Posted: 7 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Arnold, Bogle, Bryson, Buck, Campbell, Cloud, Davenport, Dyson, Gaither, Holmes, Hudson, Jacob, Jones, Ruley, Shuman, Smith, Tenpenny, VANCE, Walters, Worley
I have been trying to find a lead for quite some time now on my VANCE family line. The problem comes in when my Great Grandfather (x2) died at approximately 35 years of age. There is not much information available on he or his family line. Per family tradition, our VANCE line came from North Carolina via Scotland...but I have NO proof of this.

I am looking for a John Daniel VANCE dob:1804 (NC) & dod: 1839. He married Katherine "Katie" (TENPENNY) Vance dob: 1806 & dod (unk). She was the daughter of Richard TENPENNY,
(the first) and Barbara (SHUMAN) Tenpenny.

John and Katie VANCE had several children, those known are: Thomas Edward VANCE, (John) Daniel VANCE and Katherine (VANCE) Richards.

John and Katie VANCE lived in Cannon County, Tennessee.
I cannot prove it, but I do not believe that others in their VANCE family line also resided there. There is another VANCE family line that has long time ties to the Cannon County, TN area and although I have not been able to locate a link...I believe the two are distantly related (at least in this day.) Back during the early 1800s, I believe my G.G.Grandfather had close relatives in his vicinity...and probably knew well the connection that I seek to the other VANCEs there.

The section of Cannon County in which they resided, had been Wilson County, TN. When the county lines were re-drawn in order to form a new county, that land became Cannon County. And, of course, Tennessee had just become a state in 1796...a mere 8 years before John Daniel VANCEs birth. The family may have already been in the state of TN prior to the state's lines being re-drawn...therefore, originally residents in the State of North Carolina...and never actually "moved"...the state merely changed names.

John Daniel VANCE died (at age 34/35) as a result of a wagon overturning. It was said that he was driving a wagon loaded with supplies and the wheel slipped off of the narrow ridge road in the hills of Cannon County and he tried to prevent losing the wagon, team and supplies. The wagon overturned and pinned him beneath its weight. He was crushed and died from internal injuries. His widow

Re: VANCE: NC>Cannon County,TN 1700 to present

Posted: 7 Nov 2010 7:47PM GMT
Surnames: Vance, Elledge, Richard
While trying to find a link with Samuel Vance b. c1813 to Thomas Vance and Katherine Richard, the following was found in Tennessee Tidbits, 1778-1914, Volume 4 By Marjorie Hood Fischer at:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Cyri5kfMVSQC&lpg=PA468&...

Vance, John
Died before 4 May 1840 when Richard Tenpenny was appointed Administrator, with J.C. Martin & Joseph Ramsey as security.(Can TN, Co Ct Min 1/473)On 4 July 1842 Samuel Vance was appointed guardian of Katherine, Mary Ann, Thomas, Richard, and James and (blank) Vance, the minor heirs of John Vance decd. Isaac W. Elledge and Joseph Ramsey were security. (Ibid B/73). The mother of the minors, Katherine Vance, objected to a guardian settlement made 5 June 1848. (Ibid 370). On 2 February 1852 Thomas Vance Jr. was appointed guardian to James Vance and Daniel Vance, Minor heirs of John Vance Deceased, with Samuel Vance, James Peyton & Jessee Richards as security. [It is not certain that this is the same John Vance] (ibid C/128).

I have seen John Vance & Samuel Vance as sons of Thomas Vance and Katherine Richard, but no direct links to tie them together...however the mention of Richard Tenpenny ties this to Katherine (Tenpenny) Vance, wife of John, and mother referred to of minor heirs.

In addition Isaac W. Elledge is the brother-in-law of Samuel Vance through wife Sarah Ann Elledge...and the additional name of Jessee Richard, make the family ties a bit too coincidental. Further research may shed better light, but it appears there was a direct tie between John Vance & Samuel Vance that adds credence to the assumption they were descendents of Thomas Vance and Katherine Richard.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Terms and Conditions