Search for content in message boards

BURRIS (Choctaw Indian) Family of Hartshorn, Pittsburg Co. OK.

BURRIS (Choctaw Indian) Family of Hartshorn, Pittsburg Co. OK.

Posted: 20 Feb 2004 4:02AM GMT
Edited: 17 Mar 2005 5:47AM GMT
.... .Searching for information on family of Isaich Burris who had Son named Turner Burris (Choctaw) . Trying to locate where Isaich was born as he came to OK on the "Trail of Tears".
..... Turner Burris could not read, write or speak English....He married Etta Elizabeth Morgan (born in Ark) and children were Annie, Hattie, Isiach, John, Joe Roy, Claude.
.....Turner's son, Isaich Burris, marrried Etter Viola (Bell) in 1898 and had children Eva Mae, Ella, Emett, Monroe Edward, Roy Junior, Elmer Curtis, Ethel Elizabeth, Ottis Jewel, Mary Ellen, Helen, Walter Lee, and Donald Ray in Hartsborn, Pittsburg Co. OK. .....I found Turner and family in 1910 Cenus, but can't locate in 1880 or 1900...trying to determine where they were in this timeframe.
...At one time, Turner BURRIS owned about 300 acres of land and cattle in Hartshorn (Pittsburg Co) OK and this land was taken from him by governemt. Hoping to locate more about this land or if deed is available showing where Turner owned it and why it was taken??? .
.....Would like to communicate with anyone on this family. Pls contact me at trendsa@bellsouth.net. Thanks....Any info welcomed.

Re: BURRIS (Choctaw Indian) Family of Hartshorn, Pittsburg Co. OK.

Posted: 1 Mar 2004 1:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Apr 2004 1:28AM GMT
You can try sending a query to our Genealogy Library in McAlester, OK. We have a good amount of information at our library about Choctaw Nation. The family may be on the 1896 census we have in book form. I answer our Emails at the library. Lookups are free. Send query to:

Pittsburg County Genealogical & Historical Society, 113 East Carl Albert Parkway, McAlester, OK 74501 or Email;
tobucksy@osu-ext.pittsburg.ok.us

Ron Presley (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jun 2004 5:05AM GMT
check pitts.county records @ courthouse for roll numbers & try from there

Posted: 18 Jun 2004 12:44PM GMT
......Thanks Ron for your suggestions, but since I have posted this, I have found positive proof and documentation that Turner Burris was an African Slave (not Choctaw Indian) and owned by the Chichasaw Indians. The only connection to Choctaw was that Turner lived in the Choctaw Nation Territory. He has a "freedman's card" ...not an Indian Card and can't every have an Indian Card because he was black African Slave.... not Indian (only owned by Indian). Only Indians "by blood" can have Indian Cards.
......As for Turner's parents, they were also both African Slaves and died (about 1898) before the "card system"(Dawes Roll) was issued for land. The only way that Turner was able to get land (being African) was because the government forced the Indians to give "citizenship" to their owned slaves. This is how the Turner Burris (slave) also received his Burris surname as slaves took the surname of their owners. Turner and his first born daughter received "freedman's card" and land entitlement rights because they were born under slavery. The other children of Turner and Ella were born under freedom and were not entitled to land and, therefore, never received a card. Later Ella (white woman) divorced Turner (divorce states physical abuse and drunkardness) and Ella received the larger part of the land which she later sold. Ella remarried several times after divorcing Turner. Turner received small portion of bottomland with old tenant house on it as his part.
. I was hoping to learn more about Isaich and have learned Isaich, ( wife was Louvina Brown ...owned by Chickasaw Brown family) came from Mississippi originally and probably did come across the Trail of Tears with his "Burris" owners to Oklahoma Territory.
.... It has been quite an interesting search, but I now have all my information and all officially documented. Thanks for your interest and reply. Trendsa

Robin (View posts)
Posted: 12 Aug 2004 7:20PM GMT
Surnames: Burris
Hi,
Are you related to Turners son Isaac? My children are related to Hattie and I found a lot of info on the family tree years ago I would be glad to share with you. Maybe you have some I don't have. About the time I was getting all this information I divorced my childrens father after being married for 17 years-reasons were very similiar to those of Turners first wife?!?!! So I haven't had contact with my ex or his family for over 10 years now but they never shared anything of the Indian history and I now understand why. Among the documents I have are one from Turner who hired a lawyer to overturn the Choctaws decision to put him on the Freedmans-roll they say he missed the timeline. I also have census and Dawes Roll records showing that Turner's other children from his later marriage received a percentage of Indian degree blood on their records that was larger than their mothers therefore they counted some of his! I just heard that last week there was a march on Washington from the 5 Civilized Tribes Freedmans to try to pass legislation to get their Indian citizenship back. The tribes often went by only the Mothers side and if a person had any Afro American descent they did not count any Indian descent. It was exciting to see someone looking into my search for my childrens history-please contact me. Robin

Posted: 12 Aug 2004 11:20PM GMT
Thank you for your comments on the Turner Burris posting.

Robin, I am a professional researcher and and I have since closed that file and no longer working the Burris line. All documents on Turner have been turned over to my client, but all documentation does show that Turner was African Slave, not Indian at all....just owned by Chickasaw Indians and his only connection to Choctaw was that his family lived on the Choctaw Nation Territory in Oklahoma.
There are a lot of the Burris family members refusing to admit they are from African Slave decent and are trying to prove they are Indian instead. I have been contacted by several...but if they will do their research, they will see for themselves that Turner is definitely African Slave, not Indian. Even the hired Lawyer you mentioned will NOT be able to prove otherwise because all Government Documentation has proven, without any doubt, that Turner (son of Issac ) was African Slave and not Indian by blood at all. After the 1836 Treaty, the government required that each Tribe adopt their Slaves into their Tribe as "citizens" and that each African Slave be registered ( under the Freedman Index Card system) thus entitling their Slaves to get a small portion of land from the government. Actually the government was protecting the Slaves so they would not be left out and would receive some land to start their life of freedom. Most Slaves only knew the Indian language and were uneducated and giving them land was one way the US government was able to assist them in their survival and see that they received something for their years of servitude to the Indians as their slaves. Each Indian Tribe was required to give information on their African Slaves to the Dawes commission for registration. Sidney Burris gave Turner and Anne's information. He was their "owner". The Chickasaws were the last to record and relinquish their slaves and had kept their slaves "in bondage" for about 40 yrs after the treaty was signed and slavery abolished. That is why Turner wasn't registered until around 1902 era. By then his parents were dead so Isaac wasn't registered. The Slaves were catagorized as "citizens"and given Freedman's Card while the Indians were catagorized as "by blood" and given the Indian Card. This is why there are two sets of different card catagory registrations. .....Turner and his first born Anne( who was just barely born into slavery) are the only ones who received the "freedmans card". All the other children of Turner were born in "freedom" and not registered, but they were classified as Mulattos in Census because Turner's wife was a white woman. That is why only Turner and Anne have a "freedman card". Turner did receive a portion of land but later lost this when he was divorced by his wife.
..... What is important to note is that Isaac, his wife, Turner and Anne were all owned by Chickasaw Indians (not Choctaw) ...and neither had any connection with the Choctaw Indians at all except that they lived on the Choctaw Nation Territory. You can contact the BIA in OKLA and the Dawes Report yourself on this issue. It is all in Government documentation. I did contact the BIA and received verification on this and I only accept official documentation when I work a genealogy research.
..... Documents points to Isaac (African Slave owned by Chickasaw Indian Tribe Burris) actually being born in Mississippi and the Burris family had owned Isaac's family long before they move to the newly formed Oklahoma Territory (called the Choctaw Nation) after the 1836 Treaty was signed. This "Choctaw Nation Territory " was divided up to hold the 5 Civilized Tribes (Cherokee, Choctaw, Creek, Chickasaw and Seminole) who had agreed to sign the 1836 Treaty and move to the new territory of Oklahoma.
......There is no Choctaw Indian connection except Susie (Turner's sister) did marry a Choctaw Indian. Susie only married a Indian ....was not born an Indian..because Susie herself was an African Slave just marrying a Choctaw Indian. Other than being owned by Indians, Turner's parents or Turner himself cannot claim to be Indian because they are proven to be African Slave and therefore not entitled to be enrolled on the Indian Roll and are correctly enrolled on the "Freedman's " and have a Index Card...not an Indian Card. More than one evidence exist that Turner and Isaac were African Slaves and owned by Chickasaw Indians.. Isaac got the Burris name as the Indian's African Slaves took on the owner's last name (same as in Southern Slaves owned by Plantation owners) . I can give you websites to view should you wish to study this further. Hope this explains and help you on this matter. Trendsa

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 1:30AM GMT
I do not know anything about Turner Burris of the Choctaw Nation. I would like to say that all of the five tribes participated in slavery. There were many slave owners who fathered mixed children; and many male slave owners denied their own blood (off-spring),leaving many clan-less and without position (clans passed through the mother).
Just because Turner Burris had a "freedmen's card" doesn't necessarily mean he didn't have "Indian/Choctaw blood". It's not exactly true that only Indians "by blood" can have "cards". There were many non-Indian whites who were able to slip in as IW (inter-married whites) issued "Indian cards". Many mixed-blood black Indians, and African slaves who enrolled for their "cards" most often only spoke the language of the only nation they were raised in, and some were used as interpreters! While many mixed-blood white Indians transitioned from their language and customs.
Here in lies racism. The five tribes didn't build their nations alone. Much of the racism came from the thin-blood white Indians. Yes, if you say both of Turner's parents were black-African slaves--but once there was emancipation, all within the particular nations were alloted land. Some received more acreage than others.
The nations weren't "forced to give cititenship" to the freed slaves (reminder that all weren't pure African). US government requested that the nations accept the freed slaves as citizens. It was only the Chickasaws who were never forthcoming e.g. work them to death, then let them go!
The less land to allot to the freedmen and full-bloods, more for the intruding white settlers.
There were many prominent leaders in the Creek, Seminole, Cherokee, Choctaw nations who had mixed black blood. And in their day were only viewed for what, where, and how they lived within their respective nations.
Just because someone is a Freedmen descendant doesn't mean that their ancestors were "just slaves". History shows us that within households, some members were placed on the freedmen roll, and others within the family placed on the BB/by blood.

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 3:56AM GMT
Surnames: The Dawes Report clearly states......
....You are correct in that all the five tribes (Cherokee, Chocktaw, Seminole, Chickasaw and Creek) did participate in slavery and many did father children by these slaves as was common practice with both Indian and white slave owners.
....When the Civil War ended, all slavery was to be abolished and four of the five tribes did set their slaves free, but the Chickasaw tribe refused to release their African Slaves. They probably wanted free labor to continue. The goverment, for some reason, did NOT enforce making the Chickasaw's release their slaves immediately and the Chickasaws continued to have slaves until about 1902 or 1903 era. Then the government DID FORCE them to set their slaves free. This is written in Dawes history and you can check it out on the Internet or contact BIA and they will send you this information. The government did force the Indians to "adopt" their slaves into their tribe in order that the slaves could receive a freedman's card and land. The government wanted the Slaves to have some land to live on and work when they were on their own as "freed men". By "adopting " the slave into their tribe, this allowed the government to then catagorize who was Slave and who was pure blooded Indian. Remember Slaves took on the surname of their Indian owner. The Indian owner had to personally register each of his slaves so they would qualify for a Freedman's card. This is so stipulated in the Dawes' Report! Turner Burris and the his daughter were born during the time when slaves were still maintained by the Chickasaw tribe and this is why Turner and his daughter received land under the Dawe's ruling. Both Turner and his daughter have "freedmen's card" and do not qualify to have Indian Roll number because Turner Burris was the son of two African slaves owned by Chickasaw Indian named Sidney Burris. Turner was not pure Indian and only could get a freedman's card because of his African slave status. Turner Burris was owned by Indian....he wasn't Indian.
....Remember the card system was set into effect to differenciate who was pure Indian and who was not. Only pure blooded Indians could receive a Indian Roll number....all others ( regardless of mixed African/Indian or just straight African,) were still catagorized with a Freedman's Roll number card.

...When the government stepped in and forced all these tribes to set free their slaves, the Indians did NOT want to give their slaves anything at all, but the government insisted! The government realized the slaves could not survive without having something to start out in life,and this was why the Indians were ordered to list ever Slave they owned by name so the government could issue them a Freedman's Roll number card. If it had been left up to the Indian, the slaves would have been set free with nothing. This is written in history and Dawes records. The African slaves were at the mercy of the Indians had the government not stepped in and protected the slaves! Remember these slaves were not taught English and only knew the Indian language from birth. They were not schooled and couldn't read or write. They had no skills except what they learned from working for their Indian Master. The government realized this and knew the Slave would not be able to survive once "freed" and on their own. This is why the 2 card system was instigated. The government intended for the slaves of these Indians to have some piece of land in their possession so they would have a place to live and land to work for survival. This is all explained again in the Dawes record.
.... The Indian "by blood" received the Indian Roll number card. The slave (even if he had mixed blood) was still not considered pure blood Indian, so he received the "freedman's card". The type of card each received designated how much land and type of land would be given to each person. The Indian by blood received the prime land and larger amount of land. The Slaves got the leftover land and lesser amount. This is all in the Dawes record and can be found on the Internet. I would suggest that you might read to verify my writing.
....You stated "just because someone is a Freedmen descendant doesn't mean that their ancestrors were "just slaves". YES IT DOES...According to the catorization made by the government, this is exactly what it means! If they were not Indian "by blood" (meaning full blooded Indian) then there were classified as slave and given a "Freedman" card. The entire purpose of having two different cards (Indian Roll number and Freedman Roll numbers) was to classify and differenciate who was pure Indian and who was African and/or mixed African. Anyone not proving full blooded Indian status received Freedman Roll number cards. Hope this better explains. Read the Dawes report. It explains everything in detail. Thanks for your response.

Posted: 7 Feb 2010 3:08AM GMT
Surnames: burris
robin if you are still wondering about the burris family history well my grandpa is the sister to hatti. My mom is Isaich (bud) burris daughter. it shows hatti has a roll number, but we need help on some paper or missing papers. can u help and i will help u with information with my great aunt hatti. i use to go visit them when i was small.

Posted: 19 Apr 2011 1:54AM GMT
Surnames: Burris
Hi, I read the message you sent regarding Freedmen and you sound very well versed in this. My family is also BURRIS and were from Township 9, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory in Idabel, Oklahoma. I am African American but was always told that we were Indian too. My PaPa, Abraham sometimes spoke in "his" language, which none of us understood. When I began to research him after his death, I found out he was born in the Indian Township. But I feel very overwhelmed and lost. I have no idea what I am doing, though it is very exciting and enriching. I was hoping since you seem to know so much about this that maybe you could help me too. How can I find out if he was indeed Indian, African? As African Americans, we often feel disconnected, like a tree with no roots; how can we weather the storms? Can you help me too?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Terms and Conditions