Search for content in message boards

PA Dutch surnames

Dieterich

Donna (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dieterich
Am interested in the Dieterich line, could you please provide more info.

PA Dutch surnames

Posted: 14 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 Aug 2001 3:08PM GMT
Surnames: Adam, Albrecht, Arnold, Bach, Barth, Barthmes, Beitzel, Bernhart, Dieterich, Faust, Frantz, Frinsh, Fritz, Gehret, Geiselman, Gochenour, Goodling, Graybill, Heffley, Heintz, Hoehns, Herbach, Hertzel, Hill, Hoffheins, Houck, Kerst, King, K�nig, Knoertzer, Korbman, Kramer, Kraybill, Leader, Lehn, Leib, Leipp, Lesher, Link, Merkle, Miller, Mohn, Moll, Mueller, Myers, Pheanus, Raffensperger, Sarg, Schmidt, Schneider, Schreit, Shederon, Shetrone, Smith, Stabler, Stirtz, Strausser, Upp, Venus, Weigel, Ziegler, Zinn
Researching all of these PA Dutch surnames in York, Adams, Lancaster, and Berks counties.

Schmidt/Smith

Posted: 15 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Actually my Schmidt and Smith lines are two separate lines (as far as I know to date), many years apart but both in York County, PA.

My Schmidt line begins with Killian Schmidt, who emigrated to PA in 1733, and settled in York County, PA. He was married to Catharina Frey. Their daughter Anna Margaret Schmidt, born 1716, married Johann Philipp Ziegler.

My Smith line can only be traced thus far back to Samuel Smith of York County, PA (probably from Springfield or Shrewsbury Township) who married Catherine Dieterich of Lancaster County sometime prior to 1858--as they had a child baptized at the Moravian Church in York, PA in that year.

The Lesher, Merkle, and Bernhart lines are my husband's lines and they are all in Berks County, PA.

Catharina Bernhart, born 4 May 1792 married Jacob Sarg and they are buried at Dunkel's Church cemetery.

Maria Apollonia Merkel married Johan Jacob Hill of Berks County and they had a son Johan Jacob Hill born 3 June 1756. I believe that Maria Apollonia Merkle is the daughter of Johann Christian Merckel, born 19 July 1678 in Hassloch/Pfalz, Germany but I have not verified this for myself--it is based on the work of another researcher.

The Leshers are more recent in my husband's line with his grandmother being Annie Nevada Lesher born 6 Dec. 1882 in Shoemakersville, Berks County, PA. Her lineage is: Charles H. Lesher, son of William M. Lesher, son of Solomon Lesher, son of Salomon Loscher, son of John Lesher born 21 Feb. 1756. That is as far back as I have information on the Leshers--all in Berks County, PA.

schmidt/smith

sylvia brooks (View posts)
Surnames: Schmidt, Smith
Have been researching Heinrich SCHMIDT/Henry SMITH for several years. His records say he was born 12/25/1741 in Lancaster County. Need to know his parentage. He married Maria Barbara Loesch (need date and place). Several names in your list show a possible connection - Merkle, Lesher, Bernhart.
Dieterich is one of my "dead end" lines. This is all I know: my great-grandfather James H. Smith's baptismal papers from the Moravian Church in York, PA in 1858 show his parents to be Samuel Smith and Catherine Dieterich. James' death certificate from 1920 also shows Catherine Dieterich to be his mother and states that she was born in Lancaster County, PA. That is all I know for sure.

SCHMIDT/SMITH

Posted: 16 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Oct 2006 3:53PM GMT
Surnames: SCHMIDT, SMITH
Gustave and Josephine Schmidt emigrated to Port of Philadelphia from Mecklenburg-Schwerin area of Germany. They had eloped and were married on board ship--somewhere around 1830. Believe they settled in Philadelphia County. Their children changed their name to Smith. Clara Smith was my grandmother. Please e-mail me with possible links. Thanks
Posted: 17 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
My York County, PA, UPPS are a bit earlier than what you are looking for. I descend from Johann Peter Upp born 1754 and his wife Maria Catherine Heintz/Hoens. They had a daughter, Catherine, born 16 Feb. 1778, who married Peter Weigel on 12 May 1799 in York County. My branch of this family remained in York County.

Melanie Upp-Kelley (View posts)
Posted: 17 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Upp
I am hunting every Upp family member in York Co., Pa to find a relationship with my family in Ohio. Joseph Clay Upp bn 1823, his son, Daniel Clay Upp, then Clarance Clay Upp and my father Paul E. Upp bn. 1917

Leshers Of Lancaster Co.

John T Hammond (View posts)
Posted: 20 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Lesher, Zette, Gingrich, Hummer, Brubaker
Henrick (Henry) Lesher 1711-1783 w Maria 1715-1784, father of
1 John,
2 Henry (w Frena? Zette),
3 Jacob (w Fanny Gingrich),
4 Casper (w Elizabeth Hummer),
5 Christian,
6 Maria (m Peter Brubaker),
7 Barbara and
8 Anna.
Casper moved to Cumberland Co.

Dieterich Line - PA Dutch Surnames

Posted: 21 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 12 Jul 2001 9:57PM GMT
Surnames: Dieterich
I am also reseraching the Dieterich family My line is of Francis Dieterich from Kassel-Hesen Dieterich, early 1800's. Any connection would be appreciated.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Terms and Conditions