Bolling/Payne

Bolling/Payne

Cleo Patricia Freedman (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Sep 2011 1:20PM GMT
Surnames: Bolling, Payne
Hello:

I am the Grandaughter of Ivanhoe and Pearl Payne Bolling of Buckingham Co. Virginia. I am interested in any history you may have of them.

Thank you.

Bolling/Payne

Fred Hof (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Bolling, Cobbs, Catlett, Shores, Williams
Ivanhoe Alfonso Bolling, 1870-1943, married Mary Pearl Payne, 1879-1948, in 1910. The are buried in a Bolling family cemetery off Rte. 652 in Buckingham County.

Ivanhoe was a son of Dr. Lenaeus Bolling (1822-1894) and Amanda E. Harris (1829-1896). Dr. Bolling, a Buckingham Co. physician, was a descendant of Pocahontas. His direct Bolling ancestors were Robert Bolling (1795-1876), Lenaeus Bolling (1773-1836), Col. Robert Bolling (1738-1775), Col. John Bolling (1700-1757), Hon. Robert Bolling (1646-1709, m. Jane Rolfe, granddaughter of John Rolfe and Pocahontas).

You and my wife Brenda (Cobb) are distant half-cousins. Ivanhoe's grandfather, Robert Bolling (1795-1876) was married three times. Dr. Lenaeus Bolling (Ivanhoe's dad) was the son of Robert Bolling and his first wife, Sarah Hobson. Brenda's gggrandmother, Susan Peyton Bolling, was the daughter of Robert Bolling and his third wife, Frances Brackett.

I tried to send you a family history paper I've written that mentions your branch of the Bolling family, but the email bounced back. Send me a different email address or a mailing address if you'd like to have it. You may also wish to contact Mary Jane Bolling, 3308 Gloucester Rd., Richmond, VA 23227. She is also a granddaughter of Ivanhoe and Mary Pearl Bolling and has done extensive research.

Bolling/Payne

Fred Hof (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Bolling, Cobbs
It was pointed out to me by a reader of my previous posting that I left out one link in the Bolling-Pocahontas chain: Major John Bolling (1675-1729), father of Colonel John Bolling (1700-1757). My apologies for the oversight.

Re: Bolling/Payne

Posted: 16 Jan 2004 7:48PM GMT
Edited: 17 Jan 2004 5:27AM GMT
Surnames: Bolling, Payne, Talbot
I'm trying to work on my grandmother's line -- Her name was Dovie Bolling Talbot -- she was the daughter of John Howard and Louisiana Steptoe Bolling Talbot. I know that we are in the direct descendent line of Pocahontas. Also, my grandmother's first cousin was Amanda Bolling Payne who lived in Scotsville, VA. Can you shed any light on this? Thank you, Leanne Vickers

Fred Hof (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jan 2004 2:31AM GMT
Leanne, I have some charts from a manuscript entitled "The Bolling Family" by Mary Jane Bolling of Richmond that may shed some light on your question. It appears to me that the people mentioned in your posting are connected to the family of Dr. Lenaeus Bolling (1822-1894), a Buckingham Co., VA physician who was the son of Robert Markham Bolling and Sarah Hobson.

Dr. Bolling and his wife, Amanda (Harris) Bolling had many children. Among them was a Louisiana Steptoe Bolling (b. 8/8/1863). Unfortunately I see no indication in Mary Jane Bolling's charts as to whom Louisiana married, but perhaps you can figure out from the date of birth if it's in the right ballpark.

Another of Dr. Bolling's daughters was Virginia Argyle Harrison Bolling, known as "Pinkie." She married James Skidmore of Washington, DC. They had a daughter named Amanda, who married William Miller Payne of Scottsville. They in turn had a daughter named Amanda Virginia Payne, born 11/29/1922, who married Conrad Livingston Hall of NC on 10/11/1952.

I hope this all fits. The family's descent from Pocahontas is well-established and, if this is your family, you have a great many cousins. Mary Jane Bolling is a direct descendant of Dr. Lenaeus Bolling. My wife is a direct descendant of Susan Peyton Bolling, Dr. Bolling's half-sister born of Robert Markham Bolling's third wife.

Re:Robert Bolling/Julia Bevill

Posted: 19 Feb 2004 10:01PM GMT
Edited: 11 Aug 2004 6:28PM GMT
Surnames: Bolling, Bevill, Beville
Fred,
I noticed that you have some information regarding the Bolling family maybe you can help me. My surname is Beville. It has been my understanding that an ancestor of mine, Julia Bevill married a Robert Williams int he late 1860's to early 1870's. Julia was born in about 1852 in Amelia Co., Virginia. Her father was John A. Bevill. I found a Julia married to a Robert Williams Bolling , in the 1870 Census but I have no proof that it was Julia Bevill ( Beville ).
I would appreciate any help you could give me regarding this matter. Looking forward to your response.
Thank you,
Robert Larrabee Beville

Marilyn Symonds (View posts)
Posted: 19 Feb 2004 10:54PM GMT
Is there any research which provides a clue as to the identity or family relationship of the "Robert Bolling" who was one of the troops in the Byrd expedition to survey his land patent in 1733, reported in "Journey to Eden"?

Posted: 5 Sep 2011 1:47PM GMT
Is there any research on Amanda Harris as to her parents, grandparents, etc? Thanks

Posted: 7 Oct 2011 8:27PM GMT
Edited: 8 Oct 2011 1:21PM GMT
Surnames: Bolling, Harris
Yes. I am a great granddaughter of Amanda Harris Bolling and Dr. Leneas Bolling of Buckingham Co Va.
freedwoman1013@comcast.net

Posted: 7 Oct 2011 8:29PM GMT
Lee - I hope to hear from you. I am a direct decendent of Dr. Leneas Bolling and Amanda Harris Bolling.
freedwoman1013@comcast.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyTerms and Conditions