Search for content in message boards

Re: Dicey Carter

Posted: 14 Jan 2012 1:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Carter, Cline
Dear Kathy Roberts,
Just discovered your post Ms Roberts.
You are correct, she (Dicy Carter) would not show up on the Dawes Roll since her father escaped the trail of tears and was located in Logan Co. W VA. (1832 or 33) She was born in 1833 in Gilbert Creek Valley Mingo Co. VA (Logan Co. W.VA. just before President Jackson's removal of Cherokees to IT. Some of the Cherokees had moved further north in the mountains. I researched and found small villages of Delaware, Shawnee, Cherokee and "Mingo" natives in West Virginia. Of course Logan County is named for the famous Chief Logan, and Logan County was formerly Mingo County that was divided into other counties although Mingo Co. still exists.
Her maiden name was Dicy Cline, the middle daughter of a large family and her father Peter Cline who raised her as his own. Written records of siblings witnessed the incident and Dicy was born of this union. She came to know him (surprised he wasn't hung) and spoke of him to my grandmother and others quite often. Hope this helps.
Also am really curious as to the date and reasons for the murder of her husband, Elisha Carter(age in 60's or 70's)in the 1880's or 1890's in Morehead, Rowan County, KY. He was dragged through the streets of Morehead murdered and left in Flemingsburg, KY. Killed at Camel , Fleming Co. and possibly buried at Cleavit Springs (?Clevit Springs)in or near the Belle Carter Farm in Fleming County.
He had been hiding at home of Dolly Hatfield (relative). He was listed on U.S. Census living in Morehead, KY in 1880.
He may have been killed during the time of the Tolliver-Logan Feud in the mid 1880's. A very sad chapter of time. Sorry it took so long to get back to you and hope all is well. Yours truly, Marion Allen Cole
P.S. Hope to come out at future time to do more research in Fleming and Logan Counties in Kentucky. Agains, Thanks so much.

Posted: 6 Mar 2012 7:53PM GMT
So if I understand this post correctly: then Dicy (Cline) Carter was full Cherokee. Her daughter Lydia was my great grandmothers mother. My mom always said her grandma was an indian but I could not figure out which side it was on and which grandma. Dicy died in 1926 and my mom was born in 1923. I have a photo of Dicy with my moms cousin.
I also remember reading an article on Elisha Carter being drug through the streets but also have not been able to find it. I wasn't sure he was related until I got deeper into my genealogy research.

Posted: 8 Mar 2012 4:33AM GMT
mcmart6

No, Dicy CLINE wasn't Indian. The CLINE family was originally from Germany.

Kathy Roberts
VA

Posted: 8 Mar 2012 8:56PM GMT
So now I am confused as to the post by Marion Cole. Could someone please e-mail me at mcmart6@yahoo.com so I can get this straightened out.

Posted: 9 Mar 2012 3:58PM GMT
mcmart6

There's nothing to be confused about.
In a previous thread there was some innacurate information posted by someone not familiar with Cherokee History/Records.

The CLINE and allied families are easily traced through both Colonial and Federal Records.

Kathy Roberts
VA

Posted: 25 May 2014 2:06AM GMT
Dicey wasn't born to Peter Heck Cline. She was born to Mary Polly Smith and her father was a cherokee indian who escaped the trail of tears. No records were kept because of the issue of indian and white woman. So the cline family wrote affadavits perjurying themselves stating she was born in the union of her mother and Mr. Cline. Granny Carter was born in 1811 and died in 1926

Posted: 25 May 2014 11:14PM GMT
Would you please e-mail me personally. It's mcmart6@yahoo.com. I am very interested in knowing more.
Thanks,
Martha Friddle

Cherokee History.

Posted: 30 May 2014 10:54AM GMT
Edited: 31 May 2014 4:00AM GMT
Peggy

*** Granny Carter was born in 1811 and died in 1926***

***She was born to Mary Polly Smith and her father was a cherokee indian who escaped the trail of tears.***

The Trail of Tears took place between 1838 and 1839. It was the forced removal of of over 16,000 Cherokee Citizens from their Nation in the southeast. It's an event that is extremely well documented.
Before, during and afterward.

How could Dicey's father have escaped from an event that happened 27 years AFTER she was born ???

Kathy Roberts
VA

Re: Cherokee History.

Posted: 30 May 2014 12:59PM GMT
This post was deleted by a board administrator on 3 Jun 2014 1:38PM GMT

Re: Cherokee History.

Posted: 30 May 2014 3:12PM GMT
Kathy I am very new to this and found places where people had said he escaped the trail of tears.
Per my dad's family when I was growing up she is Dicey Carter and on her headstone it says 1811
and on her death certificate it says she was 112 yrs old which would have her born still in 1814.
I saw that someone had or saw written documentation from the Cline family and would like to find out where they found it.
I don't understand why you feel it's necessary to be so harsh and blunt. There is so much not documented that has been handed down that there is going to be differences.

Peggy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyTerms and Conditions