Search for content in message boards

Thomas Montgomery Tilley and many descendents

Thomas Montgomery Tilley and many descendents

Posted: 10 May 2003 8:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tilley, Couch, Phillips, Needham, Christian, Dunn, Carruba
I've been researching this line for years. I'm desperately seeking the burial site and death of Thomas Montgomery Tilley. He was married three or four times and fathered twenty one natural and adopted children. In an effort to locate descendents of his many sires, I've compiled a list of children, although not complete. By his first marriage, Arrah Virginia Tilley(my great grandmother), Ida Tilley whom married a James Phillips, Arthur Tilley, Burrow Tilley and Coley Tilley. By his second wife, I know he adopted a son named Albert Smith Tilley. By his third wife, they had a child born on December, 1919 named Bernice Viola Tilley. Other children include, John Thomas Tilley, Claude Tilley and Lula Tilley who married a Brown. Please, respond if have any information on this line of Tilley's or even suspect there may be a connection.

Ellen

Re: Thomas Montgomery Tilley and many descendents

Posted: 4 Jan 2007 6:49AM GMT
Surnames: Cason, Dover, Pinson
I am seeking information on Coley Tilley. He is my great grandfather. He had a daughter (My Grandmother) by the name Rena Tilley. Her mother's name was Dora Tilley. Dora's birthday was 12-23-1885. (Alabama) Dora's mother's name was Mandy Pinson and her father's name was Wiley Dover. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Cyndee

Posted: 4 Jan 2007 10:34PM GMT
Surnames: Tilley, Couch, Needham, Carruba, Phillips,
Hello,

It has been several years since I was involved in researching the Tilley line. I wasn't able to determine when or where Thomas Montgomery Tilley died. But, I will say this.

Thomas M. Tilley was married three times and had a 21 natural and adopted children. I'm a direct decendent of his dauther, Arrah Virginia Tilley, one of his first sets of children. I know he had a child named Coley. I also know that they lived around the Etowah County area in Alabama.

Where do you live? I know that decendents of Thomas Montgomery's various children still live around Gadsden and the Sand Mountain area. I don't know anything about Coley's wife's family as I'm not connected to that line.

If you will get access to the US Census reports, you will find Coley Tilley and his various descendents listed. Back in that day, family tended to live close together, so Coley's brother or sister might live nearby.

I don't know if this helped, but I do know that Thomas Montgomery Tilley had many children, was married three times and I've been told by some older Tilleys I met years ago, that some of the Tilleys were mooshiners in the old days.

Please reply and let me know if I can answer anymore questions.

Posted: 5 Jan 2007 12:23AM GMT
Surnames: Tilley, Cason, Dover, Pinson
Thanks for the reply! I think I received an email years ago, I believe from you, requesting info. I had two computers go bad and didn't get another until recently. I'm glad you are still there. I'm researching the line of my grandmother, Rena. She was born in Alabama, so was my dad. We still have relatives back there. They are older and do not remember much. Most of my dad's relatives had little education (my dad only went to 6th grade)they worked on farms. My dad's family did live near Etowah County, AL. My dad was born in Gadsden. I live in California. Please write back, it sounds like you have done alot of home work. It also sounds like we are connected in some way.

Posted: 5 Jan 2007 12:34AM GMT
Surnames: Tilley, Cason, Dover, Pinson
Thanks for the reply! I think you sent me an email years ago when I was researching the Tilley line before. I had computer problems and didn't get a new one until recently. I'm glad you are still there. My grandmother (Rena Tilley) was born in Alabama. They live near Etowah County. My dad was born in Gadsden, AL. We still have relatives back there, but they do not remember certain items. If I have more info, they might recall certain events. I do believe we might have a common thread. Please write back. I live in California. Thanks for sharing.

Posted: 5 Jan 2007 4:04AM GMT
Hello,

Yes, I bet we do have a common link. I grew up in Birmingham, AL and now live in Huntsville, AL. With Thomas Montgomery having soooo many children, many of his descendents have lost touch with each other. I never knew his daughter, my great-grandmother, Arrah Virginia, but I was very close to Arrah Virginia's daughter, Gertrude Phillips Lowery. Gertrude didn't talk about her family much, even though I begged her to tell me. Even as a young girl I was interested in the past. I'll try to get out my geneology records over the weekend and maybe scan some stuff to email you as an attachment. Please contact me via my email address, ectucker_2000@yahoo.com. That way we can exchange info easier.

How did you end up in California? I've never been further west than El Paso, TX. Were you born in Alabama? It is good to hear from you and I look forward to sharing information.

Ellen

Posted: 21 Jul 2008 6:50PM GMT
Surnames: Tilley
Thomas Montgomery Tilley ,was my grandfather He most likely died in Cherokee co. Would you like to share information?

Posted: 21 Jul 2008 6:58PM GMT
Surnames: Tilley
to blksheep2002 I know Coley Tilley he was my father's half brother. will share information

Posted: 21 Jul 2008 11:24PM GMT
Oh my gosh! Am I ever glad to hear from you. I live in Madison County Alabama. I've spoken with different Tilley descendents of Thomas Montgomery Tilley, and never have I had anyone know anything. How are you descended from Thomas Montgomery Tilley? I'm a direct descendent of his daughter, Arrah Virginia Tilley, from his first marriage to Bunnah Couch. I was told by a distant relative, now deceased, that Thomas Montgomery Tilley was married three or four times and had 21 natural and adopted children. When I discovered him on the US Census reports, I noticed every ten years he had a different wife.

I would love any information you have.....You think he might be buried in Cherokee county? I was looking in Etowah, Marshall, Cullman and Blount. I've not looked in Cherokee.....Please respond soon as I'm anxiously awaiting your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to contact me.

Ellen Tucker

Posted: 22 Jul 2008 6:36PM GMT
I am so happy to hear from you, I have tryed many times to reach you . My fathers name was Claude Tilley and mine is Claudette. His mother was Emma Lee (Smith) Tilley. She was his secound wife. I will be happy to share any thing I know . They moved to Cherokee Co. thats where he Married his third wife. I have a family tree that has a good bit of info on them. I live in Etowah Co.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Terms and Conditions