Search for content in message boards

Col. Noah Orr - Civil War Union Soldier (Ohio?)

Col. Noah Orr - Civil War Union Soldier (Ohio?)

L Gladyness (View posts)
Posted: 30 Dec 1999 6:26PM GMT
Looking for information on Col. Noah Orr. I have a picture of him dressed in a Civil War Uniform - on the back states: Age 25, H. 7 ft. 11, Weight 570. The picture was taken by J.M.Hittler Photographer in Marysville, Ohio. If you have any information about this man I would appreciate an e-mail to RUGlad2@aol.com - My grandmother had this in an old photo album. Thank you.

Noah Orr

Sgt. T. Bowersmith (View posts)
Posted: 3 May 2001 6:21PM GMT
As a kid I lived a few blocks from his old home. Noah was known as the Union County Giant. I remember folks telling the story of when he died they used a modified piano crate for a coffin and hauled it to the cemetary via a special freight wagon drawn by draught horses. This was I think 1881.
If you'll do a search for Marysville,Ohio and the Union County Historical Society, you'll find info. I once sat in Noah's big chair in the UNHS museum there in Marysville. They also have a picture of him sitting in that chair with Gen. Tom Thumb sitting on his knee.
7ft. 11 sounds incredible but I always heard he was 8 or 9 ft. tall. But then folks can stretch things a bit.
I was also thinking the uniform was Spanish American war but I could be confusing that with my relatives stuff there.
Good luck,
Sarge
Posted: 13 May 2001 2:02PM GMT
Edited: 25 Oct 2005 9:06PM GMT
Sergeant Bowersmith,

I don't know if we are related, but I had a William Orr in my family. He was born in 1761. I could be related to Noah Orr, but, don't know. My e-mail is AnneRobertAms2@aol.com. I also check familyhistorymessages.com from time to time.

Sincerely,

Anne Maxwell (Edge) Stickles

Re: Col. Noah Orr - Civil War Union Soldier (Ohio?)

Pierre Nadon (View posts)
Posted: 18 May 2004 2:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
I was trying to identefy a photo of a Colonel Orr and a fellow eBayer gave this link.That's the man.
My photo was taken in Baltimore at the studio of D.J.Wilkes,125 West Baltimore Street.
At the time of the photo,Colonel Orr was 36 and a real giant.

Posted: 26 Sep 2010 4:52PM GMT
Surnames: orr, saxton
Noah B. Orr was born 9/19/1836 and died 7/1/1882. He was the son of William Orr and Mary Orr, both weighing over 300 lbs. Noah had two brothers: Abraham and George. After his mother died when he was 4 years old, his father married a second time and they had 7 children: Albert, Oliver, Aaron, Amanda, Mary, Anson and Joshua.
My mother was the granddaughter of Oliver Orr and his second wife, Rosetta (Saxton) Orr making Noah her uncle.

Posted: 23 Jul 2011 9:27PM GMT
Surnames: Orr
Not sure if you are still active on here. But, I live in Marysville, Ohio where Noah Orr lived and died. His old house is now a Union County historical site and Noah Orr is buried at Oakdale Cemetery in Marysville. Lots of info on him at the Union County Historical Society, also located in Marysville, Ohio. A lot of information can also be obtained at the Marysville Public Library. Hope this helps someone.

Re: Col. Noah Orr

Posted: 5 Sep 2011 2:38AM GMT
Noah B. Orr is my Grandmother (Catherine Sulivun)'s Great Grandfather. So he would be my great,great,great grandfather. I have my family tree to prove it.

Re: Col. Noah Orr

Posted: 13 Sep 2012 3:31PM GMT
Noah Orr is indeed my great great grandfather. His Family moved to camden nj after his death. His son Clarence is my Great grand Father, his son Russell is my Grandfather. Many people have claimed to be related to him, but I actually am, and now have two boys who will learn about him. Sorry for any confusion for some of you
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Terms and Conditions