Search for content in message boards

John and William Morgan Edgecombe county NC

John and William Morgan Edgecombe county NC

Posted: 9 Aug 2011 12:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Morgan
I am looking for the parents of Edward Morgan who was born around 1770 in Edgecombe county.I think William or John Morgan are the parents.Edward Morgan married a Nancy Taylor.Any information would be helpfull.Edward and Nancy Taylor Morgan moved to Sumner county Tn. James Fleming

Re: John and William Morgan Edgecombe county NC

Posted: 22 Aug 2011 10:55AM GMT
Are you sure they are brothers? For I am findig in a book of wills of edgecombe nc 1733-1856 two wills of MORGAN one with a son John, and the other with a William.

Posted: 22 Aug 2011 10:57PM GMT
Surnames: Morgan
I am not positive that John or William are the father of Edward Morgan who was born around 1770 in North Carolina.I know that Edward MOrgan married a Nancy Taylor her father was a Daniel Taylor.It is possible that they were Quakers. James Fleming

Posted: 23 Aug 2011 3:02AM GMT
no edward morgans listed

Posted: 29 Feb 2012 12:16AM GMT
Edited: 29 Feb 2012 12:27AM GMT
John Morgan Sr did lived next to James Taylor and John Taylor. He had a brother William Morgan, Hardy James and Henry. James Jr lived in Birtie, his son Seth Morgan son John Alexander Morgan and moved to Haywood co TN then Arkansas. I do not show John Sr having a son Edward but he could have died and was not listed in his will. William could have but I can't doc that. There is a William living in Edgecombe 1836 drawing his pension, who has lived there all his life but it does not state his children. I think this might be William Morgan who married Sally Edwards and that could very well be how he got the name Edward. James Sr named one of his children Hardy and I think that was because his wife last name might be Hardy. Just a guess though but there was a John Hardy living next to James Sr. According to one of our DNA matches a descendant in 1811 stated that James Morgan came from England. This could be why I am finding it hard to find him in NC before 1740. We had a DNA match with a line of Morgan's down the road from Tredgar in Pontypool Wales not England in 1800's, They too married into the Edwards family, ___but I was told the boundry changed from time to time and some time's it was England. If Edward moved to TN then that would explain why we cannot find him in NC. I would be ver interested in looking at your genealogy if you care to send it to me! msheffield2003@yahoo.com or post it to me thru Ancestry above.

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 9:21PM GMT
William Morgan North Hampton died 1764 see, Edgecombe-NC
Edward Morgan, the only edward i have found was in North Hampton NC 1757, an orphan. He may be related to some of these Morgan's listed below all children of William. but I have not researched all of them yet. It is something to go on. We are related to these Morgan's of Edgecombe, and the Taylor were also in this family above. The William Morgan above had a daughter Mary Taylor. She maybe a sister of sister in law's.

Our DNA trail leads to North Hampton NC 1765 and then to MD about 1730

This line is our Morgan and here is how I got there.

Zac Milton Step Father of Elizabeth Celia Morgan Milton, Morgan wife of James, who died in 1790

William Morgan Edgecombe Co., NC (cousin to James Morgan Sr of Nash maybe son of Hardy Morgan, or Brother to William Joseph of William Joseph who died in 1764 in NH, NC).

(William Joseph Morgan died 1764 father to Celia Morgan, Milton, (she was born 1749 and a step-dtr) Morgan, Elizabeth Celia, and married James Morgan a cousin, John Sr who would be 13 at this time of Wm Joseph Morgan will. Wm Joseph earlier was married to Sarah Thomas wife of Zac Milton.

William Morgan Sept 4 1762
a track of 100 acres on the south side of White Oak Swamp at mouth of White Oak Swamp at Mouth of Cabin Branch.
Wit: Eth'A Exum, Charles Pointer,
George X Rochell, Peter Morgan 1761 Homony Swamp, Zackariah Milton.

THIS LAND IS NEXT TO TOILET SWAMP WHERE CELIA AND JAMES LIVED.LOOK AT A MAP FOR THAT TIME PERIOD.

Zackariah Milton does shows a relationship with our family of Morgan's. Zac's daughter Elizabeth Selah is his "Step Daughter" and according to their family records it has her age as being born about 1750 at the same time our John Sr. was born. So Zac's wife Sarah Thomas was married to a Morgan Possiably William Morgan who died 1765 who owned land on White Oak Swamp and Cabin Branch before marring Zackariah. Was it to William Morgan in the deed 1762 or was William a child of Sarah and the older brother to Elizabeth Celia? This would explain her Will in which she "leave a colt in his care of her brother William until he comes of age",? Elizabeth Celia marry's her cousin, James Morgan from Edgecombe and Elizabeth Parish in Nash. NC and Elizabeth Parrish of Nash Co NC. They have children; John, James, Henry, Stone, Hardy and Celia. I doubt if she is the mother and father to our John Morgan Sr because John Sr., names his first child William, born September 24, 1772 who was my gggg-granfather and the father of his only child William "Ezekiel" Melvin Morgan born Aug__ 1797. The naming tradation, first child is named after the "father of the father" and second son to wife father (John Stallings) so I believe William would be John Sr. father not James as other have written. I will write more on William later.

Deed book 00 - 127
Thomas Pollard of Edgecombe co. , Planter to Benjiman Smith, 5 June, 1756 for 4L ,7S a track of 50 acres on the N side of Tar River on Saphony Swamp adjoining both parties, it being part of a deed granted by Earl Granville on March 26, 1752. Wit: Duncan Lemon, William Defual, Zachariah Melton. (father of William Joseph Morgan of Edgecombe relationship to Zac Milton and Elizabeth Celia Morgan).

William Morgan
North Hampton, NC
In the name of God amen I William Morgan of Northampton County being very weak and crazy but of sound mind do make and ordain this my last will and testament in manner and form for lawing
Item I give and bequeath unto my son Joseph Morgan all the land that I am now possessed and of after my decease and my wifes decease or widowhood I likewise give him all my stock of cattle and hogs, I likewise give him all my moveable estate that I am now possessed of. I likewise give him my man bonded and saddle
Item I give to my son Joseph Morgan the above mentioned articles to him and his heirs forever
Item I give to my son William Morgan one shilling and three pence This is either the father of the Brother to Celia.
Item I give to my son Arnold Morgan one shilling and three pence
Item I give to my son Sampson Morgan one shilling and three pence
Item I give to my son Aaron Morgan one shilling and three pence
Item I give to my son Timothy Morgan one shilling and three pence
Item I give to my daughter Mary Toler one shilling and three pence
I do likewise constitute and make my son Joseph Morgan my hole and sole executor of this my last will and testament Whereof I have here unto affix my hand and seal this 14th day December 1764
William X Morgan and seal (his mark)
John Jones Sarah Jones Henry Johnson

Timothy Morgan of Guilford Co North Carolina
to beloved wife Mary Morgan, use of land, stock, furniture, Negro man Jo
to daughter Lucy Backen, five shillings
to daughter Mary Mathews, five shillings
to son Elias Morgan, thirty acres
to daughter Celah Mills, five shillings
to son Thomas Morgan, five shillings
to daughter Martha Morgan, five shillings
to son Kinchen Morgan, five shillings
to son Green Morgan, balance of home place, blacksmith tools, land after his mother’s decease
to grandson Enos Morgan, land
to Negro man Jo, freedom after Mary’s decease
Executors son Elias Morgan and Abel Coffin
28th day of May 1818
Timothy X Morgan (his seal and mark)
Hezekiah Clark, Winny Bird

Last Will and Testament of Elizabeth Selah Morgan
May 4, 1790
Nash County, NC
In the name of God Amen I Elisabeth Selah Morgain of the County of Nash and Province of North Carolina being very sick and weak in body but of sound and disposing memory do make this my Last Will and Testament in manner and form following that is to say Imprimis I give and bequeath to my eldest son James Morgain one mare and her increese except for furst colt I give to my son William Morgain also I give unto my son James Morgain fore calvbes and two yourlans with thare in crees for ever and the above mentioned cattle and mare I leve in the care
of my brother William Morgain to keep and do
take care of and the same and to let at the of the cattle such of can be
well spared out of the sd stocks and put the money out upon in trust till the child comes of age where as ratifying and confirming this and no other to be my last will and testament winst whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this forth day of May in the year of our Lord one thousand seven
hundred and nbinety I do
constitute and apoint my brother William Morgain and Elias Owens executors this my last signed sealled published pronounced and declared byu the sade Elisabeth Selah Morgain as her last will and testament in the presents of us whom his presents and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed names
his
her
James X Taler Elisabeth X Selah Morgain
mark
mark
his
Robert X Vick
mark

An inventory
was made of
the estate of Seley Morgan by William Morgan, administrator, on December 9, 1791 (Nash County Inventories, Sales and Current Accounts of Estates 1777-1859).
Elizabeth Celia MORGAN (her mark) written 4 May 1790 (dtr of Hardy Morgan s/o Henry
To eldest son James MORGAN - mare with colt to go to son William
MORGAN
To son William MORGAN 3 cows 3 yearlings to be in care of my brother William MORGAN
Executor - brother William MORGAN Eliza OWENS
Wit: - James TAYLOR (his mark) Robert VICK (his
mark)
I BELIEVE THIS JAMES MORGAN IS THE SON OF HARDY MORGAN AS HARDY DID THE INVENTORY OF JAMES MORGAN, ELIZABETH'S HUSBAND. AFTER JAMES 1772 DIED CELIA MARRIED MR SELAH AS SHE IS NAMED IN HER FARTHERS WILL.., SHE DIED IN 1790, ACORDING TO MILTON'S GENEALOGY SHE WAS BORN 1749 AND A STEP DAUGHTER. SHE COULD NOT BE THE MOTHER OF JOHN MORGAN SR. AS SHE WAS HIS AGE. jAMES COULD BE A UN-NAMED SON IN HARDY MORGAN'S WILL IN 1811. WE HAD DNA DON AND ARE IN GROUP 4 ON THE MORGAN WEB SITE AT WWW.SMALL-STUFF.COM/MORGAN

FROM SUSAN ALDRIDGE Blog
There were lots of William, James and Joseph Morgans in NC. I am trying to separate them.
Not sure which William this is- he is not William Joseph Morgan who was from another set of Morgans who were Quakers and in NC in the 1690s. JOSEPH SAID HE WAS BORN IN MD.
William Morgan - ?a brother to James Morgan? (wife Elizabeth Selah Milton)
Will 85mo, 129, probate May 1765
Joseph Morgan Will:
To my son Joseph Morgan all my land after my decease and my wife's (name not given) decease and to my sd son also all my cattle and hogs and all my moveable estate
to my sons William, Arnold, Sampson, Aaron and Timothy Morgan and my daughter Mary Toler one shilling and three pense each.
Extra: my son Joseph Morgan
Wits: John Jones, Sarah Joiner X her mark, Henry Johnson Probate refe rs to witness as Sarah Jones
Son:
Joseph Morgan (born 1745) died ca 1792 in 1773 29 Sep Age: 28 Joseph Morgan of Province of Md 200 acres on N bank Tar River on Gum Swamp from John White of Edge. Deed Bk 2 74 Wit.Th & Alex. Cromwall of Tar River
Children of Joseph Morgan of Edgecombe Co NC marriages 1st Sarah, 2nd Mary Jelk Atkinson
1. Mary MORGAN ca 1762 married Drury SPELL, given slave 1779 witnessed by John Spell (Drury's father) 1762-Sep.4-Joseph purchased 100 acres on the south bank of White Oak Swamp at the mouth of Cabin Branch in Edgecombe County -sold this land without a dower release on 19 April -either his wife had just died or he was still unmarried. Mary was born just before that or after a marriage which follows. 12 October 1774. Joseph and his wife Sarah sold 300 acres of their land to Jonas Shivers (Chavis?)
2. "Nancy" Ann MORGAN 1767 m. Ezekiel Causey and Levin/Leavin Causey Levin Causey's estate record says//Account received from a 1/5 part of the balance due from Mary Morgan Admrx. to the estate of Joseph Morgan Decd Aug Ct 1785. Joseph Will list four sons, one dtr Ann. Second will list only three sons, and step mother as 5th part. From Kinfolk of Edgecombe Cash was received from Mary Morgan adm. Div. of money among Mary Morgan, Anne Casway, John Morgan, Jo Morgan, Aug Court 1794.I show in my notes of Ezekiel Causey--"another, Ezekiel married Ann Morgan dtr of Joseph." I am not sure of the dates or location here.
3. James MORGAN 1770 made admist of his father will 1792) The Jas. may been Jos?
4. Joseph MORGAN 1772
5. John MORGAN 1776- in 1792 Aug. Term Court. John Morgan chose brother Joseph as guardian. (He may have reaches his majority by 1794 when he sold land "according to will of Joseph Morgan."
Joseph married 2nd Mary Jelk, widow Atkinson, 1779-1780 probably after the children's mother died. From Becky Oct. 2000 Joseph Morgan married 1780 Mary Jelks. #1 was m. John Atkinson 1774 Northampton Va. After Joseph Morgan's death, Mary remarried to David Hathaway: 1792 Petition May (614) for dower by David Hathaway and wife Mary, formerly widow of dec'd Joseph Morgan, stating deceased died possessed of 410 A composed of sepaerate titles, all on or near Tar River. Notice given to Joseph, John and David Morgan, all heirs of dec'd. Year's privision alloted the widow . (no date.)
6. David MORGAN b ca 1780 no knowledge- "to David, tract running from old river landing to great putlick road. Sein place to David and Robert; Robert, tract adj. David's having houses etc. on it (whereupon I live) "
7. Robert MORGAN b. ca 1784 died as a child before 1792
his father married Mary Atkinson 1779-1780 probably after the children's mother died

1. Joseph MORGAN got "all my land after my decease and my wife's (name not given) decease and to my sd son also all my cattle and hogs and all my moveable estate"
2. William MORGAN got one shilling and three pense
1794 Nov. 10 William Morgan will Edgecombe--probated Feb. Court 1795. Names sons William and John, dtr. Martha Price and Kiddy Jones and grandson David. Edgecombe NC Wills November 10, 1794-1795 William gives all land to son William Morgan and gr. son David Morgan gets mare and stock. (Is this the William who first appears 1763 records wife Sarah died prior to will)
3. Arnold got one shilling and three pense
4. Sampson got one shilling and three pense
5. Aaron got one shilling and three pense
6. Timothy Morgan got one shilling and three pense
7. Mary Toler got one shilling and three pense

Was this also a brother to James???1727/26 Oct 22-Nov 1730 Pasquotank Precinct NC:
ROBERT MORGAN will: sons Bennet, Joseph, Robert, Moses (a plantation to each), Aaron. Daughters Allis, Elizabeth, Ann, and Juda. Wife Elizabeth
Exec: sons Bennett and Joseph Morgan.
Wit: Abel Ross, Tamar Ross, Jeruas Jones, James Adams. Proven before Richard Everard.
1762-Sep.4-purchased 100 acres on the south bank of White Oak Swamp at the mouth of Cabin Branch in Edgecombe County -sold this land without a dower release on 19 April 1762

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 3:04AM GMT
After posting all of this information I find out that this William morgan of Edgecombe NC DNA does not match my John Morgan of Nash Nc who was born 1748. this group is in Group 25
my group 4. Celia and William Morgan must be related to wm who died 1774 but not to us.

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 3:04AM GMT
After posting all of this information I find out that this William morgan of Edgecombe NC DNA does not match my John Morgan of Nash Nc who was born 1748. this group is in Group 25
my group 4. Celia and William Morgan must be related to wm who died 1774 but not to us.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Terms and Conditions