Search for content in message boards

Family Connection to Ralph or Walter PUSEY (USA)

Family Connection to Ralph or Walter PUSEY (USA)

Posted: 5 Oct 2005 8:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Jul 2006 4:52PM GMT
Surnames: Pusey, Metevia
My father was a cousin of Ralph Pusey. His mothers maiden name was Pusey. Her father was William H. Pusey. Walter married Catherine Metevia . I would like more information on the Puseys. Ralph lived in California and they used to visit regularly. I can be reached by E-mail at jancl@cybertrails. com.

Info re: William H PUSEY Family (PA & MI, USA)

John Morris (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 2005 8:00PM GMT
Edited: 27 May 2006 5:46PM GMT
Surnames: Pusey, Story, Cornman, Bowater
Jane,

I haven't determined if your line connects to the Chester county Quaker Puseys but the circumstantial evidence looks promising. It looks like William H. Pusey was born 1845 in Indiana and m. Elizabeth Cornman. They were the parents of Alice, Viola, Laura, and Walter/Ralph.

William H. Pusey was the son of William Pusey and Mariah Story and had siblings Elizabeth, Mary, Joseph/Joshua, Emma, and Laura. William was born in Pennsylvania 1812-1817, Mariah was born in England 1824-1827. They were both living in Bay County, Mich. as of the 1880 census.

William's parents were both born in Pennsylvania. Based on his year of birth, they would have been born 1765-1799. I have not (yet) found any Puseys in Pennsylvania born in that time period that were NOT part of the Chester County Pusey family.

Based on the 19th century given names, I suspect they descend from William Pusey and Elizabeth Bowater, perhaps through their son Joshua or son William. There are some sons who could have been William's father but I haven't found any proof yet.

On another angle, do you suppose a death certificate or newspaper death notice/obituary for William Pusey from the 1880's would shed some clues?

John

Re: Family Connection to Ralph or Walter PUSEY (USA)

Posted: 7 Jul 2009 11:09PM GMT
I have a public tree on Ancestry.com named newell-garcia.
My grandfather was named Walter James Pusey. I don't recall any Ralph's in my tree but you are welcome to take a look. Of course the living members just show as living. Maybe you will find something helpful.

Posted: 8 Jul 2009 3:55PM GMT
The Walter Pusey I have in my family was born Aug. 4, 1891. He married a Catherine Metevia and they had a son by the name of Ralph Pusey born in 1911 and lived in Pomona, CA. Walter Pusey lived in Bay City and Ecorse, MI.

Posted: 9 Jul 2009 7:45PM GMT
My grandfather was born about that time but he was born in Maryland and married Mathilda Norris of Corelaine, County Cork, Ireland. They lived in Norfolk, VA and had seven children. Interestingly enough, almost anyone with the name Pusey in the U.S. descended from one of two brothers. I will see if I can find my PDF file on the history of the Pusey name. It is really very interesting. Good luck with your continued search. You might try contacting maryanne pusey of Florida. She has done extensive research on the Pusey families. There is an annual Pusey family reunion. Should be coming up soon. Contact me at rkayg99@hotmail.com
I will check with maryanne about giving you her email address and I will check with her on when the Pusey family
reunion will be and where it will be.

Posted: 10 Jul 2009 4:53PM GMT
My William Pusey was born in Penn. Wife's name as Maria, had 8 children, Robert, Grace, Stella, Daisey, Alice, Viola, Laura, Walter. Walter had two boys named Ralph, b. 1911 and Harold.
I have a newpaper article dated 1950 about a Pusey that was a close friend of William Penn founder of Pennsylvania. A family named Crozer bought the estate from Pusey's heirs in 1845.
Does your ancestry go back that far?
Jane

Posted: 10 Jul 2009 11:05PM GMT
So far I've traced my Pusey family back to the 1700's. You're welcome to visit my newell-garcia tree on ancestry.com and see if you find any connections. I've found many cousins over the last 10 yrs. some are 7th cousins but there is still a connection.

Posted: 11 Jul 2009 4:21PM GMT
Hi Jane,
I'm part of the Eastern Shore Puseys and related to Ruth. I've read your thread, and really doubt that you're from our group of Puseys. Our William arrived in MD in 1680, while Caleb Pusey came to PA with William Penn a bit earlier I believe. It is the latter Puseys who seem more likely to have been your ancestors in this country. John Morris gave you some information in 2005 about that branch that just "feels" right to me. (I don't discount these hunches, as they've proven to be correct time and time again in my research.) Have you pursued the PA research? Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Posted: 25 Nov 2010 4:52AM GMT
I had an uncle Ralph Pusey of the Chester County Puseys. He was married to Anna May, maiden name I am not certain of, but will provide what information I have about him.

With regard to Caleb Pusey, he was William Penn's business partner, having arrived in Pennsylvania in 1682. The following is from the Caleb Pusey House and Landingford Plantation Web site at http://www.delcohistory.org/fcph
---
Built in 1683 and occupied by Caleb Pusey, this is the only building still standing which can claim documented association with the Proprietor, William Penn, and which he is known to have visited on several occasions. This unique English Vernacular house stands beside Race Street, the small road once paralleling the millrace that brought water from Chester Creek to power the mills.

"Landing Ford" was the name Pusey gave to the 100 - acre plantation adjoining the mill site which Penn had deeded to him and which he cultivated to raise food for his large family.

Pusey had come to Pennsylvania in 1682 to serve Penn as manager and agent for the Chester Mills, the first official Proprietary saw and grist mill to be established by Penn in the colony.

Being new to Ancestry.com, I am in the midst of learning how to use the site's research database and will provide copies of several birth/death/marriage certificates in my possession. They are from the personal files of my late father, William Robert Klaus (d. Oct. 15, 2005).

Posted: 25 Nov 2010 2:22PM GMT
Thank you for your reply and offer to share info and documents. My mother has never had much interest in genealogy and apparently my grandfather didn't either. One of my Pusey cousins has provided some info but primarily of the who married who and children's names. No real info on what people did. Unfortunately neither of us have been able to uncover the answer to the exact date of death of my grandfather's mother: Oceana (Ocea) Pusey nee Garley. My grandfather said she died when he was in fifth grade which would be around 1898-1899. I think his sister Myrtle died around the same time because my mom never heard of her and there is no record of her after the 1900 census. My mom believes her grandmother died either in childbirth or from typhoid fever. Walter James Pusey, died of cancer. Again, thank you for the reply and offer of information. Regards, Ruth
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyTerms and Conditions