Search for content in message boards

George Pogue, Indiana c.1820

George Pogue, Indiana c. 1820

Posted: 26 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Mar 2002 4:37AM GMT
Surnames: Pogue
My great grandfather Ora Virgil POGUE arrived in Indianapolis about 1904 or 1905. He came from Union City, Randolph County, Indiana. He married Minnie Louise Perrin in 1905 in Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana. I found their marriage record and the record for George L. Pogue and Annie B. Dailey in the same book. George and Annie's marriage date is listed as 20 November 1904 (Book 37, Page 183).

In the 1872-1873 Indianapolis City Directory I found the following information about the history of Indianapolis:
Indianapolis was selected as the capital site on 6 January 1821. The new town was situated in the woods, hidden and out of reach. The early pioneers worked by day and fought Indians by night to protect their homes. "Success crowned their efforts, and the little village commenced on the dismal, ever-hated Pogue's Run, where the first murder was committed by the Indians upon the scattered pioneers, has grown steadily, year by year, until today, it numbers 60,000." Was your George Pogue the murder victim?

There is a Whitewater River in Indiana that runs through Randolph, Wayne, Fayette, Franklin and Dearborn Counties. Maybe Whitewater Settlement is in that area. Whitewater Memorial State Park and Whitewater Canal State Historic Site are located near the river.

I have traced my Pogue ancestors to a William Pogue b. abt 1779 in Virginia. I have corresponded with several other Pogue researchers who have reached a dead end about the same time period. So far we haven't made a connection. There are quite a few Pogues in Randolph, Marion and Sullivan Counties in Indiana.

George Pogue, Indiana c.1820

Posted: 26 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 20 Aug 2001 10:04PM GMT
I'm researching my line of Pogues in Marion/Morgan counties (especially Indianapolis), Indiana, from approximately 1819 on. My line is:

- George Pogue (b. around 1770-d. 1820/21) & Cassandra (Cassie Ann) (Payne?) (d. after 1853)
- to Joseph Pogue & Elizabeth Tharpe
- to Israel Hardin Pogue (b.1846) & Mary McCollern
- to George L. Pogue (1882-1935) & Anna Bell Dailey (1885-1974)
- to Robert James Pogue (1903-1991) & Rose Omega Shockley (1904-1990)
- to Robert George Pogue (my dad)

I'm stuck at the first George, who died of foul play in Indianapolis in 1820/21. All I know of him and his wife is that they had been in the 'Whitewater Settlement'(??) prior to settling in Indianapolis and that they may have originally come from North Carolina. He was a blacksmith. They had at least one more son, William, and probably more children.

If you're working on anyone mentioned above I'd love to swap info - I'm interested in all these folks! Also, does anyone know where the 'Whitewater Settlement' might have been? Thanks and good luck to everyone in their researches!
Athena_Pogue@yahoo.com

Pogue in Indiana

Posted: 18 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 30 Mar 2002 4:37AM GMT
Darlene, I can't connect any of my Pogues to Brown County, Indiana. Mine were in Randolph County by 1840, then in Indianapolis by 1905. Jan

Pogue,s

Darlene (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 3:32PM GMT
The Whitewater Settlement is Indpls. In.My Pogue, came from Brown Co. In.My g-grandma was Martha Jane Pogue, she M. Nelson or Thomas Brown,grandma Pogue divorced Mr. Brown and M. a Tullis in Brown Co. In. (or surrounding area).Their dau. My grandmother was Arlene Brown, she M. Okle Miller,1906,in Brown Co.In. Do any of these folks fit in with your Pogue,s? Thanks, Darlene.

Posted: 20 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 14 Jan 2002 3:49AM GMT
Surnames: Hackleman, Sailors, Lollar, Perkins, Cutchen
All are early settlers of Rush Co In.
George Pogue from SC. to Connersville, IN died in Marion Co In. or near there in 1821 Would like to find others working on thhis line.

POGUE ANCESTRY

Addie Dennis Pogue, JR (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: POGUE
My name is Addie Dennis Pogue, JR from Farmington, MO. I am interested in finding where my name and ancesters orginated from.

Pogue's

Terry Pogue (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Note I have a new email address
Terry Pogue

Pogue roots

Terry Pogue (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
My husbands family are from Mo., St Louis area, his great grandfather took the family there. He was Joseph Marion Pogue. Mean anything to you?
Terry Pogye

George Pogue

Posted: 12 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Aug 2006 3:24PM GMT
Surnames: Pogue, Fullen, Alexander
My relative is George Pogue as mentioned in the article. I am looking for information on his family as they survived his murder.
His daughter Ann or Mary Ann married Samuel Fullen. Their daughter Lucinda married John Alexander. Their son Charles Fullen Alexander was my gggrandfather & lived in Iowa.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Sherrill Kuiken

George Pogue

Posted: 12 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Aug 2006 3:24PM GMT
Surnames: Pogue, Fullen, Alexander
I am looking for information on George Pogue , early settler of Indianapolis. His daughter Mary Ann married Samuel Fullen. Their daughter Lucinda married John Alexander.All of the above lived in Indiana.
Lucinda & John's son :Charles Fullen Alexander was my gggrandfather who lived in Iowa.

Sherrill Kuiken

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Terms and Conditions