Search for content in message boards

HICKS AND THE CHEROKEE CONNECTIONS

HICKS AND THE CHEROKEE CONNECTIONS

Posted: 20 Aug 2004 4:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Jul 2005 6:01PM GMT
NATHAN HICKS was a trader among the Cherokee, probably born in Albermarle Paris, Sussex County, Virginia, on November 6, 1743, the son of Robert and Mary Hicks.
In 1771 Nathan was trading among the Cherokee. He married NANCY BROOM, a daughter of Cherokee Chief Broom. He was the father of:

1 CHARLES R. HICKS, born 1770, he was married to Nancy and Lydia Halfbreed, and was the father of Catherine, George, Nathan, Elijah, Elizabeth, Sarah, Jesse, Looney, Edward, Elsie, and Leonard.

2 WILLIAM HICKS, born 1800, died prior to Sept. 1839, married to SALLY FOREMAN, he was the father of: Eli, Jay, Ruth, William, Carrington, Margaret, Ella, Anna, Charles, John, Abijah, and Nannie.

3 ELIZABETH HICKS, who married James Vann, Richard Fields, Eliphas Holt, and William Campbell.

Nathan also had a niece, PEGGY SCOTT who married Chief James Vann, of the Cherokee.

I have more info if anyone wants it.

Re: HICKS AND THE CHEROKEE CONNECTIONS

Posted: 20 Aug 2004 7:53PM GMT
Surnames: Hicks
It seems I recall reading in a Cherokee history book that some of the Cherokee tribal members, located in Tennessee in the early 1800s, who were negotiating with the government prior to the Trail of Tears, had the last name of Hicks. I can forward the source when I find the book again.

I am searching for information on my great-grandmother Lucetta Hicks and her brother Willis Hicks. She and her mother were said to be Cherokee. No information is available about Lucetta's father. Lucetta states repeatedly in census reports in the late 1800s that her mother was from Tennessee, which would be correct for the Cherokee tribe in the early 1800s I believe.

However, Lucetta and Willis were born in Missouri in 1838 and 1854, respectively. This does not seem right for the Cherokees, as they were relocated to Oklahoma I thought. I have checked for their names in the Cherokee tribe on the Dawes Rolls, but found nothing. If anyone has more information on the Cherokee Hicks, or Cherokees in Missouri, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Margaret Anders (View posts)
Posted: 20 Aug 2004 9:58PM GMT
Surnames: Hicks, McKensey, Cole
Willis Hicks was born about 1765 in Goockland, Va. He died in 1838 in Carroll County TN. 1830 census for Carroll County, TN shows Hicks, Willis as head of household with l male 15 to 20. l male 60-70, 1 female under 5, l female 40-50 and l female 50-60. In 1830 Willis Hicks Jr. would be about 12, Claiborn Hicks would be about 17, Barton Hicks would be about 25, Luraney Hicks would be about 27. Willis Hicks would be about 65 and Elizabeth about 55. I am trying to connect Henry H. Hicks b. 28 Nov.1817 in S.C. Died 15 Nov. 1881.AR Married Elizabeth McKensey 8 Jul 1838 in Carroll County, TN

Norma Hicks Patton (View posts)
Posted: 21 Aug 2004 6:50PM GMT
Thanks so much for the information on "cherokee connections" for Hicks. I would like all the information I could get. I know I'm a small part native american, but don't have any infor. on this.\
Norma Hicks Patton

Posted: 5 Sep 2004 7:31AM GMT
Surnames: Hicks
I am also a desendent of this family. William Abraham Hicks
Would love to compare notes. Email me.

Posted: 24 Oct 2004 3:44AM GMT
I have a Walter Harrison HIcks b.02/07/1889 Oklahoma d. 04/08/1974 Nowata, Oklahoma m Eva Jane Adamson b.08/12/1898 Nowata, Oklahoma d. 01/24/1975 Nowata, Oklahoma. I do know from family members there that Eva's grandmother was full blooded cherokee Indian. I have seen pictures of her and you can defintely tell she is an Indian.
Thanks
Fay

Posted: 27 Oct 2004 12:09AM GMT
Surnames: Hicks, Seymour
Thanks for the information Fay.
From what I understand, when the Cherokees were relocated in the 1800s, during the Trail of Tears, most of the tribe that didn't die ended up in Oklahoma. Some of the leaders of the Tribe had the last name of Hicks. The challenge I have with my great grandmother Lucetta Hicks is that, in the census records, she state she was born in Missouri, but her mother was from Tennessee, which is where the Cherokee were living prior to the Trail of Tears. How her mother ended up in Missouri rather that Oklahoma with the rest of the tribe is the mystery I am trying to unravel. My father also told me that she was Cherokee Indian. If anyone knows more about the Cherokee history and how they might have ended up in Missouri I would appreciate the help.

Posted: 12 Jan 2005 11:30PM GMT
Edited: 16 Apr 2005 4:13PM GMT
Surnames: Hicks, Frost ,Winburn King.
Looking for info on John Hicks b 1816 in Va, Married a Mary Frost in Hawkins Co Tn .. cira 1855 moved to Appanooose co IA with 14 other families. One was Marys brother Robert Frost and his wife Mary Polly Trent. Have not been able to find Johns family in VA. His grandsons knew thery were Indian but story passed down was their ancestry was to die with them. Can any one help with this???

Dolores Cobb Phifer (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jan 2005 3:38PM GMT

Hello Marj. I love playing with google. Try playing with your ancestor's sibling's lines to see if they have anything on your ancestors. Try to go back as far as you can... they maybe you'll find the connection that you need. I don't recognize your HICKS. My HICKS go back to a Scots trader who married a Cherokee woman.

Hope this helps
Dolores Cobb Phifer

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/FROST/1999-06/093016696...

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22John+Hicks%22,+%22Mary+Fro...

http://www.google.com/search?q=cherokee,+hicks,+%22Hawkins+c...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=cherokee,+hicks,+%2...

Sarah Pearce (View posts)
Posted: 11 Feb 2005 8:39PM GMT
Surnames: sarah
I'm trying to find out the same information. What happened to those who did not make it to Oklahoma. In the history I have read many of Cherokees hid out in the mountains or if the head of the household was a White person/man then they did not have to move. Bob Blankenship in NC is an official of the Indian affairs there.

My grandmother is full blooded Cherokee, Fannie Austin. We learned that she married William Barton Hicks in Dallas Georgia. There are 2-3 William Hickses in history that were half breeds and married Indian women. In 1839 a William Hicks was a White Chief (I believe), he was an interpreter for the Indians and federal government and helped write the Cherokee aphabet.

There are different rolls that the Indians were identified on. I'm trying to find out which one my ancestors are on. I believe it might be the southeast NC Dawes Roll, so I have ordered a copy of the book which should have them listed.

Good Luck, Wata - thank you
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Terms and Conditions