Search for content in message boards

ROWSEY

ROWSEY

Linda Nibert (View posts)
Posted: 23 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
We have begun a family search which has led us to Rappahanock County VA. This is what we know so far:
James Rowsey born in 1735, married to Elizabeth Head, daughter of Alexander Spence Head and Sara Head.
They had four children Archelaus,Leonard, Patsy and Dicey Rowsey.
Can any one give us dates back further than this.
Thanks

Rowsey article in "Forkland Heritage"

Posted: 12 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 5 Oct 2001 11:04AM GMT
Surnames: Rowsey, Rousey, Goode, Lair, Lain, Lane
I found your James Rowsey & Elizabeth Spencehead in an article about the Rousey family of Casey County Kentucky in Forkland Heritage Its People Past and Present 1703-1996, volume 1, pages 167-168. The information was submitted by Patrick Rousey.

"Rousey. The Rousey's are of English descent. According to marriage records in Canterbury England, on September 19, 1626, Lodowick Rowzie, Doctor of Physics of Ashford, married Sarah Catlett, widow of Joh Catlett of Sittingbourne. In 1650, three of Lodowick and Sarah's children , Ralph, Edward and Sarah and John Catlett, Jr. came to Virginia ... In the middle 1700's the Rowzies started moving westward. James Rowsey (spelling of name changed) moved to Amhurst County, Va. at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. James and Elizabeth Spencehead had four children; Leonard, Archelaus, Patsey and Dicey. ..." [The rest of the article is about the descendants of Leonard Rowsey and Elizabeth Camden Goode of Lincoln County Kentucky.]

I'm looking for information about Sally Rowsey (daughter of Leonard and Elizabeth Goode Rowsey) who married 16 September 1813 in Lincoln County Kentucky to Joshua Lair or Lain. Do you have any information about Sally Rowsey?

Would you like a copy of the Forkland Heritage article?
Sherry
sherryb@easystreet.com
Posted: 26 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 12:40AM GMT
Surnames: Rowsey
Thomas Jefferson (Jeff) Rowsey, my great-great grandfather was from Amherst Co., VA. Born ca. 1808. His son, Lafayette was my great grandfather. I have no other information on ancestors. Was he from James' line? Which son? This is the first I have seen a query about Rowseys in Amherst Co. I hope it's the same line as I have been searching for years to no avail!!

Rowsey's in Virginia or WV

Melanie Rowsey (View posts)
Posted: 4 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Rowsey
I am looking for info. on Rowsey's in Virginia or West Virginia. James Robert Rowsey b.1857 d.? If you can give me info. I would be very grateful.

Re: Rowsey's in Virginia or WV

Lauren (View posts)
Posted: 28 Aug 2001 10:34PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
hello i'm Lauren and i'm a Rowsey...i am trying to learn some more about my background so if you would please write me back..i would be more than happy to talk with you

Re: Rowsey

Pamela Steele (View posts)
Posted: 9 Nov 2001 8:31PM GMT
I too am related to the Rowsey's from Amherst/Roockbridge Co., Va. Your Lafayette is listed in the Rootsweb searches as being married on Nov. 8 1860 to Margaret Ann Hostetter.
He was 26, she was 20. This marriage took place in Rockbridge Co., Va. His parents were Henry K. Rowsey and Jane Rowsey. Her parents were Andrew Hostetter and Polly
Hostetter. John H. Harris officiated in Rockbridge. Layfayette was also in the Confederate Army, 4th Va. Vol., Co. I, also known asa the Liberty Hall Volunteers. They were also a part of the " Stonewall Brigade." Many of our Rowsey/Rousey's fought in the Confederate Army. The BIAS/ROWSEY's married into the same families over and over again, making us all double cousins....

Hope this helps.

Pam

Posted: 11 Nov 2001 10:17PM GMT
Edited: 1 Jan 2003 4:15AM GMT
Pamela,

Your Lafayette and my Lafayette were cousins. Your Lafayette's father was Henry K, his father was James, and his father was Archaleus. My Lafayette's father was Thomas Jefferson Rowsey brother of James, and his father was Archaleus. My Lafayette married Willie Ann Stinnett in 1872. Their son Clarence was my grandfather.

Hope this helps your search.

Pat

Jim White (View posts)
Posted: 3 Feb 2003 5:42PM GMT

Kathy Elaine Clark-Tilson (View posts)
Posted: 1 Aug 2003 10:59PM GMT
Surnames: Rowsey, Curry, Peyton, Stinnett, Tyler, Bias, plus....
Pat, I hope you are still on line. Want to 'talk' to you about Thomas Jefferson Rowsey. I descend from his son James Leonard Rowsey through the first wife of T.J. Have some questions about his death date and burial.
Contact me by response or by email, kathy@katsoft.com
TJ Rowsey was my GGG Grandfather.
Thanks.

eve cleveland garland (View posts)
Posted: 28 Nov 2006 3:29PM GMT
I understand there is a rowzee connection to the clevelands in about 1640. If you have any information on this rowzee that was married to roger cleveland from lichester, england please contact me. thank you . eve
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Terms and Conditions