Search for content in message boards

Hendrick Sellen to Anthony Sells Confirmation

Hendrick Sellen to Anthony Sells Confirmation

Posted: 14 Nov 2009 6:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sellen, Sell, Sells
All,

I am looking for some confirmation on the following name change. As you can see below between 8 and 9 the name was changed from Sellen to Sells for Anthony. I am wondering if any one has more information surrounding this change and / or why it was done.

1. Tracy S Sells (Me) (1977 - ?)
2. Louie Ben Sells Jr. (1941 - ?)
3. Louie Ben Sells (1912-1963)
4. William S Sells (1866-1933)
5. Emanuel Sells (1826-1887)
6. Abraham Sells (1794-1869)
7. Anthony Sells (1754-1800)
8. Anthony Sells (1712-1792)
9. Hendrick Sellen (1666-1749)
10. Jacob Sellen (1640-1675)

There are records showing where Hendrick migrated from Germany to the US and landed in GermanTown PA around 1689. Anthony Sells was born 23 years later in the same town.

Any information would be great.

Re: Hendrick Sellen to Anthony Sells Confirmation

Posted: 10 Apr 2010 1:23AM GMT
Edited: 10 Apr 2010 2:25AM GMT
Surnames: Zellen; Sellen; Sell; Sells
Hi. Just ran across your query. Hendrick Zellen/Sellen/Sell was in Germantown, PA by 20 Dec 1685. He probably came from Krefeld, Germany, but that, or his parentage, is not proven. Sellen seems to have had several sets of children, of which Anthony Sell/Sells is one son who lived in Chester County by 1747/48, and he inherited 200 acres from "his father Henry Sell" in York County in 1750 (under a Maryland deed.)Hendrick died in York County in Oct 1749. Various public documents list Anthony as Sell or Sells. Anthony died in Huntingdon Co, PA in 1792. Anthony's children all used Sells as their surname. If needed, I can provide primary documentary sources. Sincerely, Richard Sell

Posted: 10 Jan 2011 2:29AM GMT
I have googled Jacob Sellen, Hendrick Sellens father. I am guessing that like most families that come to the "new world" their last names get changed.

Posted: 8 Feb 2014 9:39PM GMT
I have wondered why the name was changed too. My dates are slightly different than yours, but the name "Hendrik Von Sellen" was anglicized to "Sell" the name being spelled by various members of the family as Seltz, Sell, Sells, Zell and even Sill. The "Von" preceding a name in Holland (now Northern Germany) was a symbol for a high or landed gentry which was dropped in the new world. Hendrick Von Sellen came to America from Crafel/Krafel, Germany in 1686. The Sells family (as we know it) originally came from near La Rochelle, France. The name was Celle then, but the family moved to the Palatinate, Germany due to religious persecution. The name took a German spelling although it was pronounced the same - Zell or Zellen."

Posted: 8 Feb 2014 10:25PM GMT
Surnames: SELL, ZELLEN, SELLEN, SELLS, CELL, ZELL, ZELL, GSELL
Hi: May I contribute...I've researched Hendrick Zellen (original spelling...I have several signatures from Germantown, Philadelphia and York Co, PA, dated from 1692 to 1749, the year he died) for about 30 years. The name morphed from Zellen to Sellen and eventually to Sell. And his children (and clerks) variously spelled it as the above three examples, and as well Sells, Zell, Cell, Gsell.

Anthony seems to have changed to Sells, at least his children, when he moved from Mt. Joy Twp, York (now Adams) County about 1773. He went first to Bedford Co, then his area there became Huntingdon County, where his will was probated in 1792. I don't recall at the moment if I have any examples of his signature, but let me check my files. I have also been researching Anthony for years, and of course his brother Abraham (who used Sellen and Sell) who is my direct ancestor. I am slowly inputting data into my The Sell Family(2) on Ancestry.com. I don't believe anyone has published a treatis on Anthony, and that is a goal of mine in the next few yeeAars. Thanks, Richard Henry Sell..
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyTerms and Conditions