Search for content in message boards

Buckhannon Prison @ Lorentz - Brushy Fork Rd

Buckhannon Prison @ Lorentz - Brushy Fork Rd

Posted: 21 Feb 2011 5:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone know the history of the building that houses the WV DOH Equipment Division, on Route 33 at the intersedtion of the Brushy Fork Road, near Buckhannon WV? If memory serves me correctly I believe it once was a prison that housed inmates who worked on public works projects in the 1930's through the late '50's. Much like we see inmates from step down prisons picking up trash along the interstates today, in those days the prisoners actually worked to repair and patch roads and repair and maintain equipment. I don't know if this was a part of the Moundsville system or perhaps Huttonsville - which initially was built as a work farm for 'Medium Security' inmates of the state prison system. In the late '50's they had inmates at Buckhannon who were trained as auto mechanics working there to repair State Road (DOH)equipment from all over the WV - and I think that's how it transformed into its present format. Anyone have any idea where I can find more information on this subject?

Re: Buckhannon Prison @ Lorentz - Brushy Fork Rd

Posted: 24 Feb 2011 5:48AM GMT

Posted: 1 Mar 2011 2:51PM GMT
Thanks for the information and history link Viola...still didn't find anything about a Prison however - surely there must be someone in Buckhannon or Upshur County who remembers the current WVDOH Equpment facility being a prison at one time. I don't think I'm imagining it.

Posted: 1 Mar 2011 4:16PM GMT
Are you on Facebook? West Virginia has a page there, you might try posting it, I will today and see if there are any responses...

Posted: 3 Mar 2011 3:10AM GMT
I posted it but no reply as of yet!!

Posted: 6 Mar 2011 7:52PM GMT
The main building was built in 1941 by prison labor but it was never a prison.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Terms and Conditions