Search for content in message boards

Jerri-Are we Cherokee?

Replies: 15

Re: Clarinda Josephine WEST m John Newton JONES

Posted: 8 Jul 2011 10:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Kathy,:) If you are speaking of the JONES I am aware of their history back to colonial times and they are well documented.
It is the WEST side that claimed they were Cherokee. I wish you could, point me to their history back to Colonial times as all my present families related to the West Line have been unable to do so. We keep coming to dead ends. Jeptha West married to Millie "Sewache" Jentry West is ONLY one of our stumbling blocks. We can find the name Jeptha West married to a Mary ? (this may or may not be her given name) and documented as father and mother of William Y. West b. 1807 father of the Isham L. West, but this does not fill in the blanks as we have been unable to find a Millie "Sweache" Jentry, even in the Gentry/Jentry line which is also another family that is well documented back to colonial times, to a point. But they have no information on this particular West/Jentry union.
It is well known that many mixed (native/white)families did not claim the native side for obvious reasons. There were whole counties in TN full of these families that were not documented for removal. If you were lucky enough to be in amongs the whites you could easily be spared the fate of your kin who may have stayed amongs and in the area where the native people where residing. I haven't found any documentation of the removal of native poeple out area's where there is a county name attached. Only from areas known at the time as still being controled by the native people.
Clarinda filed under her married name JONES but filed along with the family group of "ISHAM L. WEST et al" to the Dawes commission; application # 5465, denied, appealed as court case # 262 which was denied. Can be found on Roll 11, microfilm Set M1869 (formerly 7RA388) of Northern District Citizensip Case Files. (National Archives) Isham L. was her first cousin, son of William Y. West.
My orignial message was asking Jerri (not knowning they had passed) what they had thought about the names that appear to be simular. My inquiry to Jerri was because after reading a few of her/his post I felt they might have a knowledge of the phonics. No one has answered the descrepancy of HORSEFLY and HONIFY, I find that somewhat curious. The letters aren't even near each on the typewriter so hard to believe it's a typographical error!
Now because of all the information that can be found online one can see (thou they are neatly type written now) what the investigators of the day were looking at in their quest to find names on the previous rolls. No one has answered my question yet. I can only go by what is on the families applications and the names they submitted at the time. The Eastern Cherokee gideon/guion miller roll was my g-grandmother's last attempt to be recognized by the Cherokee Tribe. Application # 4589 denied. Roll #48, mircofilm Set # 1104 of the National Archives.
She/family were not denied because they weren't proven to be
Cherokee by Blood they were denied because and I quote here

"Applicant or ancestors were never enrolled. Does not appear they were living within the limits of the Cherokee Domain in 1835 and 1845 as recognized members of the Tribe. It does appear that they moved to Missouri between 1835-1845."

As for my g-grandmothers statement of "AN INJUSTICE HAD BEEN DONE TO HER FAMILY" by not being accepted those were her written words dated March 1908. I can only believe that she felt an injustice had been done, of course this is in reply to Nan, asking me, how could she think that if the original claim had stated we had no kin on a previous roll, and we were denied.
"An innocent person found guilty in a court of law should not then say I am guilty, because the court said so, they would and rightfully so still insist they were innocent."

This finding by the investigators was appealed so as far as the family was concerned in 1896 or 1906 they truly felt that they did have kin on the removal rolls. I, for one, would not tell someone that their history was a myth just because not all of it can be found in the written word. During those early days lots of people white and native could not read nor write but it doesn't mean their oral history was wrong.
Again, if I am mistaken, Kathy, and you know where I can find the MY WEST LINE family history back to colonial time please tell me where to look. The family is still trying to find out how our Jeptha is related to the other West families from that time period. Thou we can match DNA to some. Even with all the written documentation there are still pieces missing that link all our families together. The West DNA site has been of great help in connecting our ancestors back to 1778 (for sure)the rest is family history of their West line but we only have the written word done by researchers, family and professional. But even that information is suspect now that the DNA does show something else. So whose to say if written or oral is more accurate.
I do greatly appreciate your reply to the communication between myself and Nan (whoever she is). And hope this one has not come across as arrogant because that was not my intention. Sincerely Mary
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
_Nan_ 7 Jul 2011 7:02AM GMT 
KathyRoberts5... 7 Jul 2011 10:39PM GMT 
M_WiseHeart 8 Jul 2011 4:49PM GMT 
Joyce_Reece 9 Oct 2011 3:18PM GMT 
M_WiseHeart 9 Oct 2011 4:41PM GMT 
moytoy1730 10 Oct 2011 3:56AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Terms and Conditions