Search for content in message boards

Poe, Blades

Poe, Blades

Posted: 22 Mar 2002 4:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Nov 2006 2:26AM GMT
Surnames: Poe, Blades,
Would like to find descendants of Emily Jane Poe and Oscar Jerome Blades. Emily was born in 1833 in Bracken County, Kentucky.

Re: Poe, Blades

P.Frost (View posts)
Posted: 9 Apr 2002 8:46PM GMT
Did your Oscar Blades have a brother named Charles Selby Blades? Charles Selby was my great grandfather.

Posted: 9 Apr 2002 11:20PM GMT
Thanks for you inquiry.
I do not know if my Oscar Blades had a brother named Charles Selby Blades or not. However, Oscar did name one of his eleven children Charles. I just recently found this Blades-Poe connection, so don't have a great deal of info as yet.
Eleanor

Alan Blades (View posts)
Posted: 23 Apr 2002 8:56PM GMT
Surnames: Blades
I can't help you with the Poe comnnection, but I am interested in the name Charles Selby Blades. Whatcan you tell me about him? The name "Selby" is prevalent in the descendants of Benjamin Henderson Blades from Worceste Co. MD. My ggrandfather was Selby P. Blades. Also there are other Selbys in TX & LA.

Posted: 27 Apr 2002 12:40AM GMT
Surnames: POE, BLADES
Sorry, I have not come across the name Charles Selby Blades. My Emily Poe married Oscar Jerome Blades in Bracken County, Kentucky. Their sons were Alvin, Dertha, Dess Breese, Thomas Edward, Charles, Oscar, and Grover Cleveland. These men were born in the 1860-70 era. Eleanor

Posted: 7 Aug 2003 11:53PM GMT
Surnames: Poe Blades Fronk Redden Day
Just found out that Oscar Jerome Blades did have a brother Charles Selby Blades. Now we can compare notes. I would like to use information on your family in my upcoming book "The Family Of Poe" volume 2.

Posted: 7 Aug 2003 11:56PM GMT
Surnames: Blades Poe Fronk Day Redden
Just found out that Charles Selby Blades was a brother to the Oscar Jerome Blades who married the Emily Poe that is in "The Family Of Poe" volume 2, to be published in 2004. I would like to include data on your family.

Posted: 1 Jan 2005 1:38AM GMT
I am not sure that this will be received and, if received, then it will receive a reply.

I followed your notes about Oscar Jerome Blades and Emily Poe. I also followed your notes about Charles Selby Blades. My research goes to Edward Blades, the father of Oscar Jerome and Charles Selby. Edward married Clarrisy West in Bracken County, Kentucky. I do not recall the date, but I have it. I also have a copy of the marriage bond executed by Edward Blades and John (?) West, Clarrisy's father. Edward died in Bracken County and was buried in the Mt. Zion Cemetary, I think. Edward was born in Maryland. Unfortunately, due to time limits, I have been unable to discover additional information. I do have in my possession, a letter (original-very old) from somebody who was in the Charles Selby Blades family to my grandmother. If you reply, I will get further info as requested.

Thank you for your time.

Greg McDowell, Union, Kentucky

Posted: 1 Jan 2005 3:43AM GMT
Surnames: Poe, Blades, Redden, Agrue, Beal, Frazee, Keck
Thank you for the message. The data you listed is about the same as I have on Poe/Blades. Oscar was the one who connected to my Poe family, so their story appears in Volume 2 of "The Family Of Poe" that I had published in October 2004. I could add the wedding date for Edward Blades and Clarrisy West to my files, if you would like to send it. Also I would be glad to have anything about Oscar and Emily, if they are mentioned in the letter to which you refer. Thanks again, Eleanor

Greg McDowell (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jan 2005 5:21AM GMT
It has been some time since I have looked at my research. I will look at it tomorrow and let you know.

I know that I have an old charcoal drawing of Oscar Jerome Blades (at least my late aunt told me that it was him and it appears to be of the right date), a copy of the marriage bond between Edward Blades and Clarissy West, photographs of Oscar Jerome Blades tombstone (with his wife) and Oscar Jerome Blades' obituary as it appeared in the local paper. I also have a little research on the Poe family as Emily was a Poe; but, it appears as though you have completed your research on the Poe family.

I take it from your reply that your connection with the Blades is through the Poes.

If you reply, I will look further and reply tomorrow. Lastly, do you know who was the father/mother for Edward Blades?

Thank you.

Greg McDowell

In the Web site which I found your emails, I noted that there appears to be certain errors about Oscar Jerome Blade's father. I am almost positive that his father was Edward J. Blades and his mother was Clarissy West. Do you agree. Other information listed another individual as Oscar Jerome Blades' father.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyTerms and Conditions