Search for content in message boards

Will of Abel White, 1862

Will of Abel White, 1862

Jimmy Hartson (View posts)
Posted: 2 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Will
Surnames: WHITE, HALLETT, BURNELL

In the name of God Amen. I Abel White of Canisteo, Steuben County New York of the age of fifty-five years and being of sound mind and memory do make, publish and declare this my last will and testament in manner following that is to say:

First. I give and bequeath all the real estate now owned by me and which is situated in Canisteo aforesaid equally to my six sons George, Luther, Abel, Ross, Harmon and Charles subject however to the support and maintenance of my wife Nancy as long as she shall remain my widow out of said real estate which support and maintenance it is my will she shall have.

Second. I give and devise to my daughter Matilda Jane one cow.

Third. It is my will and I hereby devise to each of my above named sons one hundred dollars to be paid to them as they become of age respectively by my said executor. And I further will and devise to my sons above named all the residue of my real and personal property if any there be to be divided equally between them when the youngest son shall become of age.

Fourthly. It is my will and desire that all my debts and funeral charges shall be first paid out of the personal property if enough there be and if not then out of the real estate.

Lastly. I hereby appoint my friend Dr. George Riddell of Canisteo sole executor of this my last will and testament hereby revoking all former wills by me made.

In witness whereof I have hereunto se my hand and seal this 19th of August A.D. 1862.

Abel White L.S.

The foregoing instrument consisting of half a sheet was at the date hereof signed sealed published and declared by the said Abel White as and for his last will and testament in presence of us who at his request and in his presence and in the presence of each other have subscribed our names as witnesses thereto. Dated August 19th 1862.

Nelson Hallett Canisteo Steuben County N.Y.

Allen M. Burnell Canisteo Steuben County N.Y.

The foregoing being the last will and testament of Abel White, deceased, and realting to both real and personal estate, together with the proofs of the execution thereof taken before me, was recorded and is hereby signed and certified by me this 2nd day of November one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three.

W. Barnes

Surrogate

Re: Will of Abel White, 1862

Posted: 10 Apr 2010 8:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WHITE, PHOENIX, CREESY, CRESSY, CRESSEY, HOLMES
I am interested in descendants of this Abel WHITE and wife Nancy PHOENIX.

My 3g-grandmother was Sarah L White, m. Andrew Perkins CREESY (alt spellings include CRESSY, CRESSEY). I am trying to determine if my Sarah was the eldest daughter of Abel WHITE and Nancy PHOENIX.

Abel's will names only sons George, Luther, Abel, Ross, Harmon and Charles, and daughter Matilda Jane.

Census records indicate a much larger family, including 2 sons and 3 daughters not named in the will. In the 1865 NY State Census, Nancy was a widow and indicated she had been married only 1 time and was the mother of a total of 12 children.

The family of Abel White is listed in the 1840, 1850 and 1860 Census in Steuben County, NY. He is in Cameron in 1840 and Canisteo in 1850 and 1860. Wife Nancy is in Canisteo in 1870.

My CREESY family lived in Canisteo, so the location fits. The other clues that point to this WHITE family as that of my Sarah are:

1850 Census: family of Abel and Nancy WHITE includes a Sarah, age 19, and "married within the year" is checked. Census was enumerated 9 Aug 1850; My Sarah, who would have been about 19 at the time, married Andrew Perkins CREESY on 4 Aug 1850 -- only 5 days prior.

The Joseph CRESSEY family was recorded for the Census the following day, on 10 Aug 1850. On that record, son 'Perkins', age 25, also has the "married within the year" status checked, and is followed immediately by Sarah, listed in this household as age 18.

My Joseph and Betsey (HOLMES) CREESY / CRESSY / CRESSEY did NOT have a daughter named Sarah, and the order of names in the household does suggest that the Sarah listed is the new bride of son (Andrew) Perkins.

So, is the Sarah in the WHITE household the same Sarah listed with my CRESSEY household?

There are also later CREESY family records, from the 1890's or thereabouts, referring to an "Uncle Harmon", among others. One of Abel and Nancy's younger sons, born 2-3 years after Sarah married, was named Harmon, so the children of Sarah and Andrew CREESY would indeed have had an uncle by that name.

From Census data + Abel's will, I have the following presumably complete list of 12 children of Abel WHITE and Nancy PHOENIX:
(*** by those named in will)

Sarah, b. abt 1831
John, b. abt. 1833
Matilda, b. abt. 1835 ***
Malissa, b. abt. 1837
William, b. abt. 1839
Harriet, b. abt. 1841
George, b. abt. 1843 ***
Luther, b. abt. 1846 ***
Abel, b. abt. 1848 ***
Ross, b. abt. 1850 ***
Harmon, b. abt. 1852 ***
Charles, b. abt. 1854 ***

Was Matilda the only daughter named because she was still single and living at home? Daughters Sarah, Malissa and Harriet were not named.

My Sarah was still alive at the time, so assuming she is the same Sarah, were the other 2 daughters also omitted because they were married and had been given whatever they were going to get when they married? Or had either of them died prior to Abel's will being made?

The 6 sons named were all under the age of 20 yrs at the time Abel made out his will.

Were older sons John and William not named because they had died, or had they already received any portion of Abel's estate he intended to provide them?

I'd be interested in comparing notes with any descendants of any of the above family.

Thanks!

Posted: 11 Apr 2010 2:22AM GMT
Did your Sarah White who married Andrew Creesy ever remarry?

I found the obit for Nancy Phoenix White and she is survived by a daughter, Sarah, but Sarah is listed as Sarah Crawford.

Here is the obit
31 January 1902 Rochester Democrat and Chronicle

Mrs Nancy Phoenix, widow of the late Abel White, died in Campbell yesterday morning in the 90th year of her age. She was the mother of 12 children-seven of whom are living,
Luther, of Newburg, Missouri
Abel, of Petersburg, Virginia
Ross, of Campbell
Harmon, of Richmond, Staten Island
Mrs Sarah Crawford, of Hornellville
Mrs Matilda Brown, of Cameron
Mrs Harriet Childs, of Bishopville
24 grandchildren
30 great grandchildren

Kathy

Posted: 11 Apr 2010 4:35AM GMT
I checked several things and I think that Sarah Crawford is the same person as Sarah White Creesey. This is what I base it on.

On the 1892 New York Census Steuben Canisteo
Crawford William 71 farmer
Crawford Sarah 61
John 19
Crawford Sarah Dec 1831 4 children-4 living Mother-in-law
Andrew P Creesey dies in 1882 and is buried in Upper Swale Cemetery-Town of Canisteo along with his parents-Joseph and Betsey.
William Crawford is listed on the 1880 Census as a widower. His wife, Minerva had died in 1878. He dies in 1896 and both Minerva and William Crawford are buried in Baker Farm Cemetery-Town of Canisteo

Check this out and see if you agree with me.

Kathy

Posted: 11 Apr 2010 1:39PM GMT
I also found the obit for Andrew Creesy that also connects.

Andrew Creesey died last evening at his home, 58 Sawyer St, age 56 years. He is survived by his wife and son, Fred and Mrs Edward Hackett of this city, John Creesy of Spokane, Washington and Charles Creesy of Middletown, NY. Funeral from house on Wed Dec 15 at 2:30-Burial in Rural Cemetery.

On the 1900 census Sarah Crawford is living with the Edward Hackett family and is listed as Edward's mother-in-law so Edward's wife, Lida, is her daughter.

Kathy

Posted: 11 Apr 2010 2:42PM GMT
Here are some cemetery records for the White Family.

Upper Swale Cemetery Town of Canisteo Steuben County

WHITE
Abel spouse of Nancy b 18??-d 4 Sep 1865- 56y 2m 25d

George E b 1842-d 1861

John L b 1833-d 1857(also on stone(Winnie and Rebecca White)

William b 1839-d 1861

Ross J b 1851 d 30 Mar 1903 51y 7m 18d

Nancy Spouse of Abel 30 Jan 1902 80y 5m 1d {Ifound on her obit that said she was 90 yrs old}

Kathy

Posted: 30 Apr 2010 1:45AM GMT
Surnames: CREESY, WHITE
Wow! Thank you Kathy. I think you're onto something, and that explains why I haven't been able to find Sarah Creesy after Andrew's death. I had also been searching for signs of Lida (some records have her as "Sida", but I believe that was due to mis-reading a handwritten record) to see if that would lead to what happened to Sarah.

Can I ask where you found the obits? Are those posted online anywhere? The Andrew Creesy obit combined with the 1900 Census data certainly seems to tie things together. The reference to Charles Creesy of Middletown and John Creesy of Spokane confirms the obit as that of my Andrew Perkins Creesy.

I hadn't even considered whether Sarah might have remarried. You've opened up a whole new direction for me. Thank you!

Denise

Posted: 30 Apr 2010 1:50PM GMT
Denise

Here is where I found the obit for Nancy Phoenix White.

www.fultonhistory.com search in quotes

"Abel White"
Hit # 60 Obit for Nancy Phoenix White

I found the obit for Andrew-not sure where right now. It was on a tree on Ancestry but not sure whose. I was trying so many combinations of names that day. I'll see if I can find it again

Kathy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyTerms and Conditions