Search for content in message boards

William G. Martin - Abbeville, South Carolina

William G. Martin - Abbeville, South Carolina

Posted: 6 Jul 2002 2:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Sep 2002 8:15PM GMT
I am researching my Martin family as follows:

WILLIAM G. MARTIN was born abt 1780 in South Carolina was married to Rebecca Anderson and died in 1854 in Dekalb County, Georgia. They lived most of their lives in the Abbeville County, South Carolina area. They moved to the Dekalb Co.,GA area in the 1820's. William was supossedly a gunsmith. Most of their children moved to Floyd County and then Whitfield County, Georgia in the 1830's and 1840's.

They had these children:
1. Micajah C. Martin born abt 1811, died 1861 in Tilton, Whitfield Co., GA . married Sibby Caldwell
2. Joseph John Martin born abt 1813
3. Amelia Martin
4. Nancy Martin
5. Polly Ann Martin married Franklin Carroll
6. Rebecca Martin married William Gary
7. Fannie Martin married a Mr.McGuire
8. Malinda Martin married Henry Elliot
9. Caroline Martin
10. Amanda Martin married Nathaniel Wilson and George Smith
11. Lucinda Martin married a Mr. Jones and a Mr. Haskins

I need help finding William's parents.
Anyone else researching these Martins please contact me.
David

Re: William G. Martin - Abbeville, South Carolina

Posted: 21 Jan 2003 6:09PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jun 2004 4:53PM GMT
Surnames: Martin, Roundtree
William G. Martin is the brother of Thomas Martin b.1767 d. 1830 who was married to Hester Roundtree. They arrived to South Carolina from Martinsville Virginia in the early 1800s. They had nine children, one of which is my 3rd great grandmother, Mary Polly Martin m. Thomas Welborn.

Thomas and Hester's eldest child, Jacob married his first cousin Catherine Martin, who is the daughter of your William. She is referenced in several publishings, one states she is from Edgefield County South Carolina. I have more Martin Info..please e-mail me.

Posted: 22 Jan 2003 6:16AM GMT
Edited: 4 Jun 2004 4:53PM GMT
Jacob Martin married Cathrine Martin, not Caroline. The Family of William is still the same.

Posted: 22 Jan 2003 2:58PM GMT
Edited: 27 Dec 2004 2:37PM GMT
is this mary polly a twin?

Posted: 8 Mar 2009 7:31PM GMT
Surnames: Martin
According to my records (but I defer to cobesmom13) William G. Martin was born about 1780 and married Rebeckah Anderson. He died in the Spring of 1854 in Atlanta. Rebeckah died in April 1869 in Tilton GA. Their children were Joseph John (7/13/1813), Rebecca, Robert, George, Carl, Julian, Cornie, Thurman, Hugh and Otis. They bought and sold two parcels of land in Abbeville (Abbeville County Equity Bills, Box 17, Pkg 451). Joseph John married Jane Thurman, the daughter of David Thurman and Lavinia Mann. Jane is a decendent of Benjamin Thurman. Micajah David is Joseph John's son (born 9/28/1840)(not his sibling). Micajah married Sarah Rodman. Micajah and Sarah had two sons, Charles Fletcher and William A. Martin. Charles Fletcher, their younger son, was my grandfather. I have been stimied also by not being able to find William G's parents. I would appreciate any help on finding William G's parents.

Posted: 6 Mar 2013 2:37AM GMT
Do you have information on their father ? Was it John Martin , son of Joseph Martin? I am great granddaughter of M D Martin, son of Joseph John Martin

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 2:32AM GMT
Surnames: Martin, Hunter
I am also researching the Martin family. I am searching for the parents of Nancy Martin, b 1820, Ga., d 1878, Ga. She married Thomas Hunter in Forsyth, Ga. in 1837. I am hoping that the Nancy Martin you have listed as a daughter of William Martin and Rebecca Anderson is my paternal gg grandmother. Her husband Thomas's stated occupation in 1850 was "Guns", and he was also a farmer. They had the following children: Sarah Jane, William, Thomas H., James Harvey, Mary E., Nancy, Eliza. Can anyone help me? Verna Hunter Gee

Posted: 13 Mar 2013 3:38PM GMT
David, I found names for William's parents on the Mott Family tree (Ancestry). John Martin, b 1740 in Martinsville, Independent Cities, Va., d 1821 in SC. He had 2 wives, the mother of William G. was Sarah, no info on her. I didn't check out records, hope this helps.

P.S. Did William G. Martin have a will? Thanks, Verna

Posted: 26 Aug 2014 5:44PM GMT
I am related to the John Bryant Martin family originally from Edgefield, South CArolina, I believe John was born around Abbeville, South Carolina @1836 and died in Lincoln Co. Georgia in 1932.

I cannot find out who his parents were or siblings. If anyone has any information, I would appreciate it.

Thanks S Martin Tyler
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Terms and Conditions