Search for content in message boards

FORTUNATUS DOBBS

FORTUNATUS DOBBS

Posted: 21 Dec 2000 7:28AM GMT
Edited: 12 Aug 2002 9:58PM GMT
LOOKING FOR INFO ON FORTUNATUS DOBBS HIS WIFE WAS MARGARET ONE OF HIS SONS WERE THOMAS U. I DO NOT HAVE MUCH INFO ON HIM HE WAS BORN ABOUT 1808. DO NOT HAVE ANY IDEA WHO HIS PARENTS WERE OR WHERE THEY MAY BE FROM. FORTUNATUS DIED IN HARALSON CO.,GEORGIA ON 1-29-1889.WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFO.

Fortunatus Dobbs

Posted: 22 Dec 2000 11:54AM GMT
Edited: 4 Mar 2002 5:06PM GMT
As you know your Fortunatus Dobbs
was in both Cobb and Cherokee Counties
before he moved later to Haralson.
In the Cobb County census he was
listed as F. N. Dobbs.
I do not know who his parents were
but he was likely a grandson of old
Fortunatus Dobbs who participated
in the American Revolution from
Spartenburg Co., SC and was in
Abbeville Co., SC by 1790 and who
probably died there around 1797.
Much erroneous information has been
published on him but the facts are
clear on his revolutionary service.

fotunatus dobbs

sonja dobbs stosal (View posts)
Posted: 26 Dec 2000 4:14PM GMT
mnay try to seek out george dobbs he's from atlata. george has died but family still in GA.

DOBBS

ANNETTE BROOME (View posts)
Posted: 26 Dec 2000 5:30PM GMT
ATTN: MR GRUFFIN MY AUNT MARY LOU DOBBS CARLILE HAS BEEN CORRESPONDING WITH YOU FOR YEARS WHAT PUZZLES ME IS IF FORTUNATUS CAME OVER IN THE 1700'S HOW COULD HIS FATHER FIGHT IN THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR? AND WHAT ABOUT THAT SIR RICHARD DOBBS? AND THE DOBBS CASTLE? I'M NEW AT THIS AND TRYING I'M NOT THROWING STONES. SO MUCH I DON'T UNDERSTAND AND NEED HELP I HEARD YOU HAVE BEEN BUSY AT THIS FOR YRS ME MAYBE 2 ANYWAY I CONTACTED THE BELFAST HALL OF RECORDS AND THEY ONLY GO BACK TO LIKE 1800'S SAID I'D HAVE TO GO TO THE CHURCHES HOW DO WE DO THAT?? MY AUNT IS VERY IMPRESSED WITH YOU AND ALL THE HARD WORK YOU HAVE DONE I CAN ONLY LEARN FROM YOU PLEASE KNOW THAT I RESPECT YOUR EFFORTS FOR I KNOW THEY HAVE TO BE MANY
I HAVE BEEN IN LITTLE RIVER CEMENTARY IN WOODSTOCK TO SEE DAVID WASHINGTON AND CYTHINIA'S GRAVE THEY ARE VERY BEAUTIFUL MONUMENTS
PLS PLS LET ME HEAR FROM U
CONTACT ME DIRECTLY UNDER MY EMAIL
ABROOME246@AOL.COM
THANKS
Posted: 16 Jan 2001 7:43AM GMT
Edited: 4 Mar 2002 5:06PM GMT
Nice to hear from you. My computer has been
down for several weeks, so pardon my delay
in responding. As a genealogist for some
38 years, I have learned that it is best to
prove one generation at a time as we go back.
In our case, we cannot prove a connection to
Fortunatus Dobbs. We go back to Lott Dobbs
and there is fairly strong evidence today that he was the son of a John Dobbs who came
down from North Carolina to SC around 1785 and moved over into Wilkes Co., GA by 1787.
He was still there when Elbert County was
formed from Wilkes in 1790 and probably died
in Elbert about 1795. Though many have tried
to connect us to Fortunatus, I have found no
significant evidence which supports it.
I am glad you got to visit the graves of
David Washington Dobbs and wife at Little
River. I have been there a number of times.
R. L. Guffin

jefferson davis

annette (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jan 2001 7:07PM GMT
wellmr guffin he was my great grand dad
he married caroline mcclesky
and if you have visted little river cementary
then you are aware of the 4 way stop hwy 92 and trickum well the old home place was on one corner you would cringe if you saw it now my house is down a little on trickum was given to me by my family and now have developers wanting to buy my one acre for 250k its just so sad have you ever been to dawson cementary that is where jeff davis and caroline are buried she lived to be 102yrs i was 12 when she died
i could tell u so much i have her bible and all the children's names and b days they have 2 that are buried at little river
idele and almay mae those toomstones are almost gone soooo sad
pls emial me thru aol not this
i have a hard time with this
thanks

Dobbs History

Posted: 6 May 2001 1:21PM GMT
Edited: 20 Jan 2003 2:13AM GMT
RL Guffin,

I am hoping you may have information that I need to further my search on my branch of the Dobbs family.

I am looking for the parents of Linzy Dobbs. He was born in Bedford, County Tennessee around 1810. He was raised by his grandparents - William and Kiziah Dobbs.

After his Grandfather died he traveled by covered wagon with his family to Drury, Missouri. They were accompanied by a family named Golden.

Linzy was married to a Piety Evans and they had 13 children. Linzy and 5 of his sons fought in the Civil War. Linzy contacted small pox and died around 1865.

I have several cousins trying to trace this branch and they concluded that our original branch started from Fortunatus Dobbs who came here from Ireland in 1755.

Do you have any information on the Dobbs Book and where I might get a copy. I have asked others and have been told it is no longer in print therefore no one is able to get a copy. Seems there must be someone willing to assist with information from the book.

Would appreciate any assistance you can give me.

You may E-Mail me at Kiltsman@aol.com

Thanks again - Bonnie

Re: FORTUNATUS DOBBS

Posted: 7 Aug 2002 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Dec 2002 7:31PM GMT
I am a descendant of Fortunatus N. Dobbs through his son Thomas Union Dobbs. Fortunatus is buried in the cemetery of Bethlehem Baptist Church in Felton, Haralson Co., GA. His tombstone says he was born in 1805. His son Thomas U. served in the Civil War. I know many stories about his experiences in the war through my great aunt, his granddaughter. Thomas U. is buried in the same cemetery.

Posted: 21 Jul 2003 2:55AM GMT
Surnames: COKER, DOBBS,GARRISON,WHITAKER,COVINGTON & MORRIS
I have dobbs in my family, my grandmother Beaulah P. Dobbs, her father Seaborn N. Dobbs, his father Jonathan Dobbs, his father William Dobbs & his father Fortunatus Dobbs, if you have any Info. on this line, could you please send me all Info. all help would be great, thank you.
DUNCAN COKER
dcoker&hotmail.com

Posted: 28 Sep 2006 8:23PM GMT
Surnames: Dobbs
Hi Julie,
I would love to hear your stories about Thomas U's wartime experiences. He is my great great grandfather through his son John William Fortunatus Dobbs. I'm sure other relatives would like to hear the stories, too. Would you post them here? Thanks so much.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Terms and Conditions