Search for content in message boards

Capt. Philip Nelson (1635-1691), Rowley, MA

Capt. Philip Nelson (1635-1691), Rowley, MA

Posted: 5 Aug 2008 1:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Nelson Stapleton Jewett
Capt. Philip Nelson was born c1635 in Cottingham, Yorkshire; died June 20, 1691 in Rowley, MA. He was the son of Thomas Nelson, Gent. and Dorothy Stapleton. He married (1) Sarah Jewett June 24, 1657 in Rowley, MA. She was born c1636 in Bradford, Yorkshire and died February 1665/66 in Rowley, MA.

Having recently discovered my descent from this colonist, via his son, Philip, Jr., I am interested in hearing from anyone claiming relationship to this family. There is a vetted royal connection from Capt. Nelson back to Anne Plantagenet, duchess of Exeter (d. 1476).

Re: Capt. Philip Nelson (1635-1691), Rowley, MA

Posted: 6 Aug 2008 4:40PM GMT
I'm very interested in your Nelsons of early MA because I see that you are also descended from the royal Howards, as am I. A possible connection between these Nelsons and Howards is my primary focus, as I know much more about my Howards than I do my Nelsons, although they are connected by marriage as late as the mid-1800s. I'm wondering if they were intertwined back as far as the 1600s or earlier. If you can shed a bit of light on this potential, I would appreciate your opinion. -- Thanks, Cathy. Please contact me: cathy@dustyroads.net

Posted: 7 Aug 2008 1:53AM GMT
I believe that particular lineage to John Howard, Knt. I have disproved--at least as it purportedly related to persons in my lineage.

As for any relation between John Howard, Knt. and Thomas Nelson of Cottingham, Yorkshire, who lived 3 centuries apart from one another, I couldn't hazard a guess.

My primary interest in this post is to link up with descendants of Capt. Philip Nelson of Rowley, MA, son of Thomas Nelson and Dorothy Stapleton. Am I to understand you are directly descended from Philip? It wasn't clear in your response to me.

Posted: 8 Aug 2008 6:03PM GMT
Philip NELSON
married
Sarah YOUNGLOVE
on 25 July 1733 in Suffield, Hartford County, Connecticut

Is this Philip a descendant of Capt. Philip Nelson of Rowley, MA, son of Thomas Nelson and Dorothy Stapleton?

Posted: 9 Aug 2008 12:02AM GMT
He is supposed by some to be identical with Philip, son of Philip Nelson, Jr. (1659-1712), who was born 19 Aug. 1690 in Rowley, MA. However, I've not personally verified this information. I also do not know of any connection with this Philip to the pioneer Cherry Valley, NY family. I descend from Philip, Jr.'s daughter, Hannah (born 1694), wife of Joseph Richardson.

Posted: 9 Aug 2008 12:24AM GMT
I do not descend from Philip NELSON & Sarah YOUNGLOVE. However, a family friend whose genealogy I am working on does descend from that couple. I can follow his line back in the Connecticut records as far as Philip and Sarah YOUNGLOVE NELSON, and their 12 children, but it stops there.

I am one of many who descend from Moses NELSON in Cherry Valley. In an attempt to find out who our Moses' parents were, we have been researching every angle possible for many many years. It is unfortunate that any records in Cherry Valley were burned in the massacres. We do not think Moses' father lived in Cherry Valley very long. My reasons for considering the Rowley Nelsons is that Rowley, MA is not all that far from Londonderry, NH where many of the Cherry Valley families came from. And there are a number of "Moses Nelsons" that descend from the Rowley Nelsons. One seems to have disappeared when he went off to fight in the French & Indian war... so it makes sense to find out as much about him as I can.

Posted: 9 Aug 2008 12:41AM GMT
The histories I've read online that concern the Cherry Valley, NY Moses seem to imply that his father was dead prior to 1778, as it's only his massacred mother who gets mentioned in the accounts of the murders--as you undoubtedly are aware. If you ever get closer to solving the mystery, let me know as I'd love to share what I've learned about the ancestry of Capt. Philip Nelson (d. 1691).

Posted: 20 Dec 2008 4:17PM GMT
Surnames: Nelson, Plantagenet
I too descend from Capt. Philip Nelson

As I was reading the my wife's latest Colonial Dames Seventeenth Century Review (Winter 2008) I came across on page 79 Item J. Corrigan, MI: Philip Nelson (1638-1691) MA: #8450 etc.......

Philip Nelson is my 8th great grandfather. I would like to compare notes with Ms. Corrigan, who must be my 8th cousin. Philip was born in Yorkshire, and came to Rowley, MA in 1638, with his father Thomas and brother Thomas.

She was listed as "ARMS APPROVED 1 MAY - 1 SEPT., 2008, (Member, State:Colonial Ancestor in America: VOA#, Armiger).

Do you know her? of her?

The NEHGS has documented Philip's ancestry back to William the Conquerer, through the Plantagenets, etc.

I too don't believe the Cherry Valley NY Nelsons are directly related, but have no proof.

Harry Dell

Posted: 20 Dec 2008 4:48PM GMT
Surnames: Nelson
Two men who descend from Moses NELSON of Cherry valley have joined Family Tree DNA and we discovered we are related to the NELSONs of Brimfield, Hampden Co, MA. Does anyone in this group go back to the Brimfield NELSONs?

Family Tree DNA has reduced pricing for the holidays for people joining an existing family project -- and there are already 103 people in the NELSON project. If anyone is interested, contact me and I'll show you the links to get the special pricing.

Posted: 20 Dec 2008 8:07PM GMT
Thanks for your reply. I have not heard of the lady who joined the Colonial Dames, however I have extensive information on the ancestry of Philip Nelson, including his descent from four of the sons of Edward III of England.

Philip Nelson, Jr. and his wife caused the death of an innocent old widow during the Salem Witch frenzy of 1692. Their testimony condemned Margaret Scott to hang.

Capt. Nelson himself was no stranger to controvesy. He attempted to use some sort of incantation to cure a deaf and mute boy, which failed when demonstrated in front of the magistrates. Lucky for him he was the richest man in town, else he would have had to face the music for attempting to use supernatural powers.

As far as the Cherry Valley Nelsons, the burden of proof would fall upon whoever is trying to link them to Capt. Nelson. Any DNA evidence needs a paper trail, which, in their case, is lacking.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Terms and Conditions