Classification: Query
Surnames: Adkins

I am looking for information concerning my
grandfather Marion Adkins, born about 1871 in
either Morgan or Elliott County, KY. I remember him
mentioning his nephews Guy Adkins and George Walter
Adkins. He may have had a brother named Ike. There
may be some connection to Joseph "Devil Joe" Adkins
that was related to Straley and Annie Day Adkins.
Does anyone have my grandfather listed? Thanks.

Straley & Annie Day Adkins

Gaye Adkins Arthur (View posts)
Posted: 29 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Adkins, Day, Whitt, Trent
I have no information about Marion Adkins but I would be very grateful for any information you have about Straley and Annie. They were my ggg grandparents and info is very hard to come by.

Re: Straley & Annie Day Adkins

Posted: 11 Nov 2001 3:49AM GMT
I have info on Straley Adkins. His mother was Catherine Straley (my Straley line), who married William Adkins about 1795-1800 in Giles County, VA. Son Straley was born about 1805 in VA & then they moved to Little Sandy, KY (Morgan County). Straley married Andocia Day & they had about 10 children. (Some of the dates I have don't quite jive, so there may be some error here; would appreciate help if others have more details.) I have tons of info on the Straley family of Virginia & will share.
Cathy Straley
dustyrds@airmail.net

Posted: 24 Sep 2008 4:00AM GMT
Surnames: Adkins, Hamilton, Straley
I am researching William Adkins from Morgan County Ky. He was born about 1802. He married Nancy Hamilton July 29, 1823 in Pike County Ky. I am wondering if he and Straley could be brothers. Do you know where William and Catherine Straley Adkins died? Do you have a copy of the marriage record? Who were William Adkins parents? Any help would be appreciated. Please contact me at dreynol5@comcast.net
Thanks,
Kim Reynolds

Posted: 24 Sep 2008 6:09AM GMT
at http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html

Certainly looks possible by their birth years (1802 & 1805). Didn't find anything on William/CatherineStraley Adkins. Not much help.

William and Nancy in 1850...(image available, shows Nancy and children: Wyatt, Piney, Francis, Anna, William, Nancy, Almeda and Clarinda)
Name: William Adkins
Residence: Morgan, Kentucky
Estimated birth year: 1802
Birth place: Virginia
Race or color (on document):
Race or color (expanded):
Death month:
Death date:
Film number: 442982
Image number: 00296
Reference number: 33
Dwelling: 565
Household id: 565
Marital status:
Free or slave:
Collection: 1850 United States Census
=============

Straley Adkins & wife, Andecia and children: Elisha, Preston, Piatti, William, Straley and Spencer.
Name: Straley Adkins
Residence: Morgan, Kentucky
Estimated birth year: 1805
Birth place: Virginia
Race or color (on document):
Race or color (expanded):
Death month:
Death date:
Film number: 442982
Image number: 00293
Reference number: 29
Dwelling: 545
Household id: 545
Marital status:
Free or slave:
Collection: 1850 United States Census
==============

Posted: 24 Sep 2008 5:16PM GMT
Sorry, but I do not have answers to your questions. My info is limited on whether William and Catherine Straley Adkins had other children besides son Straley. Any would have probably been born after 1805. Note also that some researchers think Catherine's husband was Joseph Adkins rather than William, and I don't have proof to prove either way. Good luck.

Posted: 24 Sep 2008 7:50PM GMT
Surnames: Adkins, Flannery, Mays, Click, Reynolds, Johnson, Howard,Whitt
Thanks so much for responding. I wasn't sure if you where still there, it was such an old post. That is the first I have seen on Joseph Adkins and Catherine Straley. These lines are all new to me. I just feel if we all keep sharing sooner or later someone will have a piece of the puzzle.
My husband's family is from Elliott County Ky. They where in Tazewell County Va, Pike county Ky, and Morgan County Ky. Some of the surnames are: Adkins, Flannery, Mays, Click, Reynolds, Johnson, Howard, and Whitt. I know there are others. So if anyone needs any info please feel free to ask. I am glad to share.
Thanks again,
Kim Harrison Reynolds
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyTerms and Conditions