Search for content in message boards

WV, VA Nicholas, father of Andrew Jackson Nicholas

WV, VA Nicholas, father of Andrew Jackson Nicholas

ellie (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jul 2000 5:14PM GMT
Looking for Andrews father and mother, Andrew was born 1822 and passed in 1897, Wife was Lydia Francis Foster 1832-1917

Nicholas WV/PA

Posted: 22 Jul 2000 7:33PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jun 2003 6:26PM GMT
I looked for that name, Andrew Jackson Nicholas, on my Nichoals family research. I could not find it. Mine came from PA by way of Pendleton Co., WV. George Nichoals was the main man b. 1727 in Germany. If you give me more information maybe I can help you.

Ann

andrew jackson nicholas

ellie (View posts)
Posted: 30 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Ann, I been in another world please cantact me at lunababi@yahoo.com. I'll hook you up with what info I have.

Thanks, Ellie

Re: Nicholas WV/PA

Posted: 8 Mar 2002 6:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Ann,
I also have Nicholas from Pa. I am having a very hard time locating some of them. Do you happen to have any of these names in your info? Charles Nicholas, Sarah Nicholas, John Nicholas, Emiline Nicholas or Samuel Nicholas all born in Pa in the early 1800's I believe they were also of German decent.

Thanks,
Ruth

Posted: 15 Mar 2002 7:53PM GMT

Dear Ruth Wills,

I am having trouble getting this message through. My first German Nicholas was George. He was born in 1727 and came here to PA in 1752. They were then in Pendleton Co. WV, and came on to Greenbrier Co., WV, in the 1790s. I found another Nicholas before that time in this area but do not know of a link.

The names you gave me sound familiar so I will look them up in my records at home, as I get my e mail at the local library.

Ann

Posted: 15 Mar 2002 7:54PM GMT

Dear Ruth,

My original German Nicholas was George Nicholas, who married Barbary Nicholas. The were Palatine Germans who sailed on the ship Neptune. They were wealthy. He was a brick mason and road overseer.

Your names sound familiar but I am at the library and do not have my geneology information with me. George had a son Henry, who ended up here in Greenbrier County, WV. They were in Pendleton Co., WV, before that and had come out of PA. George had been a grand juror for 10 years and was described as red-headed, tall, with black eyes and ruddy dark complexion.

Back to Henry. He married Hester Nicholas. I believe that is the last name. It is uncertain. My next Nicholas was Jacob Taylor. The next one was Thomas Renick and then my grandmother follows.

I also have records of the ones who remained in Pendleton Co., WV. They had large land holdings in several border counties, that is in VA bordering WV. They settled in the northern part of Greenbrier Co., WV, and also owned a brandy orchard. The settlements there were predominantly German. It is said George built a Lutheran church but I cannot be sure where. It may have been rebuilt on the same foundation.

As soon as I look up those names I will let you know more.

Ann

Posted: 20 Mar 2002 4:29PM GMT

Dear Ruth Wills,

I am not sure this information will help you, as my Nicholas people were born in Pendleton Co.,WV (then VA). My ggg grandfather, Henry Nicholas, was born in Straight Creek, Pendleton Co., in 1783. He had a son named John who was born 1/13/1824. He married Harriet Smith.

Here is another one: Francis Nicholas, b. 1775, same place, married in 1800. He died 12/13/1865. He married Catherine Waybright (Weybrecht). Her mother was Elizabeth Ammer. They had John Nicholas in 1819, who married Christina Gum. They had Sarah Nicholas in 1820. These people were also born in Pendleton Co., then VA.

Francis Nicholas, II was born in 1816. He married Barbara Simmons (Siemans?). She was born in 1817. They had Sarah Catherine Nicholas in 1838, Highland Co., VA, who married James Hinkle in September of 1856.

A Samuel Nicholas was born in 1849 in Greenbrier Co., WV (where I am now). None of these people were born in PA.

It may be possible there is relation in some other way. I saw a Johann Nicholas listed on a ship's passenger list above the name of my George "Nick" Nicholas. Most libraries have these large books with passenger lists. They arrived in Philly Landing in 1752. Wish I could help you some more.

Ann

Posted: 20 Mar 2002 5:09PM GMT
Edited: 16 Aug 2003 6:58PM GMT
I have 15 years research on this Nicholas family.
Francis /Barbara Simmons Nicholas are my g. grandparents.Would be glad to share information.

Ruth (View posts)
Posted: 20 Mar 2002 7:26PM GMT
Hi Ann,
Thanks for the reply. I know I keep running into the same names in Va as I have from Pa. There must be a connection somewhere. I'll keep digging.

Thanks
Ruth

Ruth Wills (View posts)
Posted: 20 Mar 2002 7:30PM GMT
Hi Barbara,
Do you recall any of the Nicholas being from Pa? I think somehow the Pa and the Va line must be connected as so many of the names are the same.

Thanks
Ruth
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Terms and Conditions