Search for content in message boards

John Braxton Stogner/Elizabeth Deal

John Braxton Stogner/Elizabeth Deal

Posted: 14 Mar 2010 2:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, I'm looking for information on John Braxton Stogner and his wife Elizabeth Deal. They were married in 1836 in Noxubee County. I am particularly interested in finding information on their parents.

Re: John Braxton Stogner/Elizabeth Deal

Posted: 17 Jul 2011 8:05PM GMT
I hope I have some useful information for you. I have a copy of a book, "Noxubee County, Missippi Marriages 1834-1869", published by the Noxubee County Historical Society, in Macon, MS, 1979 (2nd printing). In this book, John B. "Mogner" and Elizabeth Deal are listed as having married on 3 Jun 1836 in Noxubee Co., MS. The officiant was given as S. G. Jenkins, M.G.

My bet is that the groom was actually John Braxton Stogner, and the person who copied the name from the old handwritten records misinterepreted "St" as "M". I did not find any other mention of a person named "Mogner" in any of the other Nox. Co. Hist. Soc. books that I have. However, I did find the following record:
---
D. W. Crawford (groom) m. E. A. Stogner (bride)on 29 Dec 1879 in Noxubee Co, MS. This was listed in "Noxubee County, Mississippi Marriages, Vol. II 1870-1904", published by the Noxubee County Historical Society, in Macon, MS, 1976.
---
So there were Stogner's living in Noxubee County in the 1800's, but no other mention of anyone named "Mogner".

Elizabeth Deal's parents are:
(father) John W. Deal, b. 1774 in VA, d. after 1857
(mother) Frances Collins, b. 1789 in Brooklyn, Noxubee Co., MS, d. 21 Oct 1856 in Cooksville, Noxubee Co, MS.
John W. Deal and Frances were married about 1818.

John W. Deal's parents are:
(father) Alexander Deal, b. 1755, d. 1803 in Laurens Co., SC.
(mother) Mary Bourne, b. Bef. 1755 in Culpeper Co., VA, d. 21 Jul 1834 in Laurens Co., SC.
Alexander and Mary were married in VA.

Alexander Deal's parents were Alexander Deale (note the final e) and Susannah Wilson.

I have more information on the above, including children.

I hope this helps.

Posted: 17 Jul 2011 8:19PM GMT
I have a favor to ask of nebjones. Might I ask you to check your marriage book for me? I am searching for a marriage record for Elizabeth Robinson and H. G. Williams. His name may be written as Henderson or Henry. The marriage was likely around 1850 - 53. I do not know where they lived in 1850, but she was born in MS. They are found in the west part of Pickens County, Al in 1860. Their first child was born in 1854.

Posted: 18 Jul 2011 5:10PM GMT
Thank you for the information. There has been some debate as to the marriage of John Braxton and Elizabeth Deal within Stogner circles. Please email me at garjohn@verizon.net with any other information on the two families.

Posted: 18 Jul 2011 7:24PM GMT
As you requested, I have checked "Noxubee County, Missippi Marriages 1834-1869", published by the Noxubee County Historical Society, in Macon, MS, 1979 (2nd printing). Unfortunately, there is no listing for an H. G. Williams (or Henderson or Henry Williams), nor any listing for Elizabeth Robinson. Sorry.

Posted: 18 Jul 2011 7:31PM GMT
Thank you. I appreciate the effort. I have a lot of brick walls in that region.

Re: Williams

Posted: 18 Jul 2011 8:48PM GMT
I would check Pickens Co references for these folks.There are lots of Williams descendants in Pickens. I found Henry T s/o (John Williams b.1820) in Pickens co Heritage book . We have( Mamie Wms 1862-1918) d/o Thomas W, a Judge. We have Gershon Wms 1847-1880 in our Mustin tree. Our Williams are from Carrollton area in Pickens.

Re: Williams

Posted: 18 Jul 2011 9:02PM GMT
Surnames: Williams, Robinson, Ferguson in Pickens County
I have been looking for these folks for nearly 20 years. I had four family lines that converge in the 1860 census of Pickens County. None of them are found in the 1850 census of any county in the region (WILLIAMS, ROBINSON and FERGUSON). I may have figured out the Ferguson, but the others are simply not there. I hired a pro to locate Elizabeth Robinson last year. She found only a couple of leads that I did not have already. Those could not be verified. It was a waste of money.

Posted: 2 Aug 2011 7:46PM GMT
Surnames: Stogner
Back during the pre-Civil War years, say 1850 to 1860, there was a J.B. Stogner family (husband, wife, and several kids) who farmed some land that belongs to my family -- the VanDevender/Neal place near Gholson, but located in Kemper County. The valley that the Stogners cultivated is still known to this day as ''the Stogner bottom''. I wonder if that's the family you're referring to. (This family had a BUNCH of kids.)

Posted: 2 Aug 2011 9:17PM GMT
It is very possible--my father-in-law tells me that his grandpa and great grandpa (Abe Greer Stogner and Benjamin Bynum Stogner, respectively) were sharecroppers a lot of their lives, although Benjamin was also a traveling preacher in Mississippi and Texas. Benjamin was one of 15/16 kids of John Braxton and Elizabeth Stogner.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Terms and Conditions