Search for content in message boards

Samuel McKay, son of Elijah

Samuel McKay, son of Elijah

Posted: 15 Sep 2011 6:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone have any information re: Samuel McKay 1734 Scotland (married Margaret Hamilton). I have found Elijah to be his father, but no name for his mother. I am at a road block and want to be able to go further back in my lineage. Any help would be grately appreciated!!!!!

Re: Samuel McKay, son of Elijah

Posted: 21 Nov 2011 8:50PM GMT
Samuel McKay married Marion Bond who was born around the 1700s in Scotland and died in 1734 in North Carolina

Posted: 5 Dec 2011 3:45AM GMT
I show that Samuel was born about 1734 in Scotland and Died May 23, 1817. I also show Elijah McKay was born in 1700 in Scotland and died in 1734 in USA with Marion Bond being his wife. Unfortunately my dates of birth and death are the sam for Elijah and Marion. I cannot go any further. I would really like to know where Samuel and Elijah came from. What part of Scotland did they live in? Who were Elijah's parents? Does anyone have any more information?

Posted: 26 Dec 2011 8:44PM GMT
Surnames: McKay
I too have researched the Elijah and Samuel McKay topic even to a visit to Scotland and conversation with a Professional Genealogist who told me Elijah is not a Scottish name. He suggested that it could well be an assumed name when our ancestor came to this country. I read one account of Samuel McKay which said that he, his brother and probably his father sailed from Scotland to North Carolina, sailing up the Cape Fear River and settled in the vicinity of Craven County about 1745-1750. I have found no ship with their names on the manifest at this time. I believe you have exceeded my research by finding the name of Marion Bond and would like very much to learn more about her. Thank you in advance.

Posted: 4 Jan 2012 8:13PM GMT
I have just found some new information that leads me away from Elijah and to a Thomas Mackie (m. Rosannah McIntyre) from Ceres, Fife, Scotland. I have just litterally stumbled across this information, so I've yet to give it the research it requires. I retrieved the info of Elijah from other member's trees, but I've not found any supporting evidence (birth, marriage, death certs or census records). Once I give this a more thorough search, I will gladly share with you the information that I get! It does appear that Samuel had two brothers (John and William) that travelled with him as well as his father, Thomas from Ireland to the states. If this is true, possible parents for Thomas are John Mackie and Mary Pitcairn (both of Ceres, Fife, Scotland). I will post more info once I have it. If you should gain any info from this and are able to peice more together, please leave a comment and share with me as well!

Posted: 5 Jan 2012 3:59AM GMT
Thanks so much!! I do so hope to find what the true facts are. I don't believe I mentioned to you that my Mother is 4 months away from her 96th birthday and it would be so good to be able to give information to her about her ancestry. I will be sure to keep you apprised of any new information I obtain. Within the next couple of weeks I have plans to visit Amite, Ms where Samuel and part of his family went to live. Most of my ancestors settled in Clay County Alabama after South Carolina and perhaps North Carolina. Good luck to you.

Posted: 4 Apr 2012 6:11PM GMT
Surnames: McKay or McCoy
I am a descendant of Samuel David McCoy, son of Elijah Albert McKay. Samuel David died in 1935. The McKay name changed in the 1800's as far as I can tell. They left SC and moved to MS where they stayed until the 1900's when they began to spread away from farming into other ventures. My mother and several of her sisters were nurses. The ancestors of my grandfather came from Scotland. Samuel and his wife, Marion Bond, were born about 1735 but we have been unable to find out where in Scotland or who their parents were. Any information you might have would be interesting.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Terms and Conditions