Search for content in message boards

"The Wadsworths of the Genesee [Valley colonial NY]" book

"The Wadsworths of the Genesee [Valley colonial NY]" book

Posted: 6 Jul 2006 6:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Apr 2010 2:27PM GMT
Surnames: Wadsworth
I own The Wadsworths of the Genesee
The story of the remarkable Wadsworth family of western New York state, After arriving in1632, they pioneered New York's genessee Vally in 1790.

EACH GENERATION HAS GIVEN ATLEAST ONE OUTSTANDING STATESMAN OR SOLDIER TO THE SERVICE OF THEIR COUNTRY.

GENERAL JEREMIAH WADSWORTH who served with General George Washington during the American Revolution, bought large tracts of land in the wilderness of the genesee and sent his two nephews to live there. They founded a flourishing settlement and increased their holdings by the treaty of the Big Tree with the seneca Indians- which is still in effect. GENERAL WILLIAM WADSWORTH fought in the war of 1812, and was famous as a first-class fighting man who used "the worst language in the whole American Army." His nephew, GENERAL JAMES S. WADSWORTH, commanded the Union spearpoint at Gettsburg and gave his life for his country at the Battle of the Wilderness. His son, JAMES W. WADSWORTH, fought in the Civil War, becoming a Major at the age of 17, in more peacefull times he served in Congress for many years as Chairman of the powerful House Committee on Agriculture. His son, SENATOR JAMES W. WADSWORTH, JR., served in Congress and the Senate for almost 30 years. He was often mentioned for the Presidency, he was a president maker. With 96 votes of the New York republican delegation "in his pocket" he quitely but firmly altered the course of American History at half a dozen Republican conventions. his son, AMBASSADOR JAMES J. WADSWORTH was the U.S. Representative on the Disarmament Comission of the U.N. (united nations), He headed the U.S. delegation to negotiate atomic disarmament with Russia.

(this information was written on the dust jacket)

let me know if i can look anything up for any one

Chester & Martha Abbott Wadsworth (~1794 Genesee co. NY > 1820 Queenston, Ontario)

Posted: 10 Nov 2009 5:32PM GMT
Edited: 11 Nov 2009 1:10PM GMT
Surnames: Wadsworth, Abbott
I am a decendant of a Chester Wadsworth and Martha Abbott both born about 1794 in the USA. The couple had moved to Queenston, Niagara, Ontario, Canada prior to 1828 (probably before 1820). He was a hotel/tavern keeper. Their daughter, Susan Wadsworth, has this information on death certificate: [info from Ontario Death records on LDS] Birth date 26 Nov 1818, place of birth as "Genese County, N.Y. State" and mothers maiden name, "Abbott", also from this info. So, from this information I deduce this family is from the Genesee Valley Wadsworths...

[known] Children are:
William Wadsworth b. 1814/5 New York (possibly)
Daniel Wadsworth b. 1817 Ontario, Canada
Susan Wadsworth b. 26 Nov 1818 Genese County, NY
Martha Wadsworth b. 1820 Queenston, Ontario, Canada
John Wadsworth b. 1825 Queenston, Ontario, Canada (my line)
Ada Ann Wadsworth b. 1836 Queenston, Ontario, Canada

If anyone has any information or clues on this Wadsworth family I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

John Lasher

want: William Wadsworth (imm, 1635).....Anna Wadsworth Johnson (1870s Orleans, NY USA)

Posted: 24 Feb 2010 2:17PM GMT
Edited: 2 Apr 2010 2:26PM GMT
Hello, I have with the help of the DAR and the Mormans discovered I
am a direct decendent of Willaim Wadsworth who landed in New
England in 1635, On my maternal side my grandmother was Anna
Wadsworth Johnson who was born in Olean, New York in the 1870's.
If there is any information about my ancestors in that area of New
York, I would certianly appreciate it and am interested in the book
mentioned below. When my son was at Princeton ,he knew of some of the
Wadsworths, but we had no idea of any of the family history at that
time several years ago. Thank you very much.

Re: Chester & Martha Abbott Wadsworth (~1794 Genesee co. NY > 1820 Queenston, Ontario)

Posted: 12 Jun 2010 4:10AM GMT
Edited: 24 Sep 2010 12:01AM GMT
Surnames: Wadsworth, Abbott, Beebe, Ellis
Hi I am a decendant of william wadsworth 1814, 3rd wife Alvira, son Josiah & Carrie Mitts, son william S & Ethel Beebe, son Floyd Wadsworth & Delphia Ellis, who are my parents. I have been researching for about 4 years here and there. My papers show a "Jesse" Not Chester ..but everything else is the same. I am unable to research back futher to find out chester line of wadsworth. You say Genesee NY but I see no connection with william , James, Gad of that time period .
Any info would be greatly appreciated
Patty

William Wadsworth (b. 1814 England) (m.) Deborah _____ (England > USA > Canada)

Posted: 26 Aug 2010 6:40PM GMT
Edited: 24 Sep 2010 12:04AM GMT
Hello Patty,

Do you know if William Wadsworth (b:1814) was born in N.Y State or in England. I'm asking because my great great great grandfather was born in 1814 in England and settled in United States then later came to Canada. He married his wife, Deborah, also from England in the United States. But, I can not find ANY information on him.
Do you know if he had another wife Deborah? Who were his other wives?

If it's the wrong William - my apologies,

Best,
Christopher Wadsworth

Chester (Jesse) & Martha Abbott Wadsworth > William Wadsworth (b. 1814) & 3 wives

Posted: 23 Sep 2010 11:31PM GMT
Edited: 23 Sep 2010 11:58PM GMT
Surnames: Wadsworth, Abbott, Wilson, Thwing
Hi Christopher,
My William was born 1814 in new york to Chester (jesse) Wadsworth and Martha Abbott.Williams wives names were Maria Wilson, Caroline ? , and Alvira Thwing. I have not been able to find any more info on Chester and Martha. I hope this helps in your research. Patty Wadsworth
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyTerms and Conditions