Search for content in message boards

Copley - Selby, Hull, Nottingham

Copley - Selby, Hull, Nottingham

Posted: 25 Apr 2004 3:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Copley
Anyone researching the name 'Copley' in Yorkshire or Notts. please get in touch. My gg grandfather Robert Owen Copley was born in Selby, moved to Sculcoates in Hull and his son Joseph married in Hull then moved to Nottingham in the late 19th C. Anyone with any info please get in touch.
Thanks, Annette

Re: Copley - Selby, Hull, Nottingham

Posted: 13 Feb 2005 8:49PM GMT
Surnames: Copley
Hi Annette

My 3 x ggrandfather Henry Barrett married Ann Copley in Hull in 1838. Ann b 1814 was the daughter of Christopher Copley and Sarah Cox of Castleford.She was born in Castleford also and I have no idea when/why the family came to Hull. Christopher was a waterman and he and Sarah only had the one child. Could there be any connection? Trouble is, there were Copleys in Wakefield, Pontefract and also in Wortley, Leeds. Do you think there may be any connection?

Regards

Jackie

Annette (View posts)
Posted: 15 Feb 2005 12:10PM GMT
Jackie
We have been in contact before through Genes Reunited and unfortunately I don't think there's a link. There seem to be endless Copleys in Yorkshire and I am having trouble finding anyone related to my family. William and Martha had their siblings in Selby but then they all seemed to move across to Hull (probably for work). Eventually Joseph my g grandfather moved to Nottingham and appears to be the only Copley family in the city! If I can find a link I'll let you know!
Regards
Annette

Posted: 26 Jan 2009 12:17PM GMT
Hi Annette

I am researching the family tree for a John Butcher who is the grandson of Joseph Copley b. 1856 son of Robert Owen Copley and Mary Jane Radge.

Could you contact me please on rosnarty@aol.com so that we can compare information.

Arthur Hodge

Posted: 15 Feb 2011 9:01AM GMT
I am trying to get information about the ancestors of a Herbert Copley,the father of my maternal aunt.
Herbert would have been born in the late 19th Century (contemporaneous with the time of Joseph's marriage and move to Notts.).
He was a resident of Nottingham, and may have been born there.
He married Annie Maud Withnell and they had 2 children, Sydney and Irene. He worked at the Victoria Railway Station Telegraph Office, and after a period of ill health, he died in 1940.
I had come across the names of Robert and Joseph before but have been unable to say if there is a link to my family.
I was wondering if Herbert may perhaps have been the son of Joseph. Do you have any information on this?
Would much appreciate hearing from you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Terms and Conditions