Search for content in message boards

Missing Jernigans

Missing Jernigans

Posted: 18 Aug 2007 3:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jernigans
My name is Geri Evangeline Jernigans and I am in search for more Jernigans in St.Louis and/or California. My grandfather died a few years back and I never met him or any of his family. I was told he lived in California, I am not sure if he died in California, but I assume he did seeing that he lived there. If anyone has any info on this family please feel free to contact me. Leave a comment. P.S Check out my page to read what info I have.

Re: Missing Jernigans

Posted: 21 Aug 2007 2:17AM GMT
Surnames: Jernigan Jarnagin
Geri,

Im not sure what you know about the Jarnagins (and other spellings) but there is a wealth of history out there...although Im not familiar with St. Louis of CA Jarnagins, Id be interested to hear what you have found so far, and share some of the stuff I have found.

Sean Jarnagin

Posted: 21 Aug 2007 5:12PM GMT
Surnames: Jernigans
Thank you for replying to me, so far I have only what little I know. I know my last name and fathers'last name is Jernigans. That's all I got. Me and my father are estranged, but we still talk. I am thinking it would be easier to go to the sorce of it all and that would be my grandma. Trust me she is much easier to deal with. I am going to find out if at all are decendents of slave owner seeing that some of us are of a lighter skin color or just not dark at all. So I will keep you informed on what I get out of my grandma. What she gives me I will pass on to you. Again if you know or find out anything more, please do not hesitate to share with me.

Posted: 21 Aug 2007 8:30PM GMT
Well I do know that the majority of Jernegans came from England in the 1600s, and that others came over later. And in the book Thomas Jarnagin by Lee Powers, he shows that there were slave owners in the family. But tracing the family back to 1100s in England and through the TN and NC area you will find mostly white folks, with some native American Indian mixed in. Let me know what your grandma says.

Posted: 17 Nov 2007 2:33AM GMT
I'm looking for some Jernigans myself. My great-great grandmother was Lyoua Jernigan. I don't have any info on her currently. Her daughter was Jerusha Tanner. Any info on her will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Posted: 30 Jan 2008 4:33PM GMT
Hi extended family, welcome to the crazy world of ancestry.
my name is Cathy. I'm a North Carolina Jernigan a desendent of Thomas Jernigan. To answer your first question, yes some Jernigan's were slave owners, but not all. To answer your other question you have to give more information. What state you all are from names date and place of birth. I have alot of history and don't mind sharing. Let me know if I can help.
Cathy

Posted: 14 Feb 2008 3:42PM GMT
Hi,
I have a James Jarnagin in the 1850 (Grainger Co. TN.) census that I need some help with. I have his marriage certificate from 8 Aug 1846 Jefferson Co. TN. to Elizabeth Burchell. Children in the 1850 census are John W., Thomas A. and Elbert. No one knows of this family that have been researching the Jarnagin's. I wonder if possibly James came to visit some distant relatives that were Jarnagin's and he infact spelled his last name as Jernigan and upon his vistiting changed the spelling to Jarnagin. Can you lloked at this census and tell me what you think. Thank You, R. Webb

Posted: 16 Aug 2010 3:02PM GMT
Hi, My Jernigan family are from MS. We are descendants of slave owners. Please email me.

Posted: 4 Mar 2011 3:58AM GMT
Surnames: Jernigan
@Cathy, please contact me. I would love to see what information you might have to assist me!! jamilasjernigan@yahoo.com

Posted: 4 Mar 2011 1:37PM GMT
Hi Jamila
Let me know the basic about your family and I will see
what I have. Please include first, middle and nicnames. date of birth and death. Anything you know about them. I will get back with you as soon as I can. Happy hunting!! :)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Terms and Conditions