Search for content in message boards

Sioux Family --Fly / Sherman/ Berry

Sioux Family --Fly / Sherman/ Berry

Posted: 27 Sep 2009 5:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Fly/Sherman/Berry
Any information on Sam Fly, 4 Nov 1902, Standing Rock Sioux-Corson Co., SD and ND. Felix Fly, abt 1895, Standing Rock Sioux-NO an SO. Dakota. Father was Yuhakinyanpi (Thomas Fly) Mother was Guhakipyanpi (Alma Fly)Later Thomas died abt. 1909 Alma remarried a John Hawk Thunder or Hawk John Thunder. She was listed as Alma Thunder. I believe my Grandfather was Sam. My father was Lawrence adopted about 1936 or so. By William E. Berry from Illinois. His mother was Echo Sherman.

Re: Sioux Family --Fly / Sherman/ Berry

Posted: 29 Sep 2009 6:49PM GMT
Surnames: Fly, Sherman
Hi,

I'm not related but I think I have some information you will find interesting. I don't live in Corson County but it is where my father's family was from.

I have a copy of Taming the Plains written by Rose Tomac Tidball and published in 1976 that has numerous references to the people you are researching. This is a great book that covers the history of Corson County and includes historical documents, maps and rememberances of people who were settlers in the area.

The most interesting for you will be a biography/interview of Felix Fly done by Rose Tidball in 1972, just two years before his death in 1974. It is lengthy and has many details of his life. It covers his parentage and his mother's marriages (to Tom Fly, Chief Thunder Hawk, and Ed Shooter) and then has the quote "Felix married Echo Sherman and they had several children. She later married Felix's brother Sam, and they had five children, I believe."

There is also a biography (and picture) of Chief Thunder Hawk and pictures of the Thunder Hawk Mission cemetery where he is buried along with at least one of his wives. There is also information about Thunder Hawk Camp that is attributed to Felix Fly. Thunder Hawk Camp was about 25 miles south of Morristown.

The book includes a number of school censuses. The census for Duncan District #2 1916 lists the parent's name and then the children they have in school. Included in this are E. Shooter-Barney, Eugene: Elma (probably Alma) Shooter-Regina Fly, Samuel Fly.

I know from some of your other posted information that you were looking into Walter Chase and some of the other people in that area. The book includes a long biography of the Walter Chase family written by his wife Bernice Chase. One quote from Mrs. Chase is "Our closest neighbors were, Bill Petersons, John Sabin, Bill and Dave Berry and George Petersons." John Sabin is significant because I'm sure you have already found the marriage record for Echo Sherman and John W. Sabin in 1924.

I will scan and email you the relevent pages of the book if you confirm that the email address linked to your Ancestry pages is correct. Or if you wish to email me your "real" address I can make xeroxes and send them. Sometimes those come out more clearly because of the limitations on file size.

If you can get ahold of Taming the Plains you will find it fascinating. It gives such a sense of place and so much background. Other posts on the Corson board mention that Rose's daughter may still have them available. I got mine on Ebay.

Hope that helps. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Barbara

Posted: 29 Sep 2009 6:55PM GMT
Taming the Plains is available at the Grand River Museum. Definately worth the price to anyone interested in Corson County.

http://www.grandrivermuseum.org/books.htm

Barbara

Posted: 19 Nov 2009 3:24PM GMT
Just wanted to " thank you " for sending me in the right direction on the book "Taming the Plains". You are so right . It has oodles of information. Thank you again.

Posted: 19 Nov 2009 4:01PM GMT
I'm so glad you got a copy of Taming the Plains. I have enjoyed it so much and there is only one line mentioning my family.

Barbara

Posted: 21 Nov 2009 6:42PM GMT
Surnames: Fly / Berry
I'm going to bother you just once more to tell you how thankful I am to you. I have discovered that Rose Tidball was a teacher to some in my family. On pages 501 and 502 are pictures of the fly family. My Grandmother was Echo Fly. Maxine and Regina are my Aunts. My Grandmother allowed my father to be adopted when he was a boy by a Mr. William (Bill) Berry. That is the man I knew as my Grandfather. My Dad's real father is not known to us at this time, but I'm working on that too. The pictures only help confirm some of what I've known. I met my Grandmother Echo in 1977 or 78. She came to see me at my home. If only I had asked those important questions then. She is gone now, but I would have loved to let her know how proud I am to be who I am. Thank you again. Sandy.

Posted: 21 Nov 2009 7:59PM GMT
Surnames: Fly
Hi Sandy,
I hadn't found those pictures of the Fly family members. My book doesn't have a name index. How great for you to have more information about your family, especially pictures. Rose Tidball certainly did a huge favore for those of interested in Corson County.

I often have wished that I had a copy of this book before my father died in 1982 and that he could have looked at it and told me stories about all the people and places included. At that time in my life I was preoccupied with children etc. and looking for information about family never occurred to me.

Barbara

Posted: 25 Sep 2011 3:41AM GMT
Surnames: FLY, RAMSEY
Are you still looking for information on Alma Ramsey, wife of Thomas Fly? I have documented info on Alma at my Ancestry.com family tree, Hormisdas Archambault Family Tree. Hope this helps.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyTerms and Conditions