Search for content in message boards

17th & 18th C. Dutch & Brit Ancestors

Posted: 7 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Jun 2001 10:57PM GMT
Surnames: Hatfield, Van Norden, Lyon, Westervelt, Winans, Ogden, Littel, Melyn, Earle
I have to post this message again, because Rjmsimon@aol.com is needed. It didn't show in the message, as it does in email. Will be happy to exchange info. My Dutch ancestors and their British interconnected families left USA after the American Revolution and went to Nova Scotia, Canada as Loyalists. Gabriel Van Norden was in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1794. He came first from New Jersey, then New York City, and then to Nova Scotia. Please write to me at Rjmsimon@aol.com, and we'll try to help each other. Jean Simon, Huntsville, Alabama.

Posted: 7 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Hatfield, Van Norden, Lyon, Westervelt, Winans, Ogden, Littel, Melyn, Earle
Will be glad to exchange info. My Dutch ancestors left USA after the American Revolution and went to Nova Scotia as Loyalists. Love to hear from you. Jean Simon, Huntsville, Alabama

Westervelt & Lyon Ancestors

Posted: 4 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Westervelt, Lyon, Hatfield, Van Norden, Winans, Marsh, Ogden, Littel, Melyn, Earle, Losier or LeSueur, LeSueur or Losier, Ackerman, Van Voorhees, Ver Planck, Slote or Sloat, Sloat or Slote, Piersen, Van Winckle
Hello, Roger Green. I was notified by the list owner's instructions to the computer that you had answered my 7 April 1999 posting to the Passaic County, New Jersey list about my Westervelt and Lyon ancestors. I am grateful that it is set up that way; otherwise, I never would have known. I'd love any info you have on the Lyons and Westervelts. My paternal gm's paternal gm's mother was Jane Westervelt born 20 Feb 1741, wife of Gabriel Van Norden born 25 Oct 1737. They md. 17 May 1757. Their daughter Mary Van Norden born 13 Feb 1772 md. Jacob Lyon Hatfield born 9 Dec 1757. Latter's parents were Jacob Hatfield born ca. 1730-2, immigrant from New Jersey in 1783 to Shelburne, Nova Scotia, and in 1785 to Tusket, Yarmouth Co., N. S.; and Mary Lyon of Staten Island md. April 1753 in Elizabethtown, now Elizabeth, New Jersey by Rev. Thomas Bradburt Chandler. Mary Lyon was born ca. 1730, and was of Essex County, New Jersey. I am not too sure who Mary Lyon's parents were, but they might have been Joseph Lyon & Rebecca Littel, according to p. 29 of my big thick hardover book on the Hatfield Genealogy. I think her brother may have married another Lyon, and Joseph and Rebecca were the girl's parents. The parents of Jane Westervelt were Stephen Westervelt and Helligont Ackerman. Stephen's parents may have been Jurrien Westervelt and maybe Cornelia Albertse Van Voorhees. I hope you can tell me for sure who Jane's parents were and their lineage. Helligont Ackerman's parents were Johannes Ackerman and Jannetje Losier. Johannes' parents were David Ackerman and Hillegond Verplanck. David's parents were the older David Ackerman and Lysbeth DeVilliers or Elizabeth Bellier. Hillegond Ver Planck's parents were Marie Vigne or Vinge and either Isaacz Ver Planck or Abram Abraham Isaacse, depending upon which source you choose. Jannetje Losier, wife of Johannes Ackerman, was the daughter of Nicholas Losier and Tryntie (Catherine) Slote. Nicholas's parents were Francois LeSueur (changed to Losier) and Jannetje Hillebrants Pietersen. Tryntie's parents were Pieter Jansen Sloat and Mariette Jacobse Van Winckle. Please give me your info, Roger, on the Westervelts and Lyons, and their allied families. You can write to me here, for all to see, and also to me at Rjmsimon@aol.com

westervelt/lyon descendent

roger gren (View posts)
Surnames: westervelt
I have westervelt family tree back to 1500's in holland. I have very little information on the Lyon family beyond Charles Lyon/martha Ann Coolidge marriage in Niles, Berrien County, Mich. 1/31/1851. Maybe we can fill in some blanks for each other.

roger green

westervelt/lyon descendent

Roger Green (View posts)
Surnames: westervelt
I inherited a bound book of the Westervelt family publishrd in 1905. It goes back to Holland in the 1500's. I have very little info on Charles Lyon before his mariage to martha Ann Coolidge in Niles, Berrien co., mich on 1/31/1851. Their dau. married the son of Angeline Leroy westervelt Cross. Maybe we can fill in some blanks for each other.

Roger Green

Westervelt/Van Cott

Catherine Van Cott (View posts)
Posted: 28 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Westervelt, Van Cott
Mr. Green -- by any chance would your Westervelt book mention a Jane Westervelt, b. abt 1810 ??? -- (md 1st) Daniel Van Cott, who died 3 April 1833 at sea while on board The Neptune -- he left one son, a 2 yr old toddler and a widow. Don't know if she re-married. Van Cott family was from NY and NYC and Long Island -- this branch of the family 'removed' themselves to New Jersey -- Bloomfield, Morristown, Paterson. Thanks for checking.

Re: westervelt/lyon descendent

Posted: 15 Aug 2008 4:12AM GMT
Surnames: Phoebe Westervelt,John Westervelt, Lena Kierstead
Do you have anything about Phoebe Westervelt, West Eaton, NY and Titusville, FL, in your book? Her father was John Westervelt and her mother was Lena Kierstead. Thank you.

John Cornelius WESTERVELT = Ellen KIERSTEAD

Posted: 16 Oct 2009 5:04PM GMT
John might be from NYC and Ellen might be from NJ.
He born c1811 and died 1873 in Essex, MI.
She born c1816 and died 1872 in Essex, MI.

The name Cornelius runs through their descendants.
Including son Cornelius Peter WESTERVELT = Barbara CASTRO (sp). Who moved to Sacramento, CA in late 1870s.

And grandson Cornelius Joseph WESTERVELT = Mary Virginia VAN BUREN.

Cannot find parents of John Cornelius WESTERVELT.
Or place and exact date of birth.

Ken G.

Re: westervelt/lyon descendent

Posted: 26 Feb 2012 3:32AM GMT
Surnames: Westervelt, Tracy, Vanhorn
Mr. Green could you tell me if your book includes John Vanhorn Westervelt born 1830 in New York who married Ellen Marie Tracy in about 1849? Or---Abraham Westervelt born 1787 who married Marie Vanhorn?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyTerms and Conditions