Search for content in message boards

Mannings-McKees In Coffee County

Mannings-McKees In Coffee County

Linda Jordan (View posts)
Posted: 7 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Manning, McKee, Phillips
My mother, Essie Lee Manning, was born in Kinston on May 15, 1926. Her father was Omer Eugene MANNING & her mother was Liller MCKEE MANNING. Omer MANNING is the son of John MANNING & Martha- no more info on her. Liller MCKEE is the daughter of Andrew MCKEE & Martha PHILLIPS. If anyone has any info on any of these people, I would greatly appreciate you sharing it with me. Thanks, Linda Jordan
Posted: 17 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 11 Feb 2002 11:38PM GMT
Surnames: Manning, Huggins, Jackson, Seay, Coker, Deason
I am related to a family of Mannings, who were in Butler(Millville) 1840; in Pike by 1850 at Milo. One of the Mannings, Wade Hampton Manning b. 1842 in Millville,Butler d.
1924 n Coffee county.
Wade was a brother to my James Lorenzo Manning b. 1837.He m. Nancy Ann Jackson dgtr. of John T.Jackson b. 1805 SC  and Nancy Huggins Jackson b. 1802.
About 1883, they moved to Holmes County Fl, first to Ponce de
Leon and later to Westville.
Both my James Lorenzo Manning and Wade Hampton Manning were sons of Wm. Hampton Manning b. 1800 in NC. and Nancy Deason b. 1825; we have been searching for many years to learn the father & mother of Wm. Hampton Manning.(not the judge whose initials were the same).
Are any of these names familiar to you?
Mary E Sandel

JOHN J MANNING

Posted: 23 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 11 Feb 2002 11:38PM GMT
Surnames: Manning, Jackson, Coker, Seay, Huggins
Linda:
I believe your John J Manning is in my Manning family. Wm.Hampton Manning was in the 1850 Pike Al. Census,he 50
wife Nancy Denson age 30; he died c 1855 and left many young children, his estate was administered over many years.
There is a John Jackson Manning in his family and in his estate papers Box 24 Pike Co.Al...Harriet was born in 1848 and your John was not born at the time of the 1850 Pike Al census. Clary Lucinda was born after Harriet and then John J. I put out a Manning book years ago, with all the Mannings I could find, trying to learn the name of the father of Wm.Hampton Manning b. 1800 NC,John J's father...I still don't know, but that is why I have all this census material. Your John J age 47 is in 1900 Pike, Fmly 48, Springhill,(below Troy); I show him with a wife named Catherine and 2 children Nancy J. b. 1883 and Omer E 1888.Wm.H(Hampton) Manning was in 1830,1840 Butler(Millville) but by 1850, Pike at Milo.   John J. was a brother to my James Lorenzo Manning ,who was b. 1837(next to the oldest in the family & a Civil War soldier). Children listed in Wm.Hampton Manning family: Wm.Henry(Civil War Soldier),James Lorenzo(Civil War), Elizabeth, Nancy E.,Wade Hampton, Eliza, Frances Lavonia, Harriet M, Clary Lucinda, and John Jackson Manning.
Mary E Sandel

Re: JOHN J MANNING

Posted: 7 Sep 2001 2:38PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jul 2002 8:04PM GMT
Surnames: Manning
I have a John Jackson Manning who is my great great Grandfather. He married in Wilcox County, Ala 1847 died Jan 1865 wife Eminetus Colieer. Died in Union prison in Ill. If this your Mannings contact me.

Juanita

Re: Mannings

Leesa Lee (View posts)
Posted: 7 Sep 2001 3:52PM GMT
My Great Grandfather was James Lorenzo Manning. my grandfather was his son, Willard Lee Manning. We are from Ponce de Leon. Willard had 3 sons, Wilbert Noel, Wayne Oliver and Wilton Baker Manning, and one daughter, Velora Vernell Manning Withers. Wilbert Noel is buried beside his father in the old Ponce de Leon cemetary, behind First Baptist. My father was Wilton Baker Manning, and he is also buried there. Wayne lives in Mims, Fl and Velora in Texas. I am seeking info on my familly, also. We attended a family reunion in the 1970s at a lake, somewhere in Coffee County, I think. Does this sound familiar? I don't know anything about James Lorenzo's parents or siblings, so any info would be appreciated. I have a copy of an audio tape about the history of Ponce de Leon, made by Mr. Lance Hughes, where he speaks of James Lorenzo and his railroad crew. This is also in the State ARchives.

leesa (View posts)
Posted: 7 Sep 2001 3:53PM GMT
We have a step cousin, James Best, who may have the information you seek. I will try to contact him

Posted: 20 Aug 2002 8:23AM GMT
the John J. Manning that married Catherine and had children Nancy J and Omer E.
is John J. Manning and Elizabeth Catherine "Katie" McDonald.
Nancy Jane Manning b. Mar. 19,1883 d. Mar. 27,1951 married Henry Columbus Scarborough in 1902
they had 4 children one of which is my grandfather William Henry Scarbrough.
i just learned recently about her brother Omer, all i know is he had a lot of children one by the name of Wade.
i have most all the descendants of Nancy Jane and Henry Columbus Scarborough if you would like them or their information. thank you.

Posted: 20 Jan 2007 6:04AM GMT
Surnames: Scarbrough
Theresa, This is Bobby Scarbrough Jr.
Dad said you have a lot of information. I keep running into rabbit trails when I get into the 1800s. can you steer me in the right direction? Thanks

Re: Mannings-McKees In Coffee County

Posted: 3 Mar 2007 9:36PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Hello Linda,
I am Charles Willis, youngest of the Ruth (McKee) Willis family.
My mother and your g-mother were sisters. I was born in Kinston in 1929, l do remember your mother.
I am researching Martha Phillips to determine the family extension. It's difficult since marriage records list her as Martha Jane and Covington county death cert. list her as Martha E.If you have any data, please provide.
It's nice to make your acquaintance, cousin. I look forward to your reply. Charlie

Posted: 30 Mar 2011 1:49AM GMT
Surnames: withers
Hi Leesa I am Michelle Withers Grandaughter of Velora Manning Withers, who is the daughter of Willard Lee Manning . I too am searching for family hoping to put together a family tree for our relatives. Have you had any luck in your search. I have found a few trees here online that me help you too. Michelle
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Terms and Conditions