Search for content in message boards

Abraham Southard, 1758-1855, Hanover Cemetery?

Abraham Southard, 1758-1855, Hanover Cemetery?

Lyn Stephenson (View posts)
Posted: 11 Sep 2006 1:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Southard
I live in Virginia, but visited central Ohio in June researching my Southard family line.

I am interested in locating the tombstones for my 3GGPs Abraham Southard, Jr. and his wife, Elizabeth. I am also interested in identifying whom to contact concerning the plat book for the Hanover Cemetery, Hanover Twp, Licking Co, OH in order to request a copy of the page for the Southard family plot.

Based upon a 1971 listing of Hanover Cemetery burials (located at the main public library in Newark, probably one of the Johnstown Genealogy Society listings of Licking Co, OH Cemeteries) my 3rd GGF, Abraham Southard, Jr. (1758-1855, a Revolutionary War Soldier) and his wife, Elizabeth (Hull 1768-1844), are buried in Hanover Cemetery. I also have seen “Ohio Cemetery Records” (Genealogy Publishing, Baltimore, 1984), which lists Abraham Southard, Jr. "Mch.20, 1855, age 96 y. 7 m. (soldier)." and his wife, Elizabeth, as being buried in Hanover Cemetery. Neither the 1971 listing nor the 1984 listing identified where they were buried in the cemetery.

I have never found my 2nd GGF Isaiah (son of Abraham, Jr. and Elizabeth Hull) Southard and his wife Elizabeth “Betty” Parnell listed in any Licking County cemetery listing, so I had assumed they were probably buried in a vanished farm cemetery.

Visiting Hanover Cemetery, I was unable to locate the tombstones of Abraham and Elizabeth Southard. I was able to locate tombstones of other Southards named on the Hanover Cemetery listings. To my surprise, I also located a relatively new large (maybe 8 feet tall) obelisk for his son, Isaiah Southard and Isaiah’s wife, Elizabeth (my 2nd GGPs), located within an old low fence that surrounds an 8-12 person size lot. Curiously the front of the obelisk reads Isaiah Southard/ born Apr. 21, 1801/ died May 19, 1855 followed by a large blank space above large block lettered “SOUTHARD”, while the opposite side reads Isaiah Southard/ born Apr. 21, 1801/ died May 19, 1855 --- Elizabeth Parnell/ wife of I. Southard/ born Feb. 28, 1807/ died Aug 21, 1893 (YES, Isaiah appears on two sides of the obelisk, but Elizabeth on only one). It occurred to me that perhaps the intent was to put the names of Abraham Southard, Jr. and Elizabeth Hull on one side and Isaiah Southard and Elizabeth Parnell on the other, but that certainly did not happen.

Immediately on the highway side of this Southard lot was another relatively new twin marker for Archibald W. Brown and his wife Rebecca Southard (sister of my 2GGF Isaiah). Note that I think that Archibald’s death date on this new stone is incorrect.

I am most curious as to who installed these obviously costly relatively new markers on both the Southard and Brown lots.

Abraham Southard, Jr. is a Revolutionary War Soldier. On the Licking County Genealogical Society website, he is listed under the section entitled “Revolutionary War Soldiers of Licking County”. The information on Abraham Southard, Jr. came from an “Official Roster of Soldiers of American Revolution Buried in State of Ohio”, Vol. II, published 1929. The information provided included his name and year of birth (1758). His date of death and burial location is listed as unknown.

In July, I sent a letter to the trustees of the Hanover Cemetery. An individual in the Hanover Township office had given me the names and addresses of the trustees. The Licking County Genealogical Society had suggested I contact the Hanover Township office. To date, I have not heard back a response from any of the trustees. Are the trustees the correct persons to correspond with for my request? I have also made a number of phone calls to the number available for Hanover Cemetery that I found on the Internet, but have been unsuccessful thus far. I don’t have any information as to their office hours.

Any help or suggestions in locating Abraham Southard, Jr would be much appreciated.

Lyn Stephenson

Milton Southard

Posted: 10 Dec 2010 2:07AM GMT

Milton I. Southard. He was formerly a prominent young lawyer of Zanesville, Ohio, and served his native State for three successive terms in Congress.
In 1881 he removed to New York, and at once took rank as one of the successful lawyers of the city.
He was born at Perryton, Licking County, Ohio, on October 20th, 1836.
He is one of a family of four brothers and one sister (James M., John Q., Anna M., Milton I., and Frank H.), who grew to maturity.
While the father was engaged in the blast-furnace business in early life, and later in agriculture, the four sons embarked in the learned professions-two in medicine, and two in the law-and all of them rose to eminence in their respective fields.
Abraham Southard, the grandfather of Milton I., was born in New Jersey.
He removed to Washington County, Pennsylvania, and there married Elizabeth Hull, daughter of Francis Hull.
In 1805 the grandfather passed on to Licking County, Ohio, accompanied by his wife and several children, among whom was Isaiah Southard, the father of Milton I.
The latter's mother was Elizabeth Parnell, of Irish descent, born in Baltimore, Maryland, and was the daughter of James and Achsah (Stocksdale) Parnell.
Mr. Southard passed through the classical course at Denison University, Granville, Ohio, graduating in the year 1861. He commenced the study of law immediately after his graduation from college, and was admitted to the bar in 1863. He first began to practice his profession at Toledo, Ohio, in partnership with his college classmate, Wm. H. Ingraham.
The first cause, which he was called upon to try, was a small damage suit against a railroad company, and the Hon. M. R. Waite was opposed to him as counsel for the company. The young lawyer gained his cause, and for his clever effort received the hearty congratulations of his distinguished opponent.
A few years later the two gentlemen met often at Washington City-the one as a representative in Congress, the other as chief justice of the highest court of the land.
In 1866 he removed to Zanesville, Ohio, and formed a law partnership with his brother, Frank H. Southard.
In 1867, Mr. Southard was elected prosecuting attorney for the county (Muskingum), and was re-elected to the office for a second and third term. In 1872 Mr. Southard was elected to the 43d Congress from the Zanesville district. He was re-nominated by acclamation, and elected to the 44th Congress. In 1876 he was elected to the 45th Congress.
In 1876 Mr. Southard was married to Miss Virginia Hamilton, daughter of Hon. Robert and Sarah A. (Edsall) Hamilton, of Newton, New Jersey. She is of Scotch-Irish descent on her father's side, and English through her mother.
Her father was a lawyer by profession, and he served as speaker of the Assembly of New Jersey, and as a representative in the 43d and 44th Congresses from that State. Her paternal grandfather, Hon. Benjamin Hamilton, was a representative in Congress from New Jersey from 1845 to 1849.
Mr. and Mrs. Southard have one son, Robert H. Southard. On his removal to New York, Mr. Southard formed a law partnership with General Thomas Ewing

Re: Milton Southard

Posted: 26 Jan 2011 1:06AM GMT
Thanks for the detailed information on Milton I. Southard. He is my 2nd great uncle. His brother, Dr. John Q. Southard, is my ggf.

Shirley Cass Amos

Posted: 12 Jul 2012 11:17AM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Edited: 12 Jul 2012 11:19AM GMT
Surnames: Southard
Mrs. Shirley Ann Amos, age 83, of Heath, Ohio passed away Tuesday, July 3, 2012 at her home.
She was born March 1, 1929 in Newark, Ohio to the late Ralph W. and Lillian A. (Southard) Cass.

Mrs. Amos was a 1947 graduate of Newark High School.
She was employed with Ohio Power for several years.
She was the secretary/treasurer of the American Junior Bowling Association.
A lifetime member of Second Baptist Church, Mrs. Amos was very active with the church and had been a Deaconess, Chairwoman of the Christian Board of Education, Church Treasurer for 35 years and had been a youth group advisor and helped with Vacation Bible School.
Mrs. Amos was an avid fan of all Ohio sports.

She is survived by a sister, Martha G. Axline of Newark, OH; sister-in-law, Ella May Canale of Newark; nieces and nephews.

In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by her husband of 59 years, Ellis Ivan Amos, on November 26, 2008; and by a brother, Don E. Cass.

Funeral service will be held at 11:00 a.m. on Friday, July 13, 2012 at Second Baptist Church, 19 West National Drive, Newark, OHIO . Friends may call from 9:30-11:00 a.m. prior to the service.
Burial will take place in Cedar Hill Cemetery, Newark, Ohio.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to Second Baptist Church, PO Box 4847, Newark, OH 43058-4847.

The Newark Chapel of Henderson-Van Atta-Stickle Funeral & Cremation Service is assisting Shirley's church family with arrangements.

Please visit www.hendersonvanatta.com to view a memorial and to leave a message of condolence.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Terms and Conditions