Search for content in message boards

Angus McDOUGALL (1794 - ) and Alice McMILLAN

Angus McDOUGALL (1794 - ) and Alice McMILLAN

Posted: 11 Oct 2008 10:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Oct 2008 11:20AM GMT
Surnames: McDougall, McMillan
Angus McDougall and his wife Alice McMillan emigrated for Kintyre in Argyllshire, Scotland to Westminster Township, Middlesex County.

The couple had at least seven children: James b 1822; Angus 1824; Isabella 1825; Margaret 1827; John 1830; Alice 1833 and Duncan 1837. Duncan was born in Canada; the others were born in Argyll.

In 1851 Angus and Alice were living in Westminster Township with their three youngest children.

Is anyone researching this family? I'd be delighted to share information about their McDougall ancestry.

Sarah Galbraith

Re: Angus McDOUGALL (1794 - ) and Alice McMILLAN

Posted: 26 Sep 2010 9:44AM GMT
Angus and Alice, together with a daughter named Alice, appear to be buried in a cemetery in Pond Mills, London, Middlesex, according to the Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid.

Is anyone able to tell me the inscription on this stone?

With thanks and regards

Sarah

Posted: 26 Sep 2010 12:42PM GMT
Hi Sarah,

Pond Mills Cemetery is one that I photographed several years ago for the Canada GenWeb Cemetery Project. Photographs of all the McDougall headstones can be found here:

http://cemetery.canadagenweb.org/ON/ONP12706/index4.html

Just based on the time frame you suggest (b. 1794), these may not be your McDougalls. The inscription for Alice and Alice reads:

Alice, wife of Angus McDougall died Nov 13, 1853
Their daughter Alice died March 11, 1855

There is an Angus McDougall here which, based on the dates and the style of the stone, could either go with Alice or with another woman, Margaret McDougall, who was married to an Angus McDougall. This stone reads:

In memory of Angus McDougall died Oct. 27, 1895 ae 70 Ys

The other McDougall children on other stones all appear to come from the union between Angus and Margaret, and the birth year for one of the children overlaps with Alice's life. Two scenarios:

1. Alice and Alice are the wife and daughter of Angus McDougall Sr. (whose stone is either not present or not legible) and the other Angus is their son (or not related at all) or
2. There is only one Angus McDougall here. Margaret could be a second wife to Angus, married after Alice died, if the daughter Isabella was born to Alice but raised by Margaret (and considered Margaret to be her mother).

I'm sorry to make this confusing... if you like, I can go back and see exactly which woman appears on the stone with Angus (or if both of them do). Good luck sorting these McDougalls out!

Alison

Posted: 28 Sep 2010 5:02PM GMT
Edited: 28 Sep 2010 11:16PM GMT
Alison

First of all, I must thank you very much indeed for the amazing job you have done in photographing and indexing the stones, and in making the images available to all. It is a wonderful resource.

I've been digging around on the web-site, and I've started to put together the family structure, greatly helped by your images, census records and Ontario Vital Records. (Some of the related surnames are attached to this message.)

I'm very interested to exchange information with others researching this family.

With thanks again and best regards

Sarah
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Terms and Conditions