Search for content in message boards

Mitchell

Posted: 16 Feb 2007 3:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone researching Mitchell find a link to this family?

Elizabethtown, Essex, NY census of 1850. Howard Mitchell (66), Electa (53) wife, daughters, Rebecca (28), Abby (21) Electa (17) and Prussia (12).

Re: Mitchell/Howard/Brett Bridgewater, MA

Posted: 4 Apr 2007 5:39AM GMT
It appears that Howard is the son of Thomas Mitchell and Abigail Howard. Married in Oct of 1783 in Bridgewater, Mass. Can anyone give me more information about Thomas and Abigail? I think I see a link to Abigail to Ephraim Howard and Hannah Brett. It appears to me that just about everyone in Bridgewater at this time has atleast one link to the Mayflower.

Posted: 4 Apr 2007 12:13PM GMT
What does the 1850 census give as the place of Howard's birth? According to Judge Mitchell, Thomas, his wife Abigail, and his brother Abiel removed to Vermont:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~mabridge/mitchell/256.html#abiel23

I do not see any record at Bridgewater of any children born to Thomas and Abigail before their removal.

Dale H. Cook, Member, NEHGS and MA Society of Mayflower Descendants;
Plymouth Co. MA Coordinator for the USGenWeb Project
http://members.cox.net/plymouthcolony/index.shtml

Posted: 4 Apr 2007 12:40PM GMT
This looks like the most likely one....

Howard Mitchell, age 66, b. MA
Electa. age 53. b. VT
Rebecca, age 28, b. VT
Abby, age 21, b. NY
Electa, age 17, b. NY
Prussia, age 12, b. NY

Year: 1850; Census Place: Elizabethtown, Essex, New York; Roll: M432_503; Page: 143

Dianne

Posted: 4 Apr 2007 7:47PM GMT
Thank you Dale and Dianne for your replies.

I just found a lead to this family (Thomas/Abigail) in FamilySearch.org. The record there has all the children of Thomas and Abigael (Abigail?) born in Bridgewater. Children listed are Howard(14 Jan 1784), Nabby(13 Feb 1786), Allason(03 Mar 1790), Eliab(12 Dec 1791), Sally(20 Sep 1793), Lucy(01 Sep 1795) and Susanna (21 Jun 1798). I did see the information that said they moved to Vermont and the 1850 census seems to agree with that location. Could Abigail have come back to Bridgewater to have her children there and then returned to Vermont after their birth?

My interest is in Howard Mitchell. The birthdate in FamilySearch matches the other documents I have. It makes sense that Thomas Mitchell and Abigail Howard would name their first son Howard Mitchell. It makes sense that Howard would go onto name one child Abby after his mother.

Howard died in Elizabethtown, Essex, NY. Mother Electa and daughters Electa and Prussia moved to Fond du Lac county in Wisconsin. Mother Electa died in 1873. Daughter Electa married in Elizabethtown, moved to Wisconsin and died 18 months later. Prussia married in Fond du Lac and died in 1910. I do not know what happened to Rebecca and Abby. Prussia is my gg grandmother.

I know that there is still a lot of work to be done to firm up this lead. But I have been looking for a couple of years and this has given me a place to work with. I also just found the wonderful web sites about Bridgewater. So I have a lot work ahead!

Bonnie

Posted: 4 Apr 2007 9:03PM GMT
> I just found a lead to this family (Thomas/Abigail) in FamilySearch.org.

I saw that as well, but those entries are from a submission by a member of the LDS Church, not from the LDS record extraction program. The Bridgewater Town Clerk has no records of those births. You would have to contact the submitter to find out what their source was, but it wasn't Bridgewater town records.

> Could Abigail have come back to Bridgewater to have her children
> there and then returned to Vermont after their birth?

That is highly unlikely, as the Bridgewater Town Clerk has no records of those births.

Posted: 5 Apr 2007 4:07PM GMT
Judge Mitchell said that Col. Abiel Mitchell settled in Easton. Is it possible that Thomas and Abigail's children are listed there and not in Bridgewater?

Posted: 5 Apr 2007 9:35PM GMT
That was an astute hypothesis. They were indeed born in Easton, found on page 209 of the late 19th century manuscript trancription of the VRs from town records, LDS film #1059951. I do not have the literal transcription of that page yet from MD, or the film at hand, but the abstracted information is on John Maltby's web site http://home.earthlink.net/~lilymaltby/easton_vital_records.h...

Thomas Mitchel’s family record
Howard Mitchel, son of Thomas & Abigail Mitchel, born 14 Jan. 1784
Nabby Mitchel, daughter of Thomas & Abigail Mitchel, born 13 Feb. 1786
Simon Mitchel, son of Thomas & Abigail Mitchel, born 17 April 1788
Allason Mitchel, son of Thomas & Abigail Mitchel, born 3 March 1790
Eliab Mitchel, son of Thomas & Abigail Mitchel, born 12 Dec. 1791
Sally Mitchel, daughter of Thomas & Abigail Mitchel, born 20 Sept. 1793
Lucy Mitchel, daughter of Thomas & Abigail Mitchel, born 1 Sept. 1795
Susanna Mitchel, daughter of Thomas & Abigail Mitchel, born 21 June 1798

I see a son Simon there who was not in the list in your message of 04-Apr.

Posted: 10 Apr 2007 3:55PM GMT
Is there a good article on the two wives of Experience Mitchell? It appears that according to Judge Mitchell Howard goes back to Jacob son of Experience. It seems to be controversial on who his mother was.

Thanks, Bonnie

Posted: 10 Apr 2007 9:56PM GMT
The classic article on the wives of Experience is by Robert S. Wakefield, "Not All the Children of Experience Mitchell Are Mayflower Descendants" [TAG, 59:28-31]. That article pointed out that only Elizabeth and Thomas are proven to be children of Jane Cooke. The proof is that in a 1672 deed Thomas sold to Richard Wright land given to him by, as he wrote, "my grandfather Francis Cook" [Old Colony Deeds 3:234]. Elizabeth, because of her marriage date, was clearly older than Thomas. For some years the GSMD has accepted only Elizabeth, Thomas and provisionally Mary as the children of Jane.

The three youngest children of Experience were by his second wife, Mary. The addendum to a 1673 deed to his son Edward reads:

"Edward Mitchell to whom this deed is made is freely Willing to this condition that his mother Mary Mitchell if she outlives his Father shall enjoy Her thirds of what is expressed in the above written Deed during her life on which condition Experience Mitchell & Mary his wife do acknowledge this Deed This 13th: 7th: 1673: Before Mr. John Alden Assist:" [Old Colony Deeds 5:2:440; MD 49:144-145].

John and Hannah were clearly younger that Edward and so were also children of Mary.

There is no proof as to which wife of Experience was the mother of Sarah and Jacob. What can be gleaned from Bradford and from dates associated with those children lends credence to the assumption that Mary was their mother.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyTerms and Conditions