Search for content in message boards

Charles Cote/Cota from Clinton County, New York

Charles Cote/Cota from Clinton County, New York

Posted: 8 Nov 2008 3:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cote, Cota
Help needed finding the parents name of Charles Cote or Cota. Charles was born @ 1821, he married Mary Lamontagne aka Lamountain. They lived in Ausable, Clinton County, New York & Belmont, Franklin County, New York. Charles died @ 1883 or 1884. There was a church fire and I have been told the records were destroyed. The town did not keep death records back then so I am at a complete loss (for the past 2 years) on finding his parents names.
Thank you,
Karen

Re: Charles Cote/Cota from Clinton County, New York

Posted: 14 Nov 2008 7:36PM GMT
Please check the Cooperville, NY birth records for Angelique, Marie Anne, & Pierre Cote (the children of Charles Cote & Marie Lamontagne to see if there is a variation of the names. Also the godparents could reveal alot about the family. That's another way to idenity further. I also have that couple. Keep me posted.

Posted: 14 Nov 2008 9:20PM GMT
Surnames: Cote, Cota, Lamontagne, Lamountain
Hi Linda,

I did not have the name Pierre. Do you have any further information on him?

This is some of the information I have on the family. If you need anymore, let me know.

Charles Cote born about 1821 married Marie Olive Salne Dit Lamontagne born 31 March 1826 daughter of Abraham Lamontagne & Angelique Fontaine. Marriage date approx. 1841 in Clintonville, NY. Mary (Lamontagne) Cote died 16 April 1904 in Potsdam, NY
Children:
1) Helene born 1842 (my great great grandmother) married Olivier Jeremie Roberge. Helene died 12 April 1925 in Dracut, Ma
2) Charles born 1843 married Eliza Martineau. Charles died 13 May 1931 in Tupper Lake, NY
3) Joseph born 1846 married Maria Thibault. Joseph died 20 May 1924 in Potsdam, NY
4) Abram born 1848.
5) Alex born 1850 married Alice Woods. Alex died 7 April 1929 in Potsdam, NY
6) Angelica born 1851 married Francis Demarais. Angelica died 7 May 1907 in Clintonville, NY
7) Mary Ann born 12 March 1856 married Oliver Brunell. Mary Ann died 9 March 1934 in Ogdensburg, New York
8) Isaac born 30 Nov 1857 and died 13 Mar 1870 in Keeseville, NY
9) Adeline born 3 August 1860 married Dominat Beaudin. Adeline died 7 August 1927 in Potsdam, NY
10) Henriette "Hattie" born April 1863. Never married and died 22 August 1936 in Potsdam, NY
11) Elise born 1869. Died 29 March 1872 in Clintonville, NY
12) Marie Olive born 28 Sept 1871 married Joseph Larose. Marie Olive died January 1923 in Dexter, NY

Thanks,
Karen

Posted: 15 Nov 2008 12:59PM GMT
Thanks so very much for the info. I have Pierre Cote b. @1866 or 67 in Coopersville, NY. Nothing else on him. As for Charles Cote-Side & Elizabeth Martineau married in Keeseville, NY Feb-8-1866 He was born Jun-5-1842 Clintonville, NY & I have died May-14-1931 Belmont, NY. Was Charles Side in the US Civil War. Marie Anne Cote w/o Oliver Brunell (thanks to you that I had bon Feb of 1855 in Cooperville, NY as she was baptized Jul-15-1855 there. Godparents are Alexis Brule & Sophie Langlois. OH!! For Angelqiue Cote & Francis Desmarais married at SJ, Keesville, NY Apr-8-1872 & we have the same birthdate. She was baptized Jan-16-1853 Cooperville. Godparents are Francois Cote & Marguerite Landry who married in Cooperville, NY Sep-28-1847, for which I do have his parents of Isidore Cote & M. Anne Gauthier of 1803. Could our Charles h/o M. Olive Lamontagne be of that family also. Presently have 4 kids for Isidore's family but no Charles yet??? Do you have the place of birth and marriage date & places for the children of Charles Cote & Marie Olive Lamontagne? Many thanks. Email me at cotedube@verizon.net

Posted: 17 Sep 2009 12:01AM GMT
Surnames: Lamontagne
Hi,

This might be late but here it is, I found your Marie Olive Lamontagne. She was the daughter of Abraham Lamontagne dit Lalue and Angélique Fontaine dite Bienvenue. However she born on the 30 mar 1827 in Marieville, Qc, Can.

Posted: 17 Sep 2009 1:10AM GMT
Hi,

I found Charles Côté s/o Isidore et M.Anne Gauthier born on the 6 july 1812 in Baie-du-Febvre, Yamaska, Qc.

Gaston

Posted: 31 Aug 2010 8:23PM GMT
Hi Linda!

Been a while :)

Who has a index of all Cote names?

I now know Charles Cote was born in St. Come, Joliette, Quebec. Still don't know his parents and with my great luck St. Come has not been filmed before 1870 something :(

One of these days - I'll find them! But I'm getting old now...so they better be found within the next 10 years!

Posted: 1 Sep 2010 12:39PM GMT
The Records for Saint-Come begin in 1867. I did not see a Charles Cote in 1867-1869 in the Drouin Records. If he was born prior to 1867 then he might have been baptized in a neighboring town.
Charlie King

Posted: 1 Sep 2010 5:53PM GMT
oh no! a neighboring town/village :(

I looked at the D collection too and saw the years of records....

Been searching for him for several years...Guess my search will continue for another several...hey keeps me busy and out of trouble! :)

Thank you for the information!

Posted: 2 Sep 2010 5:53PM GMT
Give me all the details that you have about Charles and let me try another approach.
I have that:
Charles Cote was born prior to 1870, probably someplace close to Saint-Come, QC.
...Have you located him in the US census so you can determine (from the census) his approximate birth year?
...Was his wife or children born in QC?
...Any other details that you have?
Thanks,
Charlie King
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyTerms and Conditions