Search for content in message boards

Handy Bible

Handy Bible

Posted: 29 Jun 2001 11:27AM GMT
Classification: Bible
Surnames: Handy
My Grandmother was Cora May Handy born the 25th of April, 1887 in Ontario, Canada. We have the Handy Family Bible. We believe it is about 200 years old. The first couple of
pages are missing, so I can't establish where it was published or when. The first few pages of the bible
explains different religions. A lot of them refer to the beginnings of that particular religion in New York. That may be the area from which this bible was published. There are a few handwritten Birth entries and 5 Death entries. I am hoping someone knows these names and we can get some info on our grandmother's ancestry. They are as follows:
Births
Lewis F.....27 Feb. 1810
Maria.........16 Oct. 1816
Harriet........14 Mar. 1834
Jacob C. .....26 Aug 1834
Andrew........21 June 1839
Margaret......13 Sept 1842
Perry G.........19 Jan. 1845
Julia..............9 July 1847
Nelson..........7 May 1850
Maria.............6 Nov 1852
Lewis.............25 Jan. 1856
Clydenia.........30 Sept. 1858
Mary...............5 Feb 1863
Mabel Violet....4 Nov 1878
Lena Maud.......14 Dec 1880
William Lewis.....15 Dec 1882
Cora................. 25 Apr 1887
Bertha Handy.....23 Aug. 1887
Lloyd Handy......11 May 1900

Deaths
Lewis Handy died August 15th Age 6 mths 22dys
Andrew died September 10th 1859 Age 19yrs 2 mths 20 dys
Mary died August 3rd 1863 Age 6 mths
Lewis F. died April 3rd 1869 Age 59 yrs 1 mth 16 dys
Harriet Leach died Feburary 22 1914 Age 80 yrs 2 mths

I did find a Nelson and a Jacob in the 1871 census for Norfolk County and a Perry and a Marie in Brant County whose ages fit the dates.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Nancy

Re: Handy Bible

Posted: 30 Jun 2001 3:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi!

My name is Melanie Handy-Hurley. I am looking for information on my Great Grandfather Doc Handy b. Apr.7, 1885 in Wilkes County, NC. My Great Grandmother was Emma Rhoades same birthdate and county. Any connections?

Thanks!
Melanie

Posted: 30 Jun 2001 3:21PM GMT
Hi Melanie,
I'm sorry, but I don't have very much info on the Handy's. The Handy's I am looking for are from Ontario, Canada. The only information I have on my grandmother is her name and birth date and that she had a brother Lloyd. I am trying to find out who her parents were and where she was born.
Again sorry I can't help you out.
Nancy

Posted: 24 Jul 2001 11:52PM GMT
Nancy, what was your grandmother's name? My grandmother had a brother named Lloyd Handy. Her father was Dr. Albert Llyod Handy (1860-1941) m. 1886 to Ella Smithton in Erath, Tx. They had four kids and she died in 1898 and he remarried Mary or Matti Yielding 1899 in Arkansas and had 5 more kids.Is this your line? -- Elaine

Posted: 28 Dec 2001 7:17PM GMT
My name is Wanda J Handy Warner. My Grandfather was Albert L Handy and my Grandmother ( second wife) was Mary Yielding. They had eight more children so thats a total of
twelve.
My father was Eugene V Handy. There's two of the twelve still living.

Elaine Akins (View posts)
Posted: 28 Dec 2001 9:52PM GMT
Hi, Wanda... nice to meet you, cousin. What I am looking for is any history of ggrandfather Albert. Where did he come from? Our family story is that he came from Kentucky. I am unable to find the conection to which family in Kentucky was his family of origin. Do you have any information. Thanks, hope to hear from you soon. -- Elaine

Posted: 28 Dec 2001 11:59PM GMT
The story I get is that he wouldn't talk about his past life. We think he's from Kentucky and something bad happened there.
He was always moving from Ark. to TX and back. My Grandmother was very tiny, had brown hair and eye's. He was a lot older then her. The last of his four children he had with his first wife died three years ago at the age of 103. There is two left of the eight he had with my Grandmother. My father died six years ago. James Handy live's in Ark. and Lidia Mae Handy Patterson lives in OR. She was the youngest.
Do you think there is a connection with our family's? I hope so. I would love to learn more.
Wanda Handy Warner

Elaine Akins (View posts)
Posted: 29 Dec 2001 12:48AM GMT
Oh, yes, my apologies... we are related. G-Grandfather Albert married Ella Smithson, had four children (my grandmother, Effie was the fourth). Ella died when grandmother was a baby, and Albert married Mary Yielding. I knew Uncle Jimmie (James) when I was a child. I don't know what happended in Kentucky, but the family story is that he participated in a dual, where he killed the other dualer, and he fled to Texas. Back then, dualling was common but was illegal. There is some wonder as to whether his real name was Handy because there is a Hamby who was a Texas Ranger (he was supposed to have been a Ranger, but there is no listing for Albert Handy. If the old folks know anything else, please share it with me. Thanks, Elaine

Posted: 31 Dec 2001 10:32PM GMT
E-mail me at Wandaj1578@aol.com

Wanda Jean

Posted: 28 Aug 2003 2:10AM GMT
Elaine, have information on Albert's parents and possibly his grandparents. Email me : ginnydbe@alltel.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyTerms and Conditions