Search for content in message boards

Margaret Elizabeth McDaniel-Roach

Margaret Elizabeth McDaniel-Roach

Posted: 15 Jul 2010 12:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McDaniel/Griffin/Russil/ Roach
Margaret Elizabeth Peggy McDANIEL md: John Green Roach in prob N.C. 1812-14 if the order and ages of their children is correct.
Margaret was born in North Carolina about 1794-6.she was the daughter of Eli McDANIEL & Elizabeth GRIFFIN, Margaret died before 4 Apr 1881 in Rutledge, Grainger, Tennessee, at approximately 85 years of age.
all records in NC & TN indicate that Elizabeth "Betsy Griffin- McDaniel came to Grainger Co.TN in the spring of 1819 with several of her children, after selling the land in Orange Co NC in the fall of 1818 owned by dec'd husband Eli McDaniel, deed records prove this....and it is now believed that with them traveled John Green Roach & Margaret McDaniel, this could be the reason Jno"Green"Roach does not show up on any TN tax or census records until 1820-1830, Elizabeth Griffin-McDaniel died in Grainger Co TN bef 1850 Census, she is on the 1830 Grainger co Tn Census & I believe the 1840 if memory serves me

Margaret has been repeatedly listed as d/of John McDaniel & Margaret Russil, which I believe is in error, as far as i have found in all the documents I have ,none of that family came to Grainger co TN. and I'm told their Daughter Margaret did not marry a Jno Green Roach, I wish people would get the primary documents before they copy the wrong info online

Re: Margaret Elizabeth McDaniel-Roach

Posted: 15 Jul 2010 12:33AM GMT
Surnames: Roach,McDaniel,Mayes
PS FYI: many people have listed Nelson Roach as a child of Jno Green Roach & Margaret McDaniel they had 13 children, Nelson Roach was a grandson not a son, dau Sarah Roach was the mother she also had a daughter Nancy J Roach who was the result of an affair with Jessee Hodges, Nelson could be also, Sarah later md: Edward Mayes a much older man, they had one son William, Sarah died pre 1867, prob at Williams birth as she is not on 1860 census with Edward & Wm

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 8:04PM GMT
Surnames: McDaniel, Wright, Russell
I do show in my family history a Margaret W. McDaniel, b. 17 Jan 1794 in Orange County, NC, Parents John McDaniel (1760-1824) and Margaret Russell (1762-1845).

Margaret Russell was the daughter of Alexander Russell and Jane Wright.

Now, as to a husband for Margaret W. or where she eventually lived/died, I have nothing in my computer files, indicating that I have nothing of either reasonable presumption or substantiated with a source. I'll have to revisit the paper files to see if there is something else, but I would tend to agree that there is no apparent connection with John Green Roach. There is no indication that anyone in that family went to TN. They did, over the course of several trips over several years, relocate much of the family to north west Missouri.

The surname Roach is mentioned in a booklet on an Eli McDaniel (from the Sutro Branch, California State Library, Call # CS 71 M133 1983a) whose family went to TN. There are two mentions of marriage bonds between Eli McDaniel (1812-1886) and first Elsira Roach (m. 01/01/1833) and second Elvira Roach (m. 01/01/1834)

That same booklet mentions that the Sr. Eli, in NC, left a will naming three daughters who were apparently underage at the time of the will, 1808. They are named as Peggy, Sally, and Susy. Sally and Susy show as married in 1817 (Orange Co. NC to Joseph Smith) and 1822 (Grainger Co. TN to Dickson Smith) respectively.

My notes about Margaret W. are based on a book by Bernice McDaniel & Wilma Davis, 1976, then filled in with a research trip to North Carolina about Dec., 2000.

Posted: 17 Aug 2010 7:04AM GMT
Surnames: McDaniel, Roach Smith
Hey Jim,
Glad to see someone who is doing research on McDaniel, besides myself, I do have the booklet or pages from it on Eli McDaniel Sr.with a pic of him, it makes for a good case that his dau "Peggy" is the Margaret Elizabeth"Peggy" McDaniel who md: John Green Roach I have Eli's will also...and deeds records for when Eli Sr's wife Elizabeth sold their land in Orange Co NC..

the Eli McDaniel who md Elvira Roach in Grainger co TN.was the grandson of Eli Sr of NC....son John McDaniel was his father,mother was unknown 1st wife... this John McDaniel bro of "Peggy" died in Grainger Co TN abt 1845 I believe, Roach-McDaniel-Smith & others of my DH's family are all inter-married or related in some way in TN, later generations also moved to the Springfield area of MO.

Posted: 27 Jan 2012 6:05PM GMT
Surnames: McDaniel/Roacg
Your post is about 2 years old but I am a descendent of Eli McDaniel through his son Mathias, then through his daughter Lucy Cornelia McDaniel (my grandmother on my father's side) She married Daniel Robert Roach. You stated that there was a pic of Eli. I would be interested in it as I also have a pic of Lucy Cornelia McDaniel Roach. Any info I can send you will be gladly sent. Edith Roach Bullock

Posted: 27 Jan 2012 9:56PM GMT
Hi Edith,
The pic of Eli McDaniel is just a photocopy in the book pages for Eli Sr & Elizabeth Griffin, I'm not sure who the pic is really of,which Eli it could be, and its very hard to see, but there were no photo's yet in 1769-1809 the time frame that Eli McDaniel Sr lived,you descend from Eli McDaniel Jr son of John & unknown 1st wife?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyTerms and Conditions