Search for content in message boards

Watts Cherokee connection

Watts Cherokee connection

John Mustard and Marjorie Watts Mustard (View posts)
Posted: 5 Mar 2004 4:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Watts, McCormick, Norwood, Jones
My wife is a Watts, but not of the Chief Watts family. Her 3rd Greatgrandfather Thomas Watts, married to Mary Norwood, and then Susan Hutchins, came from SC, and had first of his two families in Mississippi, then moved to Monroe, Ouachita, LA in 1811, where he married Susan, and then moved to Jasper, TX in 1825.

We had always assumed that the Watts were Irish, and a DNA test on my wife's nephew showed Asian, which indicates NA, and absolutely no British Isles connection. Since then, a cousin has disclosed that she was from Thomas Watts second family, and 'Thomas Watts Jr, was called Cherokee Ben in the family bible that she had seen. It has disappeared, but she copied all legible data from it. Another cousin from the second family took a DNA test, with identical results.

I understand that among the Cherokee's the Watts name is held in some disrepute, but again, the Chief Watts that caused the trouble had a Scottish Father, and he would not be linked to our Watts by DNA.

There were two Thomas Watts families that came into East Texas, and the second one came into Polk County, then to Smith County, and died in 1854, at Winona, TX. He probably was a cousin of my wife's grandfather, but we are unable to link them. They were related to the Lotts, also Cherokee, and some ended up in Oklahoma.

If anyone has any data on our Thomas Watts b: 1765, or Mary Norwood, I would be interested in hearing from you.

Re: Watts Cherokee connection

Posted: 5 Mar 2004 5:19PM GMT
You might want to ask the DNA lab some questions. The traits you are interested in are passed through the female line, not the male line. I'm NOT a DNA expert, but I'm fairly positive this is an accurate statement. You also might want to double-check the "Asian" connection as an Indian indicator.

John Mustard and Marjorie Watts Mustard (View posts)
Posted: 5 Mar 2004 5:27PM GMT
The Y-chromosome is passed ONLY from father to son, ans this is what gave the Asian (Native American) results. There are also mtDNA tests, which we have done, and they also confirm that it was the grandfather that was the Native American. I know enough about DNA to know what we got!

Thank you anyway.

Quohadi (View posts)
Posted: 6 Mar 2004 3:59PM GMT
Sorry Folks, this individual is NOT associated with this project. I commend you for affirming the truth!

I know several Watts family members who will appreciate your query and DNA Information. I will be certain to advise them of your query so that they may contact you directly.

Many Blessings!
-Darren

<+><+><+><+><+><+><+><+><+><+><+><+><+>
Member WorldGenWeb Advisory Board
http://www.worldgenweb.org/
Comanche Lodge
http://www.comanchelodge.com/
Creek Nation IT Project
http://www.rootsweb.com/~itcreek/
Kiowa Comanche & Apache IT
http://www.rootsweb.com/~itkiowa/
<+><+><+><+><+><+><+><+><+><+><+><+><+>

Posted: 15 May 2011 5:10AM GMT
Surnames: Barker, Parker, Watts, Humble
My husband decends from Thomas Watts and Mary Norwood. Mary signed papers so that Britton Barker and Celia(Sealy) Watts could marry in Wilkinson Co. MS.
All of the information we have indicates that Thomas "Irish" Watts came from Ireland into the Carolinas. Now I wonder. Britton and Celia died young in Ouachita Parish and left 5 orphan children that Thomas Watts was given Guardianship. My husband decends from 2 of them, William N Barker and Elizabeth Barker, who married Jesse Parker. They both cam to Texas before the Texas Revolution and were active in that effort.

Posted: 15 May 2011 2:21PM GMT
Surnames: Watts, Barker
I have this Barker information through Jean Watts Pace, who is descended from Thomas Watts, and second wife, and directly from a Barker descendant, as well as data from the Genealogy section of the Monroe, LA library. My wife is descended from Thomas Watts, and first wife.

Her nephew, Bob Watts DNA shows Asian ancestry, indicating Native American heritage. The previous thought that they were Irish came from the fact that they listed their heritage as such in the 1835 special Bevil Census, Jasper County, Texas. That time period is when Texas Governor LeMar was having the military and militia chasing ALL Native American's out of Texas, to Oklahoma. Since the grandmother was of Irish heritage, that is what they put on the census, thus they were able to stay in Texas, and retain the Mexican Land Grant of one league and one labor in Jasper County, TX, which belonged to Thomas Watts. He obtained that land grant in December 1834. It is on file in Austin, TX.

As mentioned before, there were two Watts families that arrived in Polk County, living about five miles apart, near Moscow. Thomas's son John Watts obtained a Mexican Land Grant in March 1835 just west of Moscow, and the other Watts family was near Colita, west of John Watts Property. I have done a DNA test on descendant from both families, and they do not match. The other Watts family is related to Chief John Watts/Lott family. The Y chromosome is ONLY passed from father to son, and has nothing to do with females in family.

The dispute among my wife's family is about the Irish claim. In 1767, the Thomas Watts family arrived in Charleston, SC on a ship from Belfast, Ireland, and they were awarded 400 acres near Abbeville, SC, as poor, Irish, Protestant immigrants. My belief is that the father of the family was actually Cherokee, and had been sent to Ireland sometime in the 1700's to be educated, along with a brother. That was fairly common among the wealthy Cherokees. He then met and married an Irish girl, they started a family of three, and then returned to Charleston, along with his brother.

Charleston in that time was the major immigration point on the east coast, because the sailing ships took advantage of the trade winds to sail southwest to the West Indies, then up the east coast, riding the gulf stream, to the port there. Savannah, and Charleston were major ports, with Charleston the predominant port. At times there were as many as 300 sailing ships in the port.

My data that I have obtained on this family was obtained from books and newspapers stored in the Charleston SC, library, and I have copies of these records.

Posted: 15 May 2011 6:34PM GMT
John,
Just a few questions about your theory in paragraph 4...
If Thomas Watts was actually a wealthy Cherokee that went to Ireland to be educated, then why didn't he return as that same wealthy Cherokee who undoubtedly owned land? Why would he return as a poor Irish immigrant who had to be given land?? That doesn't make sense.
And exactly how would a full-blooded Cherokee pass as a white Irishman?

Posted: 15 May 2011 7:24PM GMT
Surnames: Watts, Barker
He probably was not wealthy, but his father probably was, or perhaps he was sponsored by someone. That is what I have read about Cherokee's in the 1700's. I don't know who his father was.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyTerms and Conditions