William Guthrie/eleanor Abbott???

Posted: 10 Apr 2009 7:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Found in my notes was the following, previously noted by Larry J. Guthrie:

Peter Harris
d. 1775 in Cumberland Co, VA.

Mentioned in his will are wife, Elizabeth;
Sons: Henry & John
Dau: Susannah m. Peter Depp, Eleanor m. Wm. C. Guttery, Elizabeth m. Peter Walker, Sarah, & Ann.
In this will he instructs his executor to sell "the tract of land I own in Hanover Co. whereon I once lived."

The only William Guthrie/Eleanor combination that I have found in any records was the William Guthrie that was said to be married to Eleanor ABBOTT. The William who married Eleanor Abbott was said to be in Hanover Co., VA. so I'm wondering if the Abbott name isn't in error; and should more appropriately be Eleanor Harris, as supported by the
Peter Harris will of 1775? Comments?

Re: William Guthrie/eleanor Abbott???

Posted: 10 Apr 2009 9:52PM GMT
Surnames: Guthrie, Guthrey, Guttery
Hi James-
This may not add much to your Abbott query but I did find this 1998 anonymous post ot Ancestry.com board:

"Peter & Elizabeth HARRIS
Will of Peter HARRIS was proved in CUMBERLAND CO., VA Aug. 28, 1775. Mentions in will: Wife: Elizabeth HARRIS , Sons: Henry & John HARRIS, Daus: Susannah DEPP (wife of Peter DEPP), Eleanor GUTTERY (wife of Wm. GUTTERY), Elizabeth WALKER (wife of Peter WALKER, she was apparantly dec'd), Sarah HARRIS, Ann HARRIS. Granddaugthers: Mary GUTTERY and Ann DEPP, Grandson , Peter GUTTERY. Exec: wife, Elizabeth HARRIS and Charles CLARKE . Wit: Daniel & Mary Porter GUERRANT, Peter DEPP, & Charles CLARKE.

The DEPP, HARRIS & GUERRANT families were all in the Manikentown area from it's very beginnings. I believe Peter HARRIS & wife Elizabeth were likely decended from some of these early families. It is likely this part of CUMBERLAND CO. later became Powhatan Co as there is a note is Order Book 1 Powhatan county requiring the appearance of Elizabeth HARRIS, widow of Peter to appear before the court."

Pat

Re: William Guthrie/Eleanor DNA

Posted: 15 Apr 2009 3:17PM GMT
Surnames: Guthrie
Can anyone tell me which DNA group that this William Guthrie belongs to? Has testing been done on any of his descendants? I have looked at the Family Tree DNA project website but don't know which kits, if any, descend from William Guthrie & Eleanor. I'm trying to keep my Guthrie line straight & would like to know.

Posted: 15 Apr 2009 8:07PM GMT
Michelle,

contact Larry J. Guthrie
yrralguthrie@yahoo.com

Larry is the administrator of the DNA project and can answer your question. I'm not sure if a person of that line has been tested.

Posted: 15 Apr 2009 8:21PM GMT
Thanks for the info. I have been in touch with Larry and he is such a help! However, I haven't been able to persuade a male Guthrie relative to take the DNA test yet.

Posted: 16 Apr 2009 2:21PM GMT
I am Larry Guthrie, the administrator of the Family Tree DNA group. There have been no tests done on the line of William Guthrie and Eleanor Abbott. Since there is no dna evidence there is no way to tell if he is a member of one of the tested Family Tree DNA groups.

Larry

Posted: 16 Apr 2009 2:51PM GMT
Thanks Larry. That makes me feel like it's really important that I get the test done. I'll keep working on my Guthrie men. This will help to fit more pieces of the Guthrie puzzle together.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Terms and Conditions