Search for content in message boards

Immigrant Henry Slade, Va, 1693 and Hannah Loveridge

Immigrant Henry Slade, Va, 1693 and Hannah Loveridge

Posted: 19 Jan 2005 9:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Slade, Loveridge
In doing research into locating the immigrant ancestor of the Eastern NC Slades I have located the following"

In 1678 (possibly 1648 , VA Pioneers and Cavaliers) HENRY SLAD ( 23 others) is a headright of a Richard Lee, Gent. Then in 29th of April, 1693 there is an entry in Princess Anne County for three hundred and thirty acres of land on the Northeast side of the Northwest River for transportation of seven persons, signed Sr. Edmond Andreas, Governor. The seven headrights are listed. But life got better for Henry. On the same day he received 1078 acres, high land and low for the transportation of 22 persons.
"Being his seated plantation in Curotuck precints upon the lower Indian Creek of the Northwest River in the county of Norfolk". Seated plantation means he had been living on it and had developed it to some extent.So he had been there for some time. Again the transported are listed. This land, I believe, is now a county park. It fronts on a broad beautiful river and is a combination of high land and swamp. Eventually, I found a will where he gives this land to his son, stating that the son, Henry, is in North Carolina. Thus tying in this Henry Slade to the Eastern North Carolina Slades.

My question is now "who is Hannah Loveridge and where can the proof of a connection to Henry be found. Also which Henry? There are several early Henry Slades' in this area. Rmemeber, "genealogy not documented is only gossip over the fence."

Re: Immigrant Henry Slade, Va, 1693 and Hannah Loveridge

Ken (View posts)
Posted: 13 Apr 2005 2:38PM GMT
Pat,

I have some information that may be of interest to you regarding the connection between Hannah Loveridge, daughter of William Loveridge, and Henry Slade who settled in North Carolina.

William Loveridge came to America from England (maybe Wool, Dorset) around the 1660s and settled in the area along the Catskill Mountains in what is now Green Co. NY. He was a hatter by trade. William purchased a large tract of land from the local Indians. William’s title to the land was confirmed in February 1686/87 when he was granted a patent to the land by New York colonial Governor Dongan.

According to the will of William Loveridge, his wife’s name was Temperance and their children were:
1. William Loveridge, Jr. - eldest son (married Margriet Du Mont or duMond)
2. Hannah Loveridge - eldest daughter (married Henry Slade of Carolina)
3. Samuel Loveridge
4. Temperance Loveridge - married Isaac Molyn
5. Sarah Loveridge - married John Ward

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

William Loveridge, Jr. had a daughter named Temperance. She married William Van Orden. Below is a link to the Van Orden Family Papers that makes the connection between Loveridge and Slade of Carolina.

http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/msscfa/sc16906.htm

2 Van Orden Family Papers

Documents relating to William Loveridge, grandfather of Temperance Loveridge, the wife of William Van Orden

Loveridge, William. Will, January 6, 1683/4; copy made May 20, 1700. Heirs: wife, Temperance; sons, William (eldest) and Samuel; daughters, Hannah (eldest), the wife of Henry Slade in Carolina, Temperance, wife of Isaac Molyn at New York, and Sarah (youngest), wife of John Warde at Esopus. Executors: wife and son, William. William received the Loveridge Patent, Samuel and the three sisters the Camp lands at Catskill.

New York (Colony). Governor (Dongan). Patent to William Loveridge, deceased, his heirs and assigns for land at the Great Imboght below Catskill; February 8, 1686/7. (Confirming an existing title)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is a link to the DuMond family history that claims that the Loveridge family came from Wool, Dorset in England.

http://dumondfamilyny.tripod.com/dumondfamilydescendantsofwa...

2. Margriet duMond (Walran (Walraven) du Mont2, Petrus Jean Du Mont1) was born 1664 in Kingston, Ulster County, New York (first known as Wildwijk and Esopus), and died 1703 in Perth Amboy, Midlesex County, New Jersey. She married William Loveredge 18 OCT 1682 in Kingston, Ulster County, New York (first known as Wildwijk and Esopus). He was born in Wool, County of Dorset, England, and died in Ulster County, New York.

Below is a link to William Loveridge research on Rootsweb:

http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?o...

I believe that I am descended from Henry Slade of Hyde Co. NC. I am having difficulty determining the children of Henry from his will and the will of his son, Henry. I believe the Henry, Sr. was married to Hannah Loveridge and the wife of Henry, Jr. was named Abigail. I am interested in what you think.

I have done a lot of research on the Slades who came to NC in the 1660s. You may have all of this, but I will paste below what I have on the earliest years.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Ken Slade (Weatherford, TX)

Early Slade Records

1 May 1668:
__emarle. Ss: Willm. Earle of Craven Palatine and the rest of the true and absolute Lds.
Proprietos. of all Carolina to all to whom these presents. shall come Greeting in our Lord God
everlasting Know ye. that we the sd. Lds. and absolute Proprietors according to our great deed of
Grant bearing date ye. first day of May Ano. Dm. 1668 Given to our County of Albemarle under our
hands and great Seal of our said County Doe hereby Give and grant unto Mr. John West of our sd.
County a tract of land containing Six hundred acres lying in Pasquot. Prect. Begining at a Locus
Standing on the banks of ye. Sound thenc North Seventeen degrs. East three hundred and Ninety?
pole to a Gum then West thirteen degrs. North two hundred and fifty pole to an Hickory then South
Seventeen degrs. west three hundred and Ninty pole to a Pine on the bank of Little River then down
the River and the Sound by various courses to ye. first station the said land being due to ye.
said Jno. West for ye. transportacon of one Pson. for every fifty acres heryby granted as appeares
upon Record under this Patent To have and to hold ye. said land wth. all rights and priviliges of
hunting hawkingfishing fowling wth. all Woods Waters and rivers wth. all profitts comoditys and
heriditamts. to ye. same belonging or apptaining except on halfe of all Gold and Silver Mines unto
him ye. said Jno. West his heirs and assignes for ever in as alarge and ample maner to all Intents
and purposes as by ye. said Deed is granted of Intended yeilding and paying unto us our heires and
successors yearly every twenty Ninth day of September ye. fee rent of one Shilling for every fifty
acres hereby granted to be holden of us our heires and successors in free and comon Soccage
Provided yt. if ye. said Jno. West his heires or assignes doe not seat or plant cause to be seated
or planted theron Within three yeares after the date herof then this Patent be void otherwise to
stand and be of full force. Given under ye. seal of our sd. County of Albemarle ye. first day of
January Ano. Dm. 1694. Witnes our trusty and well beloved Philip Ludwell Esqr. Governor and Capt.
Genril. of our said province and our trusty and welbeloved Councellors who have here_ sett their
hands. Philip Ludwell, Thomas Harvey, Danl. Akehurst, Ffrancis Tomes. Thomas Pollock.
The Psons. Imported are Winifred West, Jno. Wade, Peter Quon?, Caesar negro, Henry Slate, Wm.
Loverige, Elizabeth Bolt, Geo: Kemp, Jno. Browne.
Source: Old Albemarle Co. NC Book of Land Warrants and Surveys 1681-1706

7 Sep 1669:
Albemarl. These are in ye. Names of ye. honrble ye. Lords proprietos. to will and require you to
Survey & lay out for Henry Slade Sixty acres of Land which is due to him for ye. transportacon of
one pson whose name is herunder and make returne of this Warrt. wth. ye. Survey to ye. Secret.
office fail not as you will answer ye. Contrary given under our hand & ye. Seal of ye. Collony ye.
7th. day of Septembr. 1669. Saml. Stephens, James Blount, Jno. Jenkins, Rich FFoster, Jno.
Harvey, Henry Slade. To ye. Surveyr. Genrll. or his deputy
I, Henry Slade doe assigne all my right & title of these rights wth:in specifyed unto George
Harris as witnes my hand this 16th. of March 1693/94 Henry Slade.
These may certify all whom it may concern that Henry Slade proved five rights whose names are upon
Record & are under written Wm. Loverige Sen., Temporance his Wife, Wm. Loverige, Jur., Hanah
Loverige, Jacob Carver. Certifyed ye. 17th. day of March 1693. Assigned over to George Harris by
Henry Slade. P: Edw. Mayo Clrk.

15 Mar 1693:
These may certify all whom it may condern yt. Henry Slade has proved Twelve Rights whose names are
upon Record and are hereunder written Namely Jno. Daws, An Indian named Nak? one named Sue, Tony a
Negroe, Sarah, Mol, Jack & Sarah, Jno. Slade, Joseph Slade, Benj. Slade, Saml. Slade, Hannah
Slade, Wm. Slade. Certifyed ye. 15th. of March 1693. P: Edw. Mayo C_. Regstd. & Wart. given ye.
16th. of March 1693. Wm. Glovr.

3 Oct 1671:
William Hancock 700 acres on Lynnhaven Parrish in Lower Norfolk County on the Northerne Side of
the Easterne Branch of Elizabeth River and bounded on the southerne parts therewith and on the
south Easterne side of a Creeke called Hoskins Cr. pting this land from the land of Mr. Wm.
Moseley beginning at a mkd cedar standing by the side of the said Easterne Branch and from thence
running by a line drawne NNE 202 po & then WNW 400 po & then SSW 80 po & then ESE 104 po & then
SSW 142 po and then WNW 160 po unto the Creeke called Hoskins Creeke and then downe the South
Easterne side of sd Creeke unto its mouth at the Easterne Branch and then South Eastwood runing up
the sd Esterne branch unto the Cedar where it began and 100 acres pt hereof was formerly granted
to Geo. ffowler by pattent dated 6 Nov 1663 and by sd. fflowler sold and assigned to the sd WM.
Hancock and the other 600 acres is due for trans of 12 persons: Mary & Henry Slade, Charles Baker,
Eliz. Vouse, Jno. Ree, Jno. Quelcy, Jayne Joflin (or Joslin), Charles Regarall, Wm. Richardson,
Jno. Cooke, Barth. Shoae, Teage at (or et) Dovell. (Nugent 539 Nov 1663)
Source: Virginia Land Patents of the Countys of Norfolk, etc.

Note: It is my understanding of the Headright System that people were awarded so many acres of
land for every person they would transport to Virginia. Does this mean that an arrangement was
made for Henry Slade to come to Virginia as early as 1671? I believe this is our Henry, because
this land is in the general area of Norfolk county land that Henry Slade would later own. Who is
the Mary Slade? Could it be that Henry and Mary Slade are children of Henry Slade. Sr. and Hannah Loveridge?

From North Carolina Historical and Genealogical Register:
Henry Slade was in Currituck. 17th June, 1677.

29 Apr. 1693:
Henry Slade, Senr., 1078 acrs., being his seated plantation; Norf. Co., in Currotucke Precincts;
upon the lower Indian Cr. of the Northwest River, 29 Apr. 1693, p. 311. Beg. neare Black Water
roade; along SE side of sd. Creek to the mouth; to Mossy point; by path to Hector's Damms; to
mouth of Cyprus Br; &c. Imp. of 22 pers: Henry Avery, Will. Burett, Wm. Rundell, Evan Rundell, Wm.
Price, Mary Wheeler, Robert Paine, Thomas Hubert, Susana White, Mary James, Lewis Servant, Hester
Hardiman, Isaac Showard, William Mosse, Peter Proby, 4 times; Hanah, Mariah, Peter, Indians;
Francis, a Negro.
Source: Cavaliers and Pioneers, Vol. 2, Part 2, Patent Book 8, page 385

Note: Looks like our Henry Slade, Sr. is now being granted a headright for bringing people to
Virigina. I know this is our Henry. Notice that the land is near Indian Creek which is mentioned
in the will of Henry Slade, Jr. 1718..."Eldest Son William: I give my plantation in Virginia lying
on the head of lower Indian Creek joining to the land of James Warden in the County of Norfolk
with all its...". It is my hunch that the 22 persons mentioned in the headright are coming from
Barbados. Notice a few are Indians and one is a Negro. I know that in the late 1600s, there was a
Barbados/North Carolina connection.

29 Apr. 1693:
Henry Slade, 330 acrs., Pr. Anne Co; on NE side of the Northwest River; 29 apr. 1693, p. 306. Imp.
of 7 pers: Lemuel Mason, Mary Davies, Thomas Moore, Joseph Blunt, Francis Loyd, Frances Evans,
Mary Ross.
Source: Cavaliers and Pioneers, Vol. 2, Part 2, Patent Book 8, page 385

Note: Could this be Henry Slade, Jr.? Notice this land is just across Northwest River from the
land in the above headright. The date for both headrights is the same day.

23 Oct 1699:
From "Articles of Agreement With the Bay River Indians" (Original in the Court House at Edenton, NC)
Pamptico, the 23rd 7ber, 1699.
Articles of agreement made and concluded on and between Daniel Akehurst, Caleb Calloway, Thomas
Blount & Henry Slade of on parte in behalf of the Government of North Carolina & Sothel King of
the Bear River Indians with his Great Men on behalf of the sd Nation of the other Parte as
foloweth: (5 articles of agreement are listed).

1700:
List of Ships Entering in York District (VA) from 25th March 1700 to 24th June 1700:
Samuel of North Carolina: Plantation Shallop, built 1690, 3 Tons; Richard Sanderson, Master,
Henry Slade, Owner.
Source: English Duplicates of Lost Virginia Records

Note: The Richard Sanderson may be related to the Benjamin Sanderson whom one of Henry Slade,
Jr.'s daughter married. Don't you think the owner of the shallop is our Henry Slade, Sr.?

1700:
Court may term Benj. Slade gives evidence in a court case

1701:
Slade, Henery, Jr. n.a; North Carolina, 1701 9550, p197.
Source: Ship Passengers and Immigration Lists
n.a. = age not available
9550 = source number for a book by Hunter entitled Some Pioneers of North Carolina (the closest
copy of this book I can locate is in Clayton Library in Houston, TX).

From Virgina Land Records (Grantor/Grantee Index):
Book 6: 1695-1703
Book F: 1721-1726
Slade, Henry to Henry Slade Book 6, page 117
Slade, Henry, Sr. to Ralph Meekins Book 6, page 117
Silvester, Richard to Henry Slade Book 6, page 132
Edmond Andros et al to Henry Slade, Sr. Book 6, page 118
Slade Henry et al to Thomas Brent Book 6, page 118
Slade Henry, Sr. to Edward Joanes Book 6, page 118
Slade, Henry, Sr. to Edward Jones, Jr. Book 6, page 191
Slade, Henry, Sr. to Ralph Meekins Book 6, page 219
Slaide, William to James Warden Book F, page 109
Slaide, William to James Warden Book F, page 109
Note: I sure would like to see these land patents. I can't help but believe they would give us
valuable clues.
The land eldest son, William inherited from Henry Slade, Jr. was adjoining land owned by James
Warden.
This same William Slade married Francis Silvester whom I believe to be a daughter of the above
Richard Silvester. In his 1729 will, Richard Silvester mentions his grandsons, Ebenezer and Henry
Slade.
The name Edmond Andros above is very interesting to me. The only Edmond Andros I know was the
Royal governor of the Dominion of New England. The Dominion of New England was created in 1685
when the charters of MA, CT, RI, NY, NJ and NH were revoked under King James II. Why would this
Edmond Andros be granting land to Henry Slade? It this a New York connection for our Henry Slade?
Is the grant of this land the reason why Hnery Slade and his wife Hannah Loveridge, left the
Loveridge family in New York and moved down to Virginia?

1704:
James City County VA Rent Roll - VA
Slade, Wm - 80 acres

1704:
Deed - Chowan - John Worley - from George Slade,
3/21/1704-1705 "assignment of ye within Track of Land".

1706?
Ward Sam. Slade guardian Thomas Respess 9-4-1706 Beaufort County

1706:
Slades in Colonial North Carolina:
Bath Co. NC 1706: Henry Slade

Nov. 9, 1709 - Henry SLADE, Sen., Albemarle Co., to Benjamin SANDERSON, Bath Co., negro boy,
Charles.
Wit: Joseph SLADE, John PROCTOR

Jan. 23, 1710
Slade, George. Jan. 23, 1710. Wife Mary, my boy James Packet; witnesses Daniel
Leigh, Richard Lawrence, Will Newland. (Early NC Will Abstracts) Chowan Pct.

1710:
Matthias Tison's Will
Bath County, NC (Now Hyde County) 1710
In ye name of God Amen. The last will and testment of (torn) Mathias Tisson inhabitant of
Baith county, beeing very sick and weak of body butt in perfect sence & memory, blessed
bee God for itt. My sole I beequeth to ye Lord who gave itt & my body to ye earth & my
world goods as folloth:
I give & beequeth to my son Jhon Tisson - tenn shillings.
To my son, Edward Tisson one cow yearling with all increase.
To my son, Edmond, one cow & calf & one cow yearling with all their increase.
To my son, Tomas Tisson, one cow & calf, with all their increase.
To my daughter, Susanna Tisson one two year old heffer with all her increase.
To my son, Jhonas Tisson one two old heffer & one yearling heffer with all their increase.
To my son, Samuel Tison one tract of land lying on ye north side of a creek called Slaid's
creek & one cow yearling with all their increase.
To my son, Mathyas Tisson two cow yearling with all their increase.
I give to my grandson, Aron Tisson two year old heffer with all their increase.
I will and beequeath to my loving wife, Mary Tisson, my plantation and land I now live on
and all the rest of my esstait. She paing all my justt and lawful deets. Alsoe I (can't make
out) my wife my (can't make out) and sole Exeeatress. In witt whear unto I sett my hand an
seal this fifth day of April Anno Domino 1710.
Sign: Mathyas(X)Tisson
Witnesses:
Beniaman Sanderson
Beniaman Slade
Charlos Smith
(This will is typed in the original spelling)
Source: Beaufort County Record of Deeds, Vol. I, 1695-1729, DAH

March 4, 1713/14
Henry Slade, 353 acres on E. side of Matchepungo River, joining N. side of Slade's Creek, his
former land, a small Creek, Mouth, and Branch. Witnesses: Thos. Pollock, Thos. Boyd, N. Chevin,
Wm. Reed, T. Knight (Patent Book 2)

1715:
A Corn List For Beaufort and Hyde Precincts 1715
In 1712 the government of North Carolina imposed a levy of corn, wheat and money on every tithable
in the colony to provide money and provisions for a small army of Yamassee Indians from South
Carolina to protect the settlers. This levy was in response to an early morning massacre on
September 22, 1711 in the eastern region of North Carolina.
Portion of a corn list of 1715 is found in the Colonial Court Records; Box 190; Folder "Corn
Lists, no dates, 1715-1716"; Taxes & Accounts, 1679-1754. North Carolina State Archives, Raleigh,
N.C.
Rich'd Jasper (married Hannah Slade)
Cor Bell
Simon Foscu
Gilford Silverthorne
Thomas Gidians
Ben Sanderson (married dau. of Henry Slade/Hannah Loveridge)
John Leeth
Henry Slade (is this the Henry who m. Loveridge, or the son of Henry?)
Rob't Banks
John Porter
Sam Slade (son of Henry Slade/Hannah Loveridge)...possibly oldest?
Wid Tice
John Slade (son of Henry Slade/Hannah Loveridge)
Benja Slade (son of Henry Slade/Hannah Loveridge)

May 29, 1716
Inventory of estate of Robert BANKS, ded'd. Appraisers: Henry SLADE, Charles SMITH, Geo. HILL.
Estate included cattle, parcel of old Lumber beds, covering, sows, pair of millstones - total
value 45 pounds, 10 shillings.
Proved at Court at Bath town, July 3, 1716

Jan. 3, 1717
Slade, Joseph. Dead without a will. Edward Francis in right of his wife Susannah, widow of
deceased, Administrator. Jan. 3, 1717.

Jan. 7, 1717 - John RIGNEY, Bath Co., Planter, to Samuel Slade, Hyde Precinct, Planter -
20 pounds - Plantation tract of land, 656 1/2 acres South side Pamtico River - half part of Patent
in John Rigney's name- annual fee rent due to Lords Proprietors.
Wit: Benjn. SANDERSON, Jno. DRINKWATER
Acknowledged Jan. Court 1717 Beaufort

March 28, 1717 - John RIGNEY, Bath Co., Power of Attorney to "well-beloved friend," Benjn.
SANDERSON, and to acknowledge to Samuel SLADE 640 acres lying on South side Pamtico River on
Blount's Creek.
Wit: Simon FOSCUE, Jno. PROCTOR
Proved July Court, 1717 Beaufort

April 29, 1717 - Richard JASPER - Deed of Gift to wife, Keziah JASPER - 1 Mulatto
girl, "Sarah"
Witnesses: Thomas GOODING, Thos. SMITH, Roger MASON
Acknowledged July Court., 1717, Recorded Book B., p. 14 (Beaufort)

Sept. 26, 1717 - Will of Emanuel CLEAVES, Hyde Precinct, Bath Co.
Son - Benjamin Dutton CLEAVES
Sister - Joyce PHILIPS
Wife - Ann CLEAVES
Dau. - Elizabeth CLEAVES
Son - Benjamin Dutton CLEAVES to be placed under care of John CLARKE and Samuel SLADE until 18
years old
Executors - Wife - Ann CLEAVES, Friend - James LEIGH, Esq., Friend - Samuel SLADE
Wit: George HILL, Jno. SNOADE Proved April Court 1718

Oct. 1, 1717 - John PORTER and John DRINKWATER, Bath Co., Commissioners of Bath Town, to John
WEATHERLY - 30 shillings Lot #33 in Bath Town - half an acre, bounded on North on Mr. John
PORTER's land, West on Lot #32, East on Carteret Street. Ditto house restrictions.
Wit: Richard HARVEY, Henry SLADE
Acknowledged Apr. Court 1717

Oct. 20, 1717 - John PORTER and John DRINKWATER, Bath Co., Commissioners of Bath Town, to William
FLANNIKIN - 30 shillings Lot #45 in Bath Town, bounded on North on Lot 44 belonging to Thomas
HENMAN, South on lot #46, East on Carteret Street, West on lots #20 and 21. Ditto house
restrictions.
Wit: Richard HARVEY, Henry SLADE
Acknowledged Oct. Court 1717 Beaufort

Jan. 5, 1718 - Henry SLADE, Parish of Hyde, "did about 20 years ago....give a negro girl with all
her increase to Richard JESPER then in his mother's arms, he being the eldest lawful son of
Richard JESPER and Hannah, his wife, my daughter, and at the same time desired my said daughter to
take the said negroe girl named Moll in possession for the use of said son, Richard, my Grandson,
until he came of age or married." Therefore, gives to grandson, Samuel JESPER,
issue of said negroe girl, Molly "she and her master being now dead, and all her increase, the
former gift being only by word." - 2 negroe girls, Sarah and Kate, now in posession of Richard
JESPER, his father, to be delivered to him on his day of marriage or when at age.
Wit: Samuel SLADE, Gi. HALLEDA Beaufort

July 11, 1718 BEAUFORT COUNTY DEED BOOK 1
Inventory of Estate of Joseph SLADE, deceased. Appraised by John PROCTOR, Richd. JASPER, Benjamin
SANDERSON.
Proved July 11, 1718 before the Honorable the Governor by oath of Edward TRAVERS. BEAUFORT COUNTY
DEED BOOK 1

Oct. 27, 1718 - Will of Henry SLADE, Junior, Parish of Hyde
To: Oldest son - William - plantation in Virginia on the head of lower Indian Creek joining land
of James WARDEN, Co. of Norfolk; also 383 acres adjoining the Manor plantation "whereon I now
live" when of age
Dau. - Dorcas - 1 feather bed and furniture to be delivered to her on the day of her marriage.
Wife - Abigail - one-half manor plantation with house for her natural life
Son - John - other half of manor plantation when of age, and at death of wife, other half. Until
comes of age, whole plantation in hands of his mother.
Remainder of estate to be divided between wife and children as they come of age.
If wife should remarry, estate to be divided, one-half to wife and one-half to children.
Executor - Wife - Abigail
Wit: Gi. HALLIDAY, Will. WYNN, Richd. Wm. SILVESTER

Oct. 5, 1720 - Henry SLADE to grandson, Samuel JESPER - Negro wench, Sarah,
"which I gave unto Richard JESPER, son of Richard JESPER, my son in law, then in his mother's
name, to him the said Samuel . . . seeing that I only gave the said Negro Sarah to Richard JASPER
(sic), and to his heirs . . ."
Wit: Thomas ONY (?), Gilbert HOLLIDAY Beaufort

Mar. 15, 1721
Henry Slade Bath County Parish and Precinct of Hide County
page 95 [224] original date; 3-15-1721 according to account used in England. No probate.
Two Sons; John Slade and Benjamin Slade, cattle, negro.Son; Samll. Slade, tarr owing
to me by James Bright and others. Son-in-law; Benjamin Sandorson,cows. Grandchildren; William,
John, Samuell, Ebeaner[?] and Henry Slade, children of my son Henry Slade decd., their mother's
plantation. Executor; Son Samuel Slade. No signature. No witnesses.
Remarks no mention of recording.

April 17, 1722
Excerpt from Hill-Harding families of Beaufort county pg7
The will of George Hill of Bath County 4-17-1722, probated 3-30-1723, Carolina Province names
his family; ect. George Hill and the Slade families who owned land on the creek first named Slade
Creek now Blounts Creek. They were among the first settlers in the county.

October 30, 1722
Richard Jasper - Hyde Co. Will
sons: Samuel, Jonathan
daughters: Ann, Hanna Leath, Elizabeth

Jureymen from Hyde and Beauf. county
J'n and Benj. Slade

RICHARD SILVESTER (Richard I) in Hyde Precinct
Will written 30? Jan 1728; probate at court held in Bath Town, 10 June 1729.
In his will a wife is mentioned but he does not name her. It mentions a son Richard William
Silvester and grandchildren Ebenezer and Henry Slade (minors). He leaves land to son at the Bridge
town in Norfolk County, VA and land "in Machapungo River. To Willilam Wormintun he leaves 2 bits
of "ground in Virgia" at Bridge town.
1. Richard William (Richard II)
2. daughter = __________ Slade ( minor children: Ebenezer & Henry)

One more thing.....

The first two will abstracts below are from the same will of Henry, Jr. See how confusing it is:

Henry Slade, Junr Parish of Hyde 27 October 1718
Eldest Son William: I give my plantation in Virginia lying on the head of lower Indian Creek
joining to the land of James Warden in the County of Norfolk with all its appurtenances
whatsoever, to him, his Heirs or Assigns forever; I give him three hundred eighty and three acres
of Land adjoining the Mannor plantation whereon I now live with all its appurtenances when he is
of age, and to his heirs and assigns forever. Daughter Dorcas: I give one Feather Bead and
furniture, to be delivered unto her on the day of her Marriage. Wife Abigal: I give the one just
and equal half of my mannor Plantation with the House endureing all the days of her Natural life,
and the other half to my Son John when of age, and after the decease of my wife the whole
Plantation I Give to Son John, to him his heirs and assigns for ever, and till he come of age the
whole plantation to be in the hands of his Mother. Wife to divide the rest of my Estate to my
Children and hers as they come of age, but if my wife do again Marry my Estate be forthwith
divided, one half to my wife and the other half to my Children. Executrix: Wife Abigal.
Henry Slade, Junr
Witnesses:
Gi Halliday
Will Wynn
Richard Wm Silvester
Probate: [No probate statement attached to Will.]
Source: Beaufort County Record of Deeds, Vol. I, 1695-1729, DAH
=====
Henry Slade, Junr Hyde Co.
pages 299-300. Date 10-27-1718. No record of probate. Wife; Abigail. Mentions "my children
and my wife"s as they come of age." Eldest son William, plantation in Virginia."head of Indian
Creek.joining James Warden in the county of Norfolk"; 380A and 300A joining manor plantation I
now live. Daughter Dorcus. Son: John [under age], manor plantation. Grandson Richard Jasper
[decd] [son of Richard Jasper and Hannah, my daughter], see deed page 299 preceeding will.
Executor; Wife Abigail. Signed. Witnesses; Gi Halliday, Will Wynn, Richd. Wm. Silvester.
==========

The next two will abstracts are of the same will for Henry, Sr.:

From: "In the Name of God, Amen!" [t] = tear [*] = smear [?] = not legible
Henry Slade Parish & Precinct of Hide, County of Bath 15 March 1721
Sons John and Benjamin: I give the Cattle that are at my sd Son Benjamins Pen, to be equally
devided between them by them Selves as they Can agree, to them & their heirs forever. Son
Benjamin: My Negro Bob. Son Saml: I give all my [t] land [*] that is Received by me or owing to me
by James Bright or any other person or persons Whatsoever, together with my Chest, Cloaths, &
Canoes [?]. Son in Law Benjamin Sanderson: I give three Cows, & if they have Calves I give him [t]
Calves, also all of their future increase, to him and his heirs forever. William [*] and Henry
Slade, my Grand Children: I give [faded and almost three illegible lines] at their Mothers
Plantation at the discretion of my Executors [*]. Son Samuel: I give all the Rest & remainder of
my Estate. Executor: Son Samuel Slade.
Witnesses [No Signature]
[None Listed]
Probate: [No probate statement attached to Will.]
Source: Beaufort County Record of Wills, 1720-1867, Vol E, Beaufort County Courthouse
=====
Henry Slade Bath County (Hyde)
Parish and Precinct of Hide County pg 95: [224]. Orginial. Date 3-15-1721 according to accuont
used in England. No probate. Two Sons: John Slade and Benjamin Slade, cattle, negro. Son:
Samll. Slade tarr owing to me by James Bright and others. Son in law: Benjamin Sandorson, cows.
Grandchildren: William, John, Samuell, Ebeaner[?] and Henry Slade, children of my son Henry
Slade, decd., their mother's plantation. Executor: Son Samuel Slade. No signature. No witnesses
no mention of recording.
NOTE: Beaufort Co. Deed Bk. 1/299 *Listed in Williams' book as SLADE, Henry (no Jr.)
=====================

Madelyn Bell (View posts)
Posted: 5 Nov 2005 5:52PM GMT
Surnames: Bell, Leath, Slade
William Slade - John Slade - Jemmima Slade m Joshua Bell --

have information on Jemima and Joshua.
Jemima first married to Leath.

Posted: 19 Jan 2011 5:49AM GMT
incredible work there.
I am a descendant of Henry and Hannah, I am finding all this information so amazing.

Ray Johnson

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 8:37AM GMT
Surnames: Slade Dias
I'm interested in your Slade family. I have a Samuel Slade that was guardian to my Henry Dias; 1755 Beaufort county taxables online transcription that reads Jno Slade, Jno Dias.

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 3:53AM GMT
Hannah Loveridge was the daughter of William and Temperance Loveridge. Hannah is listed as a daughter in William's 1684 will in New York.

"...I doe give and bequeave to my eldest doughter Hannah, wife to Henry Slaide, liveing in Caralina, and to my..."

William Loveridge came to America from England (maybe Wool, Dorset) around the 1660s and settled in the area along the Catskill Mountains in what is now Green Co. NY. He was a hatter by trade. William purchased a large tract of land from the local Indians. William’s title to the land was confirmed in February 1686/87 when he was granted a patent to the land by New York colonial Governor Dongan.

According to the will of William Loveridge, his wife’s name was Temperance and their children were:
1. William Loveridge, Jr. - eldest son (married Margriet Du Mont or duMond)
2. Hannah Loveridge - eldest daughter (married Henry Slade of Carolina)
3. Samuel Loveridge
4. Temperance Loveridge - married Isaac Molyn
5. Sarah Loveridge - married John Ward

Posted: 3 Aug 2014 12:09PM GMT
Surnames: Slade, Loveridge 1600's
Hi

I am a Slade Descendant as well.. I just wondered if you had seen this information there is a small bit on Henry Slade et al on this page (generation 11) and on the next page from this (generation 12) they mention Hanna and Temperance Loveridge too... and Wool, Dorset as Henry's birthplace 1655- but seem to lack some of the information you have re dates of death of some of the people.. I wonder would they have a firm record of Henry's birth that would place him firmly in Dorset? All this is fascinating stuff.. ;-D.. Teehee

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/s/m/i/William-Sla...

Best

Les
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyTerms and Conditions