Search for content in message boards

Looking for information on Polly Wooten

Looking for information on Polly Wooten

Posted: 24 Feb 2004 12:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Mar 2004 3:21PM GMT
Surnames: Wooten, Salyers, Francis
I am looking for information on Polly Wooten born in early 1800's. She is my gggrandmother. Her daughter was Martha Wooten (born 1855). Martha was married to James Salyers and they lived in Leslie County, Ky. Later in her life, Polly lived with Martha and James.

Would appreciate any information on Polly or her husband....
Thanks!

Re: Looking for information on Polly Wooten

Posted: 15 Apr 2004 4:24PM GMT
Edited: 4 May 2005 3:14AM GMT
Surnames: Wooten
Hello, I was wondering if there is any relation to McKinney families. My great grandfather was Marcus Wooten and that is as far as I can go. His wife was Cora Deckard Wooten and they had 9 kids as far as I know. My great uncle just past away, Woodrow Wilson Wooten. All of my family come from around Barren county and Russle County. There is probably no connection, but you never know.

Posted: 15 Apr 2004 10:09PM GMT
Edited: 15 Jul 2005 5:38PM GMT
Surnames: Wooten, Wooton, Salyers
Edwin, I don't know if our Wooton's (Wooten's) are related, but I've added information that I received recently which might help you at some point.

Ancestors of Martha Wooton

Generation No. 1

1. Martha Wooton, born in Wooton, Leslie Co., KY. She was the daughter of 2. William Wooton and 3. Polly Cornett.

Generation No. 2

2. William Wooton, born 1797 in NC. He was the son of 4. Sr. Charles Wooton, Sr. and 5. Sarah Davis. He married 3. Polly Cornett March 22, 1815 in Clay Co., KY.
3. Polly Cornett, born 1797 in Clay Co., KY. She was the daughter of 6. Nathaniel Cornett and 7. Mildred "Millie" Hensley.

Children of William Wooton and Polly Cornett are:
i. William Wooton, born in Wooton, Leslie Co., KY.
1 ii. Martha Wooton, born in Wooton, Leslie Co., KY.
iii. II Irvin Wooton, born 1816 in KY; married Nancy Feltner Abt. 1836 in KY; born Abt. 1820 in Perry Co., KY.

Notes for II Irvin Wooton:
"Known to be very agile, even in his old age. He could jump fences, turn somersaults and was said to be a prize fighter." ["HISTORY OF LESLIE CO., KY. Pages 137-140.]
On some documents Irvin Wooton's first name was spelled "Erven" .

iv. Celia Wooton, born 1817 in Wooton, Leslie Co., KY.
v. John Wooton, born Abt. 1820.
vi. Thomas A. Wooton, born Abt. 1822.
vii. Polly Wooton, born 1827 in Wooton, Leslie Co., KY.

Generation No. 3

4. Sr. Charles Wooton, Sr., born Bet. 1777 - 1781 in Ashe Co., NC; died in Leslie Co., KY. He was the son of 8. William Wooton. He married 5. Sarah Davis.
5. Sarah Davis, born 1772 in Onslow Co., NC; died 1858 in Wooton, Leslie Co., KY. She was the daughter of 10. Jeremiah Davis.

Notes for Sr. Charles Wooton, Sr.:
Charles Wooton, son of William, was born in North Carolina during the Revolutionary War. He grew up there and married Sarah DAVIS. Charles, his wife Sarah and their children came to Kentucky in 1800. They traveled across North Carolina, across Eastern Tennessee, and through the Cumberland Gap into
Kentucky. They traveled the Wilderness Trail to what is now London, Kentucky. From London they went to Manchester, Kentucky. In 1807 Charles Wooton came to what is now Wooton in Leslie County. He
had with him his wife Sarah, several children, his sister Sally, who was 15 years of age, and perhaps his brothers Frederick and John. It was not easy to reach such a remote mountain area, which was situated on the Middle Fork of the Kentucky River, on a branch of the Cutshin Creek. This branch of the Cutshin was later named "Wooton's Creek".
Charles later left Sarah and his family and went north, where he remarried and raised a second family. Sarah raised their children on the farm at Wooton, where she and Charles first settled. Sarah is buried in one of the oldest cemeteries in Leslie County which is located back of the Muncy School at Wooton. ["PIONEER FAMILIES OF LESLIE COUNTY", by Sadie W. Stidham, Corbin, KY - 1986]

Charles was known to have located a lead mine in Wooton, KY, which he visited secretly at night. He used the lead to mold bullets for him and others in a dead stump in his yard. He promised to tell his family the location of the mine, but he became estranged and left to Ohio without telling anyone the location of the mine. No one has been able to locate the mine yet. ["RUGGED TRAIL TO APPALACHIA",
by Mary T. Brewer - 1978]

Notes for Sarah Davis:
Sarah secured a land patent on her property after Charles left in 1822. She lived and died on the farm at Wooton, near where the Baptist Church sat in 1978. She is buried behind W. B. Muncy School, in Wooton, KY. The cemetery is known to be one of the oldest in the county. ["RUGGED TRAIL TO APPALACHIA" by Mary T. Brewer - 1978]

Children of Charles Wooton and Sarah Davis are:
i. Hiram Wooton, born in Ashe Co., NC; died 1870 in Wooton, Leslie Co., KY; married Louisa Fields January 25, 1852 in Perry Co., KY; born Abt. 1820; died in Wooton, Leslie Co., KY.
ii. Jr. Charles Wooton, Jr., born in Wooton, Leslie Co., KY; married Jane Stidham; born 1815 in Leslie Co., KY.
2 iii. William Wooton, born 1797 in NC; married Polly Cornett March 22, 1815 in Clay Co., KY.
iv. Frederick Wooton, born 1799 in NC; married Nancy Combs; born 1799 in KY.
v. Manuel Wooton, born Abt. 1802 in Perry Co., NC.
vi. Davis "David" Wooton, born 1803 in NC; married Amy Melton.
vii. Matilda Wooton, born Abt. 1805 in Wooton, Leslie Co., KY; married (1) John A. Maggard; born Abt. 1800; married (2) Anderson Light; born Abt. 1800 in KY.
viii. Nancy Wooton, born Abt. 1807 in Wooton, Leslie Co., KY; married (1) Israel Maggard; married (2) John Pigg; born Abt. 1800 in KY.
ix. Hardin "Hardy" Wooton, born 1807 in Perry Co., NC; married Jennie McGee; born 1809 in KY.

6. Nathaniel Cornett, born 1760 in Henrico Co., VA; died January 04, 1838 in Hazard, Perry Co., KY. He was the son of 12. John Cornett and 13. Mary. He married 7. Mildred "Millie" Hensley.
7. Mildred "Millie" Hensley, born Abt. 1762 in Henrico Co., VA; died Bef. 1823 in Perry Co., KY.

More About Nathaniel Cornett:
Burial: Leatherwood, Perry Co., KY

More About Mildred "Millie" Hensley:
Burial: Leatherwood, Perry Co., KY

Children of Nathaniel Cornett and Mildred Hensley are:
i. Robert Cornett, born 1780 in Henrico Co., VA; died November 11, 1862; married Charlotte Callahan 1800.
ii. William Cornett, born 1782 in Henrico Co., VA; died in Howard Co., MO; married Nancy Abt. 1808.

Notes for Nancy:
From Ancestral File (TM), data as of 5 JAN 1998.

iii. Rodger Cornett, born Abt. 1785 in Henrico Co., VA; married Lilphy Callahan.

Notes for Rodger Cornett:

Notes for Lilphy Callahan:

iv. Samuel Cornett, born Abt. 1787 in Henrico Co., VA.

Notes for Samuel Cornett:

v. Jesse Cornett, born 1794 in Henrico Co., VA; married Nancy Kelly May 12, 1816.

Notes for Jesse Cornett:

Notes for Nancy Kelly:

3 vi. Polly Cornett, born 1797 in Clay Co., KY; married William Wooton March 22, 1815 in Clay Co., KY.
vii. Isaac Cornett, born 1799 in Louisville, Jefferson Co., KY; died April 16, 1875; married Margaret Rogers February 09, 1820.

Notes for Isaac Cornett:

Notes for Margaret Rogers:

viii. Celia Cornett, born Abt. 1801 in Perry Co., KY; married (1) Mr. Magee

Notes for Celia Cornett:

Notes for Mr. Magee:

ix. Judia "Judah" Cornett, born Abt. 1803 in Perry Co., KY; married John McDaniel; born Abt. 1800.

Notes for Judia "Judah" Cornett:

Notes for John McDaniel:

Generation No. 4

8. William Wooton, born Abt. 1750 in Germany or England; died in NC. He was the son of 16. The Wooton Family.

Notes for William Wooton:
William Wooton, one of the original brothers, was progenitor of the Leslie County Wootons. William and his wife had three sons and one daughter. ["PIONEERS FAMILIES OF LESLIE COUNTY" by Sadie W. Stidham, Corbin, KY - 1986]

Children of William Wooton are:
i. Frederick Wooton, born 1765 in Ashe Co., NC.
ii. John Wooton, born 1776 in Ashe Co., NC.
4 iii. Sr. Charles Wooton, Sr., born Bet. 1777 - 1781 in Ashe Co., NC; died in Leslie Co., KY; married (1) Sarah Davis; married (2) Fannie Smith.
iv. Sarah "Sally" Wooton, born 1791 in Ashe Co., NC; married Joseph Lewis; born Abt. 1790.

10. Jeremiah Davis, born Abt. 1745 in Ashe Co., NC.

Child of Jeremiah Davis is:
5 i. Sarah Davis, born 1772 in Onslow Co., NC; died 1858 in Wooton, Leslie Co., KY; married Sr. Charles Wooton, Sr..

12. John Cornett, born 1730 in Southhampton, England; died 1776 in Elk Creek, VA. He was the son of 24. Earl Cornett. He married 13. Mary.
13. Mary, born Abt. 1739 in Henrico Co., VA.

Children of John Cornett and Mary are:
i. James Cornett, born 1755 in Henrico Co., VA; married Mollie.
ii. David Cornett, born 1757 in Henrico Co., VA; married Sarah.
iii. John Samuel Cornett, born May 07, 1759 in Henrico Co., VA; died March 12, 1849 in Letcher Co., KY; married Polly Davidson March 12, 1849.
6 iv. Nathaniel Cornett, born 1760 in Henrico Co., VA; died January 04, 1838 in Hazard, Perry Co., KY; married (1) Elizabeth Boggs; married (2) Mildred "Millie" Hensley.
v. William Cornett, born 1761 in Henrico Co., VA; died November 26, 1836 in Perry Co., KY; married (1) Rhoda Gilliam May 07, 1787 in Washington Co., VA; married (2) Mary Ann Everage April 1796 in Washington Co., TN.

Notes for William Cornett:

More About William Cornett:
Burial: Cornett's Cem., Perry Co., KY

Notes for Rhoda Gilliam:

vi. Samuel Cornett, born Abt. 1763 in Henrico Co., VA.

Notes for Samuel Cornett:

vii. Roger Vader Cornett, born 1768 in Henrico Co., VA; died April 19, 1847 in Benge, Clay Co., KY; married Zilpha Callahan 1790.

Notes for Roger Vader Cornett:

Notes for Zilpha Callahan:

viii. Rebecca Cornett, born 1770 in Henrico Co., VA.

Notes for Rebecca Cornett:

Generation No. 5

16. The Wooton Family, born in Germany or England.

Notes for The Wooton Family:
THE WOOTON FAMILY
Three Wooton brothers emigrated from Germany or England to North Carolina in the late 1700's. They were: William; Irvin; and John Wooton. ["PIONEER FAMILIES OF LESLIE COUNTY" by Sadie W. Stidham, Corbin, KY - 1986]

Children of The Wooton Family are:
8 i. William Wooton, born Abt. 1750 in Germany or England; died in NC.
ii. Irvin Wooton, born Abt. 1752 in Germany or England.
iii. John Wooton, born Abt. 1755 in Germany or England.

24. Earl Cornett, born 1696 in Southhampton, England. He was the son of 48. Erin Cornett.

Child of Earl Cornett is:
12 i. John Cornett, born 1730 in Southhampton, England; died 1776 in Elk Creek, VA; married Mary.

Generation No. 6

48. Erin Cornett, born Abt. 1670 in Southhampton, England.

Child of Erin Cornett is:
24 i. Earl Cornett, born 1696 in Southhampton, England.

Posted: 11 Feb 2005 1:39PM GMT
Surnames: Wooten, Smith, Horsley, Murphy, Liles
Thanks for posting this info.
I have a Mary Wooten, ca 1810, KY, m Hiram Horsley
in Adams Co., OH, Aug 19 1830.
She was d/o Charles Jesse & Fannie Smith Wooten.
He was s/o William Horsley & Mary Ann Knox.

Some of her sons had names & initials that I have wondered
about....The initial "C", ( as in Stephen C. Horsley, Fielding C. Horsley), and another son named Silas Moss Horsley.

In digging around, I came across a Moss line, where a Martha Moss, b 1824 (where?), m a John Wooten. Martha
was a d/o Willis Moss & Lettice Attaway. She had a brother
named Sylurs Moss (Silas?).

Its possible that these all tie in together, and that the Martha
you are looking for is a d/o the above marriage of Martha
Moss to John Wooten.....at least its the right time frame.

My Mary Wooten Horsley's children were:
Children of Mary Wooten and Hiram Sr. Horsley:
i. Amanda Horsley was born About 1831.
ii. 9. Emily E. Horsley was born About 1833.
iii. 10. Louisa Horsley was born About 1835 in KY.
iv. 11. Cynthia Ann Horsley was born About 1842 in Greenup Co., KY.
v. 12. Stephen C. Horsley (alias "Stephen Horsley") was born About 1839 in KY and died December 18, 1913 in Tannery, Lewis Co., KY.
vi. 13. Fielding C. Horsley was born About 1843 in KY.
vii. 14. Silas Moss Horsley was born About 1844 in KY.
viii. Frederick Horsley was born About 1845.
ix. Preston (Hiram?) Horsley was born About 1849.
x. Morgan Horsley was born About 1852.
xi. 15. David W. Horsley (alias "Davis Horsley") was born June 12, 1854 in Carter Co.,KY.

This family was found on
census records:
Family # 72 1850 Carter Co., KY census
Childrens names and births, obtained
from these records.
Hiram, 41; Mary, 40; Amanda, 19; Emily, 17; Louisa, 16; Stephen 11; Silas, 9; Fielding, 7; Fredrick, 5; Preston, 8 months (? is this Hiram?)

Family # 302 1860 census in Carter Co., KY
Children living in HH are, Amanda;age 28, KY
Silas (Moss), age 17, b MO
Fielding C., age 14, b KY
Frederick, age 12, b KY
Hiram, age 10, b KY
Morgan, age 8, b KY
Also living in HH:
Elias P. Davis, age 6, b KY

1880 census, LDS Family History, Prec 9, Carter Co., KY

1880 census, Prec 9, Carter Co., KY.....(SPELLING is off)
Heram Hasley, 70, b KY, farmer, parents b VA
Mary Hasley, 70, b KY, father b GA, mother b KY
Magan, son, 28, KY, works on farm
David W., son, 26, KY, works on farm

I am connected thru their dau, Louisa, who m William Hampton Murphy. Their dau, Nora Hampton, m James Jackson Liles......all in and around Lewis Co., KY. James
& Nora are my Great gp's.

Hope we have listed some info that helps SOMEONE!
Blessings,
Beverly

Posted: 11 Feb 2005 3:46PM GMT
Edited: 15 Jul 2005 5:38PM GMT
Thanks Beverly! However, I don't think your Martha is my Martha. My Martha was from Leslie County and her mother was Polly. Martha was married to James Salyers. I have managed to find bits and pieces of info since my posting. Still looking for James's father and Polly's mother and father.
I don't think Polly was ever married.
I do so appreciate your taking the time to reply. If you run across anything that might help me in your search, I would certainly appreciate an email. Thanks again and have a great day!

Posted: 10 Sep 2005 7:18AM GMT
Surnames: Wooton
Sharon, I am of the line of Charles Wooton Jr his daughter Mary married James Huff my mother maternal great grandfather. I have a fair amount of Wooten information so if you still need any just email me. Also James Salyers is only list black in one census, he is listed mullato in the rest meaning it is highly likely of Native American descent.

Sharon Stewart (View posts)
Posted: 11 Sep 2005 12:43PM GMT
Surnames: Wooton, Salyers
Thanks so much for your reply. I would be greatly interested in any information that you may have. I haven't been able to find very many facts from my father's family. Most of them didn't really know their grandparents. Feel free to email me.

Carolyn Morrow Hilliard (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2006 4:23AM GMT
Surnames: Wooten Huff
David, Your line of Charles Wooton Jr and his dau, Mary m. James Huff, are two primary surnames of my husband's maternal line. His (David's) g-g-grandmother is Jane 'Jennie' Wooten b. 1820 m. Caleb Huff and lived in Carter Co. KY. Jane's father was Charles Wooten and (his 2.m.) her mother, Frances 'Fanny' Smith. Also believe Caleb Huff had a bro. and sis; yet to identify. Sincerely appreciate response of any possible connection.

Posted: 21 Nov 2011 2:46PM GMT
Hi tim wooten son of bige would like wooton info thanks for help. Tim wooten

Posted: 19 Aug 2012 7:39PM GMT
I am trying to research Jennie Wooten/Wooton, she is in
my husbands line thur his mother (Huff). I would like
any and all information you are willing to share.
Thank you
Mary
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyTerms and Conditions