Search for content in message boards

Jay family

Posted: 4 Aug 2007 10:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jay and Vestal
I need proof of who William Jay parents were. This william Jay married Mary Elizabeth Vestal Thanks
Blanche

Re: Jay family

Posted: 6 Aug 2007 8:59PM GMT
Blanche,

"No documentary proof exists as to the parents of William Jay (m. Mary Vestal), however our current JAY FAMILY ASSOCIATION DNA project is helping tie this individual to some other Jay lines which may be better documented and eventually solve this mystery."

Please visit the JFA website, jayfamily.org and consider joining the association if you have ties or interest in the JAY family.

At our reunion in Ft. Worth, TX in October the president of the JFA, Vince King, will be presenting a paper on the early life of William Jay. He will discuss these issues in detail.

Regards,

Joe Bailey
Vice President
JAY Family Association

Posted: 7 Aug 2007 2:43PM GMT
Surnames: Jay, Satterfield, Vestal, Watson, King, Gold, Bennett, Nash, Royster
Hello Joe,

I am in hopes that someday the identity of William's family will surface along with the association of sister of my ancestress Sarah Jay Satterfield to the family. I feel strongly that she is sister to William, given the general ages of the two.

It also seems evident that Sarah married John Satterfield prior to the move to Orange County. It is not clear who the father of Sarah's husband, but two seemingly young Satterfields arrived initially with William Jay: John and James. Later a third Satterfield, William appeared on the scene, which leads this researcher to think that there were three brothers, all of the same family, who migrated from Maryland/Delaware to the area of Orange County, North Carolina which later was divided off to create the county of Caswell.

Estate records found in the Orange County records might indicate the identity of this earlier Satterfield.

1762: An inventory of the goods and chattels of Jno. Satterfield Dec'd apprised as follows: 3 cows and calves 7, 4 young cattle, 2 mares and 4 young colts, 2 gildings, wearing apparel, 1 bed and furniture, 1 saddle & bridle, a parcel of [?], totaling 33 lbs=06=0. (Page turns and the bal. is brought forward. Listing continues.) A bell & iron tools, one pare of spoon moulds, 2 hackles, 2 wheels & a pair of cards, household goods, 1 chest, one side of leather, one hide. Total: 37=0=6. Signed: Joseph King and Henry Gold, Appraisers; John Satterfield, Adm. Orange Feby Inferior Court 1762. This acct. was returned by Jno. Satterfield, Adm. & was ordered to be recorded. Test: James Watson CC. Page 58 & 59 of original record. ORANGE COUNTY RECORDS, VOLUME XIII, Inventories & Accounts of Sales, 1758-1785, William Doub Bennett, Raleigh, NC, 1994, p 24 & 25.

1763: An inventory of the Second Sale of John Satterfield, Dec'd. Two hogs & weaving clothe & old iron. Money rec'd (lbs) 6=18=10. Orange May Inferior Ct. 1763. This acco. of sale was returned into Court by the Adm. & was ordered to be recorded. Test: Frances Nash, CC. Page 68 of original record. ORANGE COUNTY RECORDS, VOL. XIII, Bennett, p 28.

Since William Jay saw fit to share 50 acres apiece of his 395 acre land grant to John and James Satterfield, it may be that John and James may have both married sisters of William Jay. I have found no document for the marriage, if any, of James Jay, but the earlier generations of the Satterfield family seemed to be quite close. Having those 50 acres was pretty much of a requirement of any settler who wanted to have voting privileges in that county. The Satterfields were part of the main petitioners who requested that a new county, Caswell, be set off from the original Orange, so that the settlers had better access to register deeds and marriages, as well as other affairs that required judgements and records.

It seems quite evident that the William Jay was not Quaker prior to his marriage to Mary Vestal, and he was pretty much required to convert to that faith when he married, otherwise Mary would have been barred from the meeting. Has it not been determined that Mary had a brother, James Vestal, who also showed up in the area of Orange County along with his mother, and they lived in the Quaker settlement near Snow Camp in what is now Alamance County? It seems that I recall them listed in the meeting records housed in Guilford College near Greensboro, NC.

I am thinking that wherever one finds the early Jay settlement and family, there will also be found records of the Satterfield family, which should somewhat cinch the identity of the two families; at least for me it would.

I would also like to share the given names of the children of my John and Sarah Jay Satterfield, since these may also provide clues to the earlier generations of the Jays: Isaac, Jesse, Rachel, Mary, William, James D. and Sarah.

The Jay association seemed to have been significant enough to my Satterfield family in that my great grandmother, Sarah Jay Satterfield Royster was given her name to honor her own great-grandmother, Sarah Jay.

I just wanted to be sure that this Jay/Satterfield connection is given it's part in validating the identity of the next generation of Jays beyond William.

Very best regards,

John Fox
Winston Salem, NC

Posted: 10 Apr 2011 7:27PM GMT
Surnames: Jay, Satterfield, Harris, Royster
Hi,
My GG Grandmother's name was Sarah Jay Satterfield Royster. She was married to my GG Grandfather Solomon Royster. He was killed in the Civil War about 1865. She gave birth to my G Grandfather Stanfield Solomon Royster. When my GG Grandfather went off to war he didn't know my GG Grandmother was pregnant. She never remarried and farmed the land with her children til she died.
My G Grandfather Royster married Lillie Belle Harris and they raised a large family.
My grandmother was Minnie Lee Royster and she married William Moses Slade. They had 2 children Robert Wilson Slade who was born in 1913 and died in 1916. My mother was Alma Elizabeth Slade Ramsey wife of George W Ramsey.
I think that my GG Grandmother is the Sarah Jay Satterfield that you have been looking for.
If I can be of anymore help please feel free to E Mail me at Kayezbo@Yahoo.com.
Thanks,
Kaye Ramsey Botelis
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Terms and Conditions