Search for content in message boards

Pitts in Ga

Pitts in Ga

Posted: 9 Mar 2001 7:46PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jul 2006 10:41PM GMT
My grandmother was Arrie Pitts, born 1892, siblings Lillie, Luke, Dove, Will, and Luther. Any info appreciated.

Pitts Family In Georgia

Earl Lee Pitts (View posts)
Posted: 10 Mar 2001 10:17PM GMT
Hi my name Earl Lee Pitts I am a descendant Of Samuel Pitts of Jones County Georgia who lived in Clinton I am research my family History if you or caucasian African American my family was African American the first known descendant of my Family was Samuel Blount (aka Pitts. first own by Thomas Blount of Va. later in 1842 the death of Thomas Blount Samuel and wife Lucy was giving to John Pitts in right of his wife Mary Rickett who was the wife of Thomas Blount but Now the wife of John Jack Pitts Jones County Ga. sixteen slaves was assign to John Jack Pitts Samuel, Lucy, George Howard, Abraham, Lydia, Elizabeth , Wilson Charlott, Miles, Barbar, charity,see estate records of John Pitts , Thomas Blount, and Peyton T. Pitts at Jones County court house, perhaps the pitts you might be looking for was from Jones County Ga. check out the census Record for 1870 hope this information might help you in your research. Earl

Re: Pitts Family In Georgia

Posted: 27 Feb 2003 5:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Feb 2003 6:36PM GMT
Surnames: Pitts
I have been searching for informatin on my fathers maternal side. They were Pitts. and came from Harris co. Ga . from a town I believed called Cataula. My fathers grandfather was named Emanuel Pitts and he Married Vinnie Copeland(date unknown) they had offspring named:Mahillia, Anderson or (Averson), Carrie, (my grandmother), Joe Flowers, Jimmy, Tillmon and Roland. I know that my ggrandparents are supposed to be buried in the cemetary which surrounds Clowers CME Church in Cataula. I do not know if Emanuel had any siblings and nothing about his wife Vinnie. Can you help? I do know that Harris co is located in west Ga. near Columbus. I am from Alabama but my father was born in Cataula, Ga.

Posted: 16 May 2003 6:48PM GMT
Do you have the estate records for Peyton T. Pitts, Sr?

I'm interested because he was the main person responsible for building the Pitts Chapel (methodist) in Jones Co, around 1860 or perhaps after that. I'm not sure when Peyton T. Pitts, Sr died, but would like to know more about his family.

I believe he may be buried in the cemetery there.

The chapel was built by a negro builder, Owen Bostic. Don't know if he was connected with the family or not.

Linda Childress (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jun 2004 1:49AM GMT
I saw your post about Pitts Chapel in Jones Co. GA. I too have, off and on, been researching the family of Peyton Taylor Pitts. I was able to locate a book through interlibrary loan & I believe it's titled "The history of Jones Co. GA" It had a lot of info on the area & it's families. How much of it was factual I don't know. The name Owen Bostic has not come up in any research I've done.

Posted: 7 Sep 2005 4:05PM GMT
Surnames: Pitts, Hill Butler
Am researching Peyton Taylor Pitts of Jones County, GA. He was married three times, the last being to Mary Buford Hill. They had two sons, Peyton Taylor and Abner Hill Pitts. Have family history of Mary Buford Hill who was the daughter of Green and Leander Butler Hill. At one time Green and Leander lived in Jones County, AL but moved with his family to Autauga County, AL. Need information on Peyton, Jr. and Abner Hill Pitts.

LChildress (View posts)
Posted: 7 Sep 2005 9:33PM GMT
A few years ago I found a book titled "History of Jones County" In it was a lot of information about the county & its residents, including the Pitts family. This portion of a paragraph refers to the family members you seek

"....3rd. Mary Buford Hill, ch. Abner, Peyton Taylor, Jr. 1837-1867, (mar. Mallie Choates, ch. Tom Pitts, Oda, Hattie Brown, Lizzie Pitts m. twice, 1st Thos. Abner Stubbs, m. Lois Duffy, Geo. Moore, Mattie Pitts)."

The book is old & I think I got it on inter-library loan. Hopes this helps.

Melanie Kay Gibbs (View posts)
Posted: 7 Sep 2005 11:05PM GMT
Thank you for your resonse to my Pitt's query. I have the Jones County book but it is limited in information and somewhat confusing. Mary B. Pitt's will recorded on May 13th, 1902 doesn't mention her son, Abner Hill Pitts but does mention grandchildren by name. I'm trying to find out if Abner lived to adulthood and had descendants. Thanks.

Ray (View posts)
Posted: 8 Sep 2005 3:30AM GMT
Peyton Taylor Pitts was born 1812 and died about 1885 in Jones Co., GA. He was the son of John C. Pitts (son of Walter Pitts and Martha/Elizabeth Williams) from Halifax Co., N.C., and wife Caroline (Taylor). Peyton's son Abner F. Pitts born 1841, died 12 Aug 1862 in Jones Co., Ga . He was unmarried in 1860 and was his father's overseer, and likely he died with no children. His brother Peyton Taylor Pitts (1832-1867) married Mollie Choates. Children included: Elizabeth b. 1859 per the 1860 census, and these listed in the post by L. Childress: Tom, Oda, Hattie, George Moore, Mattie.
I don't have a list of descendants, but I have seen a book privately printed years ago about the descendants of Walter Pitts and it's possible some of their families are traced in it. If I find the xerox I made of that book, I'll look to see if the lines are continued.

Posted: 19 Jan 2006 3:17PM GMT
Surnames: Pitts/Mann
I am looking for my Great Grandmother, Susan J. Pitts, born in Carol County about 1880, died 1935, she married Jesse Linfield Mann and died in Talapoosa, Ga. Two of her daughters are Audra Leona Mann (1900) and Alma Mann. Thank you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Terms and Conditions