Search for content in message boards

Ira Hayes

Ira Hayes

Posted: 26 Apr 2001 10:38AM GMT
Edited: 31 Jan 2002 7:55AM GMT
Can anyone help me find information about the family of Ira Hayes, the Pima Indian who served in WWII, at the flag raising in Iwo Jima?
Thanks,
John Hayes

Ira Hayes

Lissa Gamble (View posts)
Posted: 26 Apr 2001 1:55PM GMT
My grandparents were Walter R. & Pricie Hayes from Kentucky & Ohio. They are related to Ira Hayes as well as the President R.B. Hayes, but thats all I know at this point! If you find out more info please E-mail me! Thanks!

Ira Hayes

Lissa Gamble (View posts)
Posted: 26 Apr 2001 1:57PM GMT
Heres my E-mail, gamblelissa@hotmail.com

Ira Hayes

Brenda Shelton (View posts)
Posted: 9 May 2001 6:35PM GMT
My ggandmother was Anna Hayes. She was born in 1869 in OK. She had a brother with a unusual name. I can`t remember how it was spelled, but it was a indian name, as my ggrandmother and her siblings were half indian. The name was pronounced Ira. There was a sister named Mollie. They left OK. and went to KY. There may have been more siblings. I am still getting info on the Hayes family. Ira took his wife and children back to OK. Some of his sons went from OK. to AZ. One of the sons had a son he named after his father, only he spelled it the american way, Ira. My cousin who has been researching this family for 25 years states that the grandson was the one that helped to lift the flag at Iwo Jima. His father married a Pima indian . I don`t have her name yet. I think it`s interesting to know that Ira was not a full blooded indian as everyone thought, he actually would have been a little over half indian. I`m sure if they hsd known he would`nt have been treated any differently. It`s really sad. Brenda.
Email me at sheltonwilliam@hotmail.com

Ira Hayes

Posted: 10 May 2001 12:19AM GMT
Edited: 31 Jan 2002 7:55AM GMT

Brenda,
Thanks for the info! That is a big help. I am not sure if you have this information already, but Joe E. Hayes and Nancy W. Hayes are the parents of Ira Hayes. I have a book on Iwo Jima and it said that Joe and Nancy had 8 children. My goal right now is to find out who the siblings are, and which one is my husbands grandfather.If I have it figured out, one of Ira's brothers is my husbands grandfather. I think he lived in Pennsylvania when my husbands dad was born. We have no contact with him so it's difficult to put this together
I found something in the Mormon database about a Hayes family moving south from Utah, and settling in the the exact place in Arizona where the Pima Indian lived in the 1800's.
So I continue to search...
Thanks Again!

Ira Hayes

Brenda Shelton (View posts)
Posted: 14 May 2001 11:51AM GMT
Hi Bonnie. Where in the mormon database did you find info about a Hayes family moving from Utah to the South? Did it include a year,or time period? Thanks! Brenda.
p.s. I`m LDS and thats why this info is so important to me. I assume this is just a hobby for you?

Ira Hayes

Brenda (View posts)
Posted: 14 May 2001 11:53AM GMT
HI again. I meant to tell you if you like you can contact me through my email.
sheltonwilliam@hotmail.com

Re: Ira Hayes

Posted: 12 Aug 2004 12:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hayes
I have no more information on Joe and Nancy Hayes 8 children only of Ira Hayes who was to be Pima indian.My fathers dad who he never knew was John W. Hayes and served in the Army.Was told there may be some relations to Ira Hayes but cant find new information on all the children born to Joe and Nancy Hayes.Please reply soon with new information .

Posted: 1 Aug 2005 3:35AM GMT
Edited: 1 Aug 2005 2:42PM GMT
Surnames: Hayes, Wade
I don't know much about them but my ggg-Grandmother was Annie Hayes who married Marion Wade. They had several children including my gg-grandmother Lola Wade. I havn't really been able to find much info on them at this time. But I have always been told by my Grandfather that Ira was a distant cousin.

Posted: 1 Aug 2005 3:41AM GMT
Edited: 1 Aug 2005 2:42PM GMT
Surnames: Hayes, Wade
Really? My ggg-grandmother I believe was a Aunt of Ira's her name was Annie Hayes. She married Marion Wade and they had several children together. Among them was my gg grandmother, Lola Wade. Have you come across a Annie Hayes in your research?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Terms and Conditions