Search for content in message boards

Gantt from AL.

Gantt from AL.

Posted: 16 Oct 2011 5:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am Jo Ann Gant Pisciotta. My father is Cary H. Gantt from AL. He was married to Flossie Gantt, had three children, Cary, Martha and Mary. Floosie and Cary were devoriced, elder Cary Changed his name to Charles L. Gant when he came to New Orleans to work at Higgins during the war. He dropped the last T in his name. He married Rose Bellisomi and I am their only child, Jo Ann. I was born 1/15/1943. I remember seeing a picture of his children coming to New Orleans to visit and seeing pictures taken in a park with me as a baby. Cary, Martha and Mary would have been in their tewenties.I would like to contact any relatives from my half brother and sisters. I would like to know why my father left his family. I has always troubled me that he left his family. If anyine can me any information that would be great. Thanks.

Re: Gantt from AL.

Posted: 2 Dec 2011 11:56PM GMT
Surnames: Gantt
I saw your msg on the Gantt's from Alabama. My name is Nelindra Ann Corum and I am a Gantt descendant. Your line is one of my branches. I am especially interested in your Cary Gantt. My father name was Cary Judson Kelly. He has passed as has the rest of his family, but I am really interested in the first name of Cary. His grandparents were a combination of a Dunlap, and Mary Etta Gantt. She was the d/o John Gantt of Elmore County. I have tried for years to figure out where the name of Cary for my father originated. I know it did not come from the Kellys (were German) nor the Dunlaps, so the Gantt surname is where I have been looking. Do you know who the original Cary Gantt was? Have you every heard anything about where the name Carey/Cary came from?

I hope you don't mind, but I was looking at your Gantt tree on Ancestry and I have something that is different from your information: The Mary L. E. Dunlap who married the W. Gantt is one of mine. Her father was John Gant. Your line is from JOhn's brother, one Isaac Gantt as follows:

There was a Rev Isaac Moody Sewell who was a descendant from Isaac Gantt (one of the original bunch who came to Alabama, ca1840/ca1850). He did a very thorough job of documenting the Isaac Gantt line. His document is 25 pages long using a very old typewriter. Here is what he has on your line.

Page 19: Gan. Three (3)
Chas L. Gantt 4-28-1872 to 7-5-1961
m. 12-24-1893 Alpha Jackson 1-6-1875 to 3-13-1941
Children:
Wm Clyde Gantt 11-16-94
Jessie -infant- 1896 1897
Carey H. Cantt 5-5-98 (does not cary this family any further
Julia Gantt 8-22-00
Tommy d. infant (there is an entry in prens of (LA))
M. Virtis Gantt 10-29-06
Isaac V. Gantt 11--3-08
Mary Edna Gantt
Luvonia E. Gantt 2-24-13
Evelyn Gantt ?-20-15
James Elvis 1-29-18

Charles L. was the s/o
William Lunceford Gantt 8-20-1834 to 1914
M. Mary Eliz. Martin 1845/1919

William was the s/o
Isaac Gantt 4-15-1802 4-210-1886

Isaac Gantt was the s/o
Lunsford Gaunt b.ca 1767 Virginia, d. ukn Lincoln Co., GA.

Your Isaac Gantt was the brother to my line, John Gantt.

I have a Gantt file that documents the migration trail of the Gaunts from VA to AL., and I will gladly send to youvia e-mail. I have nothing on your Carey Gantt beyond the listing in the Charles Gantt family of Rev Sewell's. Sewell's Gantt History is on file at the Alabama Archives in Montgomery. I wrote to them and they sent me a copy. I will be glad to send you a copy if you give me your s-mail address. I have not included this history in my files, but I make ref to it.

You might get lucky and look for the Lunsford line on Ancestry. There are many family trees listed. You might find one that has your Carey.

Take care
Ann Corum
296 John Hicks Road
Hazel Green, Alabama

Posted: 3 Dec 2011 3:59PM GMT
Thank you some much for your reply. My son, Rob has all the paper work on our family. He is presently out of town today. I should see him Monday and show him your e-mail.
Thanks again. I am sure he would like copies of your papers, but let him look at what you have sent first. I will print out your e-mail for our records. As you know we are all involved with all this football this weekend.
My e-mail is joannp11@bellsouth.net.

Posted: 4 Jan 2012 10:30PM GMT
I am just beginning to research my dad's family. His father's name is Jeannie Gantt. That is all I know.

Posted: 5 Jan 2012 2:36AM GMT
Sorry that name is not in my line.
One web site that I just discovered this last weekend, which you may know already know, is Find A Grave. I found grave sites of some of my relatives. It was very helpful.
Good luck.
Jo Ann

Posted: 5 Jan 2012 3:09PM GMT
Thanks for the suggestion!

Posted: 29 Jan 2012 5:41PM GMT
I am also researching the Gnatt family, my great grandfather (x2) was Moses Gnatt...I believe his father was Wiley Gnatt from Montgomery or Autauga Co., Ala...Moses married Martha Houser, she was around 14 years old at the time of marriage. Have you ever hear/ran across their names????

LaShanda

Posted: 30 Jan 2012 12:59AM GMT
Surnames: Gantt
I have a Major Wiley Gantt in my line, Elmore Co., AL. Can't find any Moses Gantt though. Do you have any dates? or other names? I have several files on the Gantts of Alabama, and with some help from you, if they are in Alabama, I probably have a record somewhere. In addition to my computer files, I have a lot of manual files, just need a little more help to get going thru this Gantt data.

Nelindra Ann Corum
Lunsford Gantt/Gaunt descendant

Posted: 8 Feb 2012 9:34PM GMT
Mose Gantt was born in 1897 and he died in Montgomery on Nov 14, 1945 he married Martha Houser from Prattville, Ala between 1910-1912. They divorced and he remarried a woman by the name of Elizabeth...

thanks in help would be appreciated.

LaShanda

Posted: 21 Feb 2012 7:24PM GMT
I have checked all my Gantt files, and I didn't find any info on your Gantt line.

Sorry

Ann Corum
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Terms and Conditions