Search for content in message boards

Greer/Grier DNA testing

Greer/Grier DNA testing

David E. Greer (View posts)
Posted: 22 Apr 2006 4:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
For a long time I have been viewing so many groups of seemingly unrelated Greer/Griers'. I must beg of all of you, if you haven't already done so, to take the DNA test offered by FTDNA (http://www.ftdna.com/). It does cut through a lot of work and can give you surprising results. Who knows, some of you just "casting your bread upon the water" might find relatives plus some.

Re: Greer/Grier DNA testing

Posted: 23 May 2006 12:02AM GMT
Surnames: Grier,Russell
When David urged Y-dna testing and mentioned surprises, he was so right. My husband Thomas Russell before he died last June did the Y-dna test. We have firm Russell genealogy back to one James and Margaret Russell both born 1772 in PA. Today I got a message from Family tree DNA. They assure me that within the last 100 to 300 years my husband had a common ancestor GRIER. He matched James Grier born 1708 in Antrim. At first I thought he did not. BUT FTDNA said that the two markers on which they differ are known to be fast mutating markers.
Due to that response from FTDNA. I would like more information on James Grier. 298 years back is when he was born . And my husband's line has been Russell for 234 years

Posted: 9 Jan 2008 8:32PM GMT
My brother--Ross Wayne Grier--also had dna testing re: to James Grier, 1708, Antrim. Previously my paper trail had ended with this same James Grier. I would be glad to share any information I have with you. G Grier

Posted: 10 Jan 2008 12:09AM GMT
Surnames: Grier,Russell
I desperately need more inFormation. I would be delighted to see your paper trail. My email is Maryiola@alltel.net Please write to me there. I guess that James Grier never left Scotland and was still living there when my husband's family were already Russell's in Pennsylvania? It may turn out that the connection was far back earlier than James Grier. Mary

Posted: 11 Jan 2008 1:28AM GMT
My brother Ross Wayne Grier, born 1939 tested.
Ross Early Grier, born 1900 married Mary DELENA Webb.
Ross Griswold Grier, born 1866 marrried Lilly June Aldrich.
Ebenezer Clarkson Grier (E.C.), born 1821 married (#2) Eliza Theresa Griswold.
Col Thomas J. Grier, born 1785 married Mary D Harris.
Thomas Grier, born 1744 married Hannah Alexander.
James Grier, 1708 married Margaret Brown.

James Grier was born in County Antrim, Ireland--wife Margaret Brown--several children, one grandchild Jimmy --came to America 1772 to Lancaster CO PA.-- within a month of his son Thomas who was on a different ship. (One son --Jimmy's father--stayed behind to take care of family business and then died before he could make the trip. Father James and son Thomas both participated in the Revolutionary War and serendiptously met in South Carolina after the war. One was planning to take his family to NC and the other agreed to do the same. James, son Thomas, and other children settled then in Mecklenburg CO NC where they became long contributing residents of the community at Steele Creek. From Steele Creek, my great grandfather, Ebenezer Clarkson Grier, moved to Jones County GA where his association with Samuel Griswold (as his attorney) perhaps influenced his marriage to Eliza Theresa Griswold--Samuel's daughter. It was a second marriage for both E.C. and or Eliza (widow of Henry W. Dorsey. My grandfather was Ross Griswold Grier who moved to Florida and had a pencil factory near Homosassa Springs.

I was hoping to determine ancestry of James Grier (Greer/Grierson) with DNA testing but so far no evidence that I am aware of. My guess is that his family was from the Grier/Grierson line of Scotland and had left there for Ireland due to religious leanings and persecution.

Good luck in figuring out the mystery of Russell/Grier.
My email is guinevere.grier@gmail.com and I will contact you at yours with more information.

Posted: 25 Jan 2008 10:25AM GMT
SEND GENEALOGY TREE AS FAR AS CAN G ELFINNO2004@YAHOO.COM

Posted: 11 Jun 2008 3:02PM GMT
Surnames: Russell, Taylor, Sturgeon
I wonder if we're related. My Russells came from County Down, some from Antrim. Originally Scotland. Lots of Davids, Johns, Williams, Andrews. I know they had relatives over here when they came in June of 1851, and I know they didn't come as a result of the famine. They landed in New York on the HERCULES, then show up in New York State before moving through Indiana on their way to Preston, MN. (Close to the Iowa border.)

Posted: 11 Jun 2009 2:33PM GMT
David Greer did the DNA testing and so did Brown Grier and we are in this Greer/Grier line that has the Viking connection. Our line is James 1708, James 1738, Alexander 178?, John M. 1804 who went to MS and AR.

James 1738 b. Antrim Co was a brother to Thomas and an Uncle to James (Jimmy), son of John who stayed in Ireland.

I was told that all these Greers came to America at the same time. James & Margaret, Thomas, James, Jimmy, Mary and
another sister (Margaret or Martha). Do you have any info from Ireland?

Posted: 1 Apr 2010 8:12PM GMT
Surnames: Robert Isaac Grier or Greer b. 1735, DNA projects
My son Harry Grier recently tested with Family Tree DNA. He is classified I1 within the Greer/Grier Viking Group. Our Georgia Grier branch descends from Robert Isaac Grier b. 20 Feb 1735 in Northern Ireland, possibly Armagh or Antrim. Robert was from a Quaker family. He changed his name from Greer to Grier after he arrived in America. He arrived in Pennsylvania in 1749. He returned to Ireland to marry Catherine Elizabeth McMurry Burns, a widow, of a different faith, probably Presbyterian. Robert and Catherine returned to PA and purchased land in Lower Chanceford, York, PA. They and 6 sons and daughters were in Georgia by 1773 where they remained. I can find no connection with the other Greer/Grier colonial families. If you can help we will appreciate it.

Also who else is collecting Grier/Greer/ Grierson Y-DNA reports? Harry is already participating in the Greer/Grier Project, McGregor Project and Ulster History Project,and Scottish Clans Project through FTDNA. We would be happy to provide report results to any group conducting Grier and related surname projects.

Bette Grier

Posted: 2 Apr 2010 1:30AM GMT
Hi Bette,

I am a direct descendant of Robert Grier's son Moses. I would love to exchange and compare information with you. There are several of us from his family working on him. I was interested to see that you had his middle name. We had never seen it on any documents. Of course, he named a son Isaac Robert, so it stands to reason that might be his middle name.

Perhaps we can exchange information.

You can contact me off list at njyork@sbcglobal.net.

Certainly hope to hear from you.

Jaunice York
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyTerms and Conditions