Search for content in message boards

McDaniel to McDonald name change

McDaniel to McDonald name change

Posted: 29 Apr 2003 4:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McDaniel, McDonald, Castor
Does anyone know why Jacob Mc Daniel’s sons, all living in Hamilton Co., IN in 1850 and 1860 changed their last name to Mc Donald? Also looking for information on Jacob Mc Daniel. Thanks, Suzanne

Re: McDaniel to McDonald name change

Posted: 27 Sep 2003 6:24PM GMT
This won't be much help; but, while researching the McDonald's in Ohio I've seen them listed as McDaniel's elsewhere. For example, in wills or estates listed as one, then in a later census as the other.

Posted: 11 Aug 2004 11:44PM GMT
Edited: 21 Aug 2004 4:04PM GMT
I am a McDaniel and in researching my family roots, I have heard stories of how years ago, two brothers got into a fight and one of them changed their name from McDonald to McDaniel. I dont know how true this is but it might help

Ed (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jan 2005 7:16PM GMT
In searching records for my McDaniel family from Md./ Pa. to Athens Co.,Oh.,I also found the name spelled McDonald on various records. Since most of these early farmers in Athens Co.,Oh. could not read or write,it was up to the census taker,or whoever ,to decide how to spell the name.Variations also include McDanold,McDonals,McDaniels,but not limited to. I have a line,which the surname was spelled differently in each census from 1840-1900,Athens Co.,Oh. The descendants still spell the names two different ways to this day.

Posted: 15 Mar 2008 3:09AM GMT
Surnames: McDaniel,McDonald
My family line name changed after the Civil War. My family is from Berkeley Co. Wv. This was a boarder line state that had mixed beliefs of the War. Many brothers choose different sides.
I also agree that the census takers really didn't do such a great job in reporting names also. Remember, in the 1800's they most likely rode up on a horse when the head of the family was working in the fields and they most likely got their information from whomever was at the house at the time,

Posted: 24 Jul 2010 4:47PM GMT
I heard the same store about the two brothers, but I also heard that others had changed their names to get married. Cousins marrying cousins. I'm also a McDaniel looking up my family roots.

Posted: 24 Jul 2010 10:54PM GMT
McDaniel is just another form of McDonald-MOST of the deviations are due to 'free spelling'by census takers, clerks,etc. in the American south, McDaniel and McDonald were the same. there was no differene in Mac or Mc, or big D or little d. While researching my family-my maiden name is McDaniel- I also found McDonald, Macdannell, Mcdanel, McDonnell,and all manner of spelling variations for the same families. And my father put 2 little dashes under an elevated small c when he signed his name...

Posted: 26 Jul 2010 7:42PM GMT
A lot of people do not want to amit that way back when, cousins married cousins. I know for a fact that it has happened. The female would change her name to McDonald before getting married to her cousin who is a McDaniel. I know this for a fact because my grandmother changed her name to McDonald before marrying her cousin who is a McDaniel. And it has been done like that for a long time.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyTerms and Conditions