Search for content in message boards

Wiley Marks Moundsville Prison West Virginia for Murder of Grover Leason

Wiley Marks Moundsville Prison West Virginia for Murder of Grover Leason

Posted: 21 Jul 2001 7:07AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Edited: 7 Jan 2002 12:02AM GMT
Surnames: Marks, McCumbers, Cottrell
Anyone coming from relatives of this Wiley Marks. He was the son of Smith Marks and Nancy Naylor. Wiley was married to Malissa McCumbers June 13, 1910 in Braxton County, WV. I have his mug shot photo that the prison takes of people coming in to prison. Just wanted to get this up on the board.

Re: Wiley Marks Moundsville Prison West Virginia for Murder of Grover Leason

Posted: 21 Jul 2001 7:09AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Edited: 7 Jan 2002 12:02AM GMT
Surnames: Marks, McCumbers, Cottrell
Murder took place in Webster Springs, WV in Sept. 1930

Posted: 4 Feb 2011 12:58AM GMT
Classification: Query
My father, Gene F. Elmore, researched this family for years. He had that Wiley was later pardoned, does anyone else have this information/

Posted: 28 Apr 2011 6:33AM GMT
Pardoned, he was in jail for many years... Hm, hm.... I was told that he went back in again for something else also.
He did kill Grover Leason. I have the newspaper articles.

I remember receiving a few letters from your father when I was new to researching. Been a few years; like 15-20.

There is a man that lives in WV that actually interviewed Wiley Marks and has the taped conversations. Man! I can't remember his name. Darn it! He can't find the tapes.

I never have been able to find a death record for Malissa McCumbers; one of Wiley's wives. I know Malissa had a daughter with Wirt Jarvis but I think she died and never married him. There was a restriction on her when she divorced ole Wiley. She was not allowed to marry for 5 years and Wiley couldn't marry for 6 years. Divorce record is at the Braxton County Court.

Darlenea in California

I have an estimated death date for Susanna Marks; paramour to John "Whig" Cottrell... I believe it is posted on the Cottrell website. I haven't dabbled with the family for at 4 years. I put my research aside while I went to College.

Posted: 28 Jun 2011 5:32AM GMT
I remember the name of the man that has the taped conversation: Ron Miller.

Would he be any connection to Robert Miller who was married to Lovern Leeson?

What ever happened to the Whitehair child born of Lovern?
I think this would be the child of Wiley Marks and Lovern Leeson.

Posted: 19 Sep 2012 1:32PM GMT
Edited: 19 Sep 2012 1:34PM GMT
Surnames: McCoy, Leeson, Bragg
OK, I'm pretty confused about a "Whitehair" child born of Lovern because Grover's wife, Hattie Mae, is a Whitehair. Hattie Mae Whitehair's father is Coonrod Whitehair. Did Lovern name a child after her mother or could that just be a case of mistaken genealogy? I ask because they were close and that was not at all unusual to do-- we still do that in my family, per family tradition. Any information you can share would be helpful. Grover Cleveland Leeson is my Great Uncle.

Posted: 19 Sep 2012 10:52PM GMT
I personally have no information on this aspect of Willey.

Posted: 20 Sep 2012 2:16AM GMT
From what I had heard was that Charley Marks; son of Wiley, had gone to California to search for his 1/2 brother who was a Whitehair. I wonder if Lovern had this baby and her mother protected her daughter because of the issue with Wiley and Grover?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyTerms and Conditions